Long Shot Question...but I Gotta Ask...

Decorating By Kittybird Updated 25 May 2008 , 9:02pm by Homemade-Goodies

Kittybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kittybird Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 12

I am doing a High School Graduation cake for a girl who wants a "Hawaiian Theme". No problem! HOWEVER: her family wants "We are Proud of You" written in Hawaiian! ACK!

I found a website and I translated word by word and came up with: Kakou 'oli hakei ka 'oe

Anyone speak Hawaiian and can verify that I'm right/close? I don't know if anyone at the party will actually know Hawaiian, but I don't want to take a chance that I'm really off!

Thanks!!

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 May 2008 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 12

"Gosh, parents, what a wonderful and unique idea! But since I dont' speak or write Hawaiian, you'll have to provide the correct phrasing for me. Here's my email so you can send it to me......"

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:28am
post #3 of 12

Indydebi, you are the best icon_biggrin.gif

Kittybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kittybird Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:39am
post #4 of 12

LOL!! I need to be quicker on my feet!! That's a great response!!! haha! That made me laugh & I needed that!

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:49am
post #5 of 12

That is a good thing to remember for any language!! If you don't get it right you could be saying something not so nice.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:18am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

"Gosh, parents, what a wonderful and unique idea! But since I dont' speak or write Hawaiian, you'll have to provide the correct phrasing for me. Here's my email so you can send it to me......"

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif aaahh hahahah funny!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:30am
post #7 of 12

We had workers working in our house that spoke spanish and I used one of those translation things and the stupid thing was meant to tranlate emails, so put put directions and things I wanted them to fix and I hit translate and printed it. Then I gave it to one of the workers, later on that day, the head contractor (luckily he is my husbands friend) told me that there were things about donkeys and some other stuff..ha ha ha ha ha...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 May 2008 , 11:22am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCakes

That is a good thing to remember for any language!! If you don't get it right you could be saying something not so nice.

I used to have an article that was printed by the Indiana State Chamber about translations. KFC's "Finger Lickin' Good" translated to Chinese came out something like "Eat Your Fingers Off". Pepsi's "The Alive Generation" translated into "Will bring you back from the dead".

I wish I still had the list ... it was hysterical!!! There was one about the product giving you diarrhea!

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 12

There is a commercial for one of the cell phone companies that has something to the same effect. The guy mispronounces his client's name and calls him smelly fish wife or something like that. It's all in the transalation.

joshalow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joshalow Posted 24 May 2008 , 5:05pm
post #10 of 12

The safest thing to do is to put it back on the parents. Tell them to provide the exact phrase they want. You don't speak/write Hawaiian, so you don't want to make a mistake.

candycakes51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candycakes51 Posted 25 May 2008 , 8:43pm
post #11 of 12

I just had a similar problem with a Hawaiian cake that I wanted to say "HB Dad" on in Hawaiian. I went to Yahoo asks and requested the correct spelling of the phrase and had several answers and some folks even included histories of how the phrase came to be. It was very interesting and seeing it spelled out in responses helped with special symbols that the Hawaiian language uses sometimes. The parent idea is great too!!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 25 May 2008 , 9:02pm
post #12 of 12

Here is that list of commercial slogans into foreign markets...some funny stuff! http://monster-island.org/tinashumor/humor/slogans.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%