Newlywedws "frosting Plug/plastic Wrap" Method

Decorating By flayvurdfun Updated 7 Oct 2013 , 4:13am by anabel guzman

Williamus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Williamus Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 9:28pm
post #91 of 142

Thank you thank you thank you. Great idea.

cmeventcoordinator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmeventcoordinator Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:15am
post #92 of 142

I am a self taught decorator that has been decorating since I was 8 years old, and I never would have thought of this.

Mommy2ThreeBoys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:36am
post #93 of 142

Thanks for this tip, my five year old loves to "help" ice cakes and cupcakes, but he always ends up squeezing it so the icing starts coming out at the top of the bag and then he gets upset because it's not coming out of the tip. Tomorrow he is helping to decorate his dad's b-day cake and I'm going to give this a try for him and see if it helps. Not to mention how much easier it'd be for mom!

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:25am
post #94 of 142

Fantastic... i would never have though of doing that in million years! I hate washing bags and i only have a few so makes it hard to decorate with a lot of different colours... Thankyou! icon_smile.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:42am
post #95 of 142

We call them "bullets" & make lots of them for the cake decorating table at our cake show each year. It really is wonderful for the kids.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:42am
post #96 of 142

Thanks so much for posting and posting with the pictures. That is really helpfull!

JennasNonna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennasNonna Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:47pm
post #97 of 142

Love this idea. Thanks so much!

JennasNonna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennasNonna Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:48pm
post #98 of 142

Love this idea. Thanks so much!

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:58pm
post #99 of 142

what a neat idea .. thanks

MrsL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsL Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:07pm
post #100 of 142

Wow that is such a great idea

DakotaDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DakotaDesigns Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:00pm
post #101 of 142

Love Love Love it!!!

Cyndycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndycakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:57pm
post #102 of 142

I saw this on a tutorial some time ago, and started using this method. I can't tell you how much I love it...taught my partner how to do it too, and it's all that we use now. It also allows me to put away extra icing for up to 2 weeks, and use it on new cake orders.

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:42pm
post #103 of 142

I use this method all the time. Quick, handy, cleanup friendly. I have several "bullets" in my frig! icon_lol.gif

Tammies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammies_Cakes Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 6:59pm
post #104 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by flayvurdfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywedws

My cake decorating instructor showed a great method for filling the decorator bag with icing. It's called a "plastic wrap" method. It's pretty neat. Pictures are attached to clarify.

Just wanted to share. I think it's a pretty cool way to get the frosting in the bag and it isn't that messy either. Plus it makes switching frosting in and out so simple - if you're careful enough you won't have any transfer colour either.

Would this method work for 2 colors of icing in the same bag?(2 colors wrapped seperately placed in the bag)?

SliceCakeStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SliceCakeStudio Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:04pm
post #105 of 142

How handy is this?!? I teach kids how to decorate and they ALWAYS squirt out of the top of the bag. I'm going to try this next time!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:27pm
post #106 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammies_Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by flayvurdfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywedws

My cake decorating instructor showed a great method for filling the decorator bag with icing. It's called a "plastic wrap" method. It's pretty neat. Pictures are attached to clarify.

Just wanted to share. I think it's a pretty cool way to get the frosting in the bag and it isn't that messy either. Plus it makes switching frosting in and out so simple - if you're careful enough you won't have any transfer colour either.

Would this method work for 2 colors of icing in the same bag?(2 colors wrapped seperately placed in the bag)?

Yes, it works, but you have to be very careful not to fill the plugs too much and be sure the openings are both inside the coupler. You also have to watch how you hold and squeeze the bag to guard against squeezing one side more than the other.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 8:38pm
post #107 of 142

[quote="Tammies_CakesWould this method work for 2 colors of icing in the same bag?(2 colors wrapped seperately placed in the bag)?[/quote]

Yes, it works great! I did it on these cupcakes, trying to see if I could make them look like soft-swirl ice cream. icon_wink.gif
LL

Tammies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammies_Cakes Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:14pm
post #108 of 142

Would this method work for 2 colors of icing in the same bag?(2 colors wrapped seperately placed in the bag)?[/quote]

Yes, it works, but you have to be very careful not to fill the plugs too much and be sure the openings are both inside the coupler. You also have to watch how you hold and squeeze the bag to guard against squeezing one side more than the other.[/quote]

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:39pm
post #109 of 142

I haven't read all the way through this topic but if it hasen't already been mentioned this is an excellent way to store those left overs. Pop them in a ziplock bag and not only can you readily see the color when you need it but it saves on space.

GrammaSue319 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrammaSue319 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 3:40pm
post #110 of 142

What a fastastic tip! I will definitely be using this one. thanks!!!

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:40am
post #111 of 142

I a going to try this too. Thanks for the tips girls! As for the part on page 7 about measuring shortening, I dip my cup in hot water then fill with shortening - it drops right out.

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:04pm
post #112 of 142

I just used this method yesterday for the first time and it's great! So much easier to clean up.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 22 May 2010 , 7:07pm
post #113 of 142

another reason i like this method is because it reduces air pockets in your icing. i think due to my lack of experience, every time i filled a bag with icing, i'd get air pockets trapped inside from each glob i put in with my rubber spatula. then when piping i'd have blowouts. this doesn't happen with i just dump the icing in the plastic wrap, roll it tight like a burrito, and drop it in!

AmyJones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyJones Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:47pm
post #114 of 142

icon_biggrin.gif

Aimomo26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aimomo26 Posted 30 May 2010 , 6:56pm
post #115 of 142

I tried this yesterday and it was such a time saver thanks for sharing!

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:11pm
post #116 of 142

Love it!!!

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #117 of 142

It is a great time saver! I get my bc colored and wraped into "bullets", even for using in my large icing bag and tip so the refills are no longer a mess. It really simplified my life! icon_biggrin.gif

occheermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
occheermommy Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:53pm
post #118 of 142

I love this because I hate having to refill bags because I end up with frosting all over. I am an amateur. I will be trying this, this evening.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:12am
post #119 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by occheermommy

I love this because I hate having to refill bags because I end up with frosting all over. I am an amateur. I will be trying this, this evening.

You will love this, it will save you tons of time and it's sooo neat!!

lvelezr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvelezr Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:02pm
post #120 of 142

It is also called a "bullet"; retaurant vocabulary icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%