Talk To Me About "blowouts"!!

Decorating By MissRobin Updated 29 May 2008 , 6:53pm by vdrsolo

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 28 May 2008 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 6

Last weekend was my daughter's wedding and of course I did the cake. However, I have never had such trouble in my life, I was so devastated and distraught with the problems, I literallly worked for three solid days for more than 12 hours a day. Here is the issue. It was a five tier fondant covered cake, I used Satin Ice fondant and the cake tiers that gave me the most trouble were my red velvet that I used the crusting cream cheese recipe off of this site and then covered with fondant. After covering the two red velvet tiers with fondant, I refrigerated them and the next morning I got up and I had a huge bulge in both tiers, I had to recover one of them three times with fondant. It was so upsetting I felt so much like a failure, I cried and screamed and shook, it was awful. I finally got it together and finished the cake, it was fine but I was a wreck. In the course of the whole disaster, I forgot to take a picture so I have to wait for the photographers pictures and then I will post a pic for you to see. Everyone said it was beautiful but honestly I was just devastated by all the problems. Do you ever wonder why you even try to decorate cakes, I sure did at that point I felt like giving up forever. Any insight on what might have caused my problems???????

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 28 May 2008 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 6

bulging fondant is often from one or two things, too much filling, or cake that is too soft to support the weight.

I last used the Red Velvet from Confetti Cakes and got a good sturdy cake.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 28 May 2008 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 6

It's also because your cake was cold when you covered it with fondant. The cake needs to be at room temp. before I cover it in fondant and then I don't have problems with blowouts. (at least here in the south because going from a refrigerator to a humid 80 degrees causes major condensation). If the cake has a semi perishable filling like cream cheese, (I won't put something like whip cream in a fondant covered cake), I'll refrigerate it after I cover it with fondant and I have about 2 1/2 - 3 hours before a bubble starts to form if it's going to. So I just try to set it up as close to the wedding as possible and it usually makes it to the cutting.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 6

I'm so sorry this happened to you, you had enough stress being the mother of the bride!!

I too, think it was the condensation building up and causing the bubble. I don't use any perishable fillings in my wedding cakes. For a cream cheese buttercream, I just mix the sleeved cream cheese filling with my buttercream. Tastes great, and no refrigeration required!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone for your input!! I made a wedding cake in October for some people and a couple of the tiers were red velvet, and I sure don't remember having this problem. Joanne, would you share the confetti cakes recipe with me? I have a cake next week for some people, a small wedding cake (two tiers), one of which they have requested red velvet, URGH!!! What Icing do you all recommend for the red velvet, I can't imagine anything other than cream cheese. One more question, when filling your layers, do you dam with something other than the cream cheese, such as a stiffened buttercream? This whole experience really made me feel inadequate!!!

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 29 May 2008 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

Thanks everyone for your input!! I made a wedding cake in October for some people and a couple of the tiers were red velvet, and I sure don't remember having this problem. Joanne, would you share the confetti cakes recipe with me? I have a cake next week for some people, a small wedding cake (two tiers), one of which they have requested red velvet, URGH!!! What Icing do you all recommend for the red velvet, I can't imagine anything other than cream cheese. One more question, when filling your layers, do you dam with something other than the cream cheese, such as a stiffened buttercream? This whole experience really made me feel inadequate!!!

I make red velvet all the time for wedding tiers. I'm not much of a red velvet fan so I made several red velvet cakes, both from scratch, and several variations of doctored mixes, and let a red velvet lover test it. She picked a doctored DH Red Velvet mix (she doesn't know that though!). I tried all the recipes from here, plus others, PM me if you want the recipe.

I torte all my layers, and use cream cheese icing (cream cheese sleeved filling + buttercream), and then use regular icing on the outside. They still get plenty of the cream cheese icing taste when doing this. I also still use a stiffened buttercream dam around the edge instead of the cream cheese buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%