Decorating By punkiin Updated 24 May 2008 , 6:42am by amysue99

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:47am
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueW

This happened to me once with cookies and RI recipes. I directed her to Williams sonoma's website and said " I use their icing recipe some times. That way she got a recipe but NOT one I used a lot. I hate when people try to "cheap out" when they know you make cakes. I just had a friend ask me to borrow all my icing tips/bags, get color and for "ideas" for her to decorate her daughter's cake. That way she didn't have to pay me!

LOL....I guess I'm lucky, I don't have too many people who ask for free cake. If I ever do give a free cake, its my own volunteer work.

I don't mind if friends want to borrow my stuff and try their hand at cake. I think its fun, and exciting that others are interested in decorating. Plus...its not like they will be my next week's competition, LOL, so its like "Here, go ahead!"

Yeah ... you're lucky!!!!! I hope it stays that way for you!

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 24 May 2008 , 6:01am
post #32 of 34

I've been burned before by this. A friend who likes to bake asked for a couple of recipes of stuff that I sold. I gave them to her not thinking anything of it. Before this she used to send a lot of business my way. She stopped and I found out she started selling people my recipes. I figured oh well. Then one day I asked her for her chocolate icing recipe and she told me it was a "family recipe" and she wouldn't share it. Wow!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 May 2008 , 6:15am
post #33 of 34

I grew up always believing the best in people, but the older I get, the more I see and the more experience I gain.....well, I'm just not quite as trusting and naive as I once was, hence the reason for my advice (give her an alternate recipe).

I know for years, my mother's cousin's hubby (who was a fantastic cook) always gave out his recipes after much pleading and begging on the inquirer's side if they asked for more than a year!! And he always left something out. It would drive my grandmother and mother crazy. And 90% of the time his wife, my mom's cousin, couldn't even say what it was. He was always so secretive with all his recipes. Even when his daughters grew up and married - the eldest to a chef - he pulled the same thing with him early on and it eventually became holiday throwdowns at their gatherings!! lol At least that was mostly in fun.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 24 May 2008 , 6:42am
post #34 of 34

I'vhad a few people ask for my recipes, and I give them gladly. Some people just are more crafty and like to play around. But, to be honest, they usually come back saying - "mine didn't turn out as well as yours." And, they discover how much work it takes to make a beautiful cake. So, they have fun, and come back to me when they need the job done right. Everyone is happy!

And, about the "friend" who was selling recipes - not much of a friend, was she? I'm always ashamed of the way some people behave.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%