Sugarshack - You Rock!!

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 5:46am by sugarshack

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 12:19pm
post #61 of 86

I am using the foamcore under the cakes and yeah I was using water (so ashamed haha) what kind of coffee creamer are you using? and what is the difference from using creamer instead of water? just curious thanks

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 12:46pm
post #62 of 86

do you think you could use that powder milk?

5 use her 6 qt recipe as written with coffeemate creamer.. I buy the huge container at sam's and anything left over I save in the fridge for next time.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 6:06pm
post #63 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdybear1978

I am using the foamcore under the cakes and yeah I was using water (so ashamed haha) what kind of coffee creamer are you using? and what is the difference from using creamer instead of water? just curious thanks

how thick is the fomecoe and hoe big is the cake?

the water makes the icing more cracky. the creamer ( or powdered milk) has more fat and emulsifiers and helps with that problem. try increasing the fat and not using the water

tdybear1978 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 6:36pm
post #64 of 86

the foamcore is a 1/2" board and I think this last weekend the biggest tier I had was a 16" round and then pretty much everything smaller then that would have small cracks in it but was only really visible when the cake was being moved or something.
This may sound stupid, I am not a coffee person IN ANY WAY so this creamer that you are using - I am assuming that this is a non-flavored creamer? I remember from your dvd that it comes in powder form, so i just get any creamer that is non flavor? thanks for your help

sugarshack Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 7:03pm
post #65 of 86
Quote:

the foamcore is a 1/2" board and I think this last weekend the biggest tier I had was a 16" round and then pretty much everything smaller then that would have small cracks in it but was only really visible when the cake was being moved or something.
This may sound stupid, I am not a coffee person IN ANY WAY so this creamer that you are using - I am assuming that this is a non-flavored creamer? I remember from your dvd that it comes in powder form, so i just get any creamer that is non flavor? thanks for your help

I think the 1/2 inch fomecore is not sturdy enough for that heavy of a cake and is a part of your problem. try this:

1) add a bit more shortening to the recipe

2) try the coffee creamer ( yes, non flavored powder; it will not make icing taste funny in any way) or use powdered milk.

3) use 1/2 inch MDF or plywood under your large cakes that size.

that should fix it for you.

tdybear1978 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:53am
post #66 of 86

what is MDF?

sugarshack Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:40am
post #67 of 86

stands for soemthing like multi density fiber or something like that. it is a type of wood board

tdybear1978 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm
post #68 of 86

where can I find that? is it easy to cut or do I have to have it cut for me? thanks for all your help. I have 7 weddings this weekend and I am trying to get everything prepared early so I don't freak out icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:58pm
post #69 of 86

i get it at home depot or lowes. you buy the huge sheet and the guys cut it down for you there

tdybear1978 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:03pm
post #70 of 86

Hmmm, they will even cut in round shape? that is so cool.

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:04pm
post #71 of 86

icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:07pm
post #72 of 86
Quote:

Hmmm, they will even cut in round shape? that is so cool.

sorry, nope not rounds. u have to handle that yourslef.

and since we have no tools to do that; i buy my rounds from Chilton Industries. online

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:18pm
post #73 of 86

If you have a Dixieline near you, they sell wood rounds. Ours stopped keeping them on hand recently, but they will still make/order them for you.

ETA: You may have to buy a sheet of wood and then they'll cut out the (round) sizes you desire from it. Call ahead to make sure their guy that does it is there.

I had a 12" round for years, but recently left it at a friend's house and they tossed it. icon_sad.gif

The premanufactured 12" round was only $2-3.

CakeMakar Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:22pm
post #74 of 86

Oh, and Home Depot has wood rounds, but they are VERY large. I think the smallest is a 16"

spunkybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkybear Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:32pm
post #75 of 86

SugarShack
A few post back you mentioned 2-3 tsp. of white vinegar...what does that do and/or help?
I recently found Targets brand of shortening still contains transfat and made a batch last night!!! I don't know if it compares to the sweetex, but I DO know it was so much better than the crisco.
Whoo-hoo!

tdybear1978 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm
post #76 of 86

would it work if I just did something like a 1" thick foamcore instead of 1/2" thick? I don't have anything called Dixieline here (have never heard of it)

sugarshack Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm
post #77 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkybear

SugarShack
A few post back you mentioned 2-3 tsp. of white vinegar...what does that do and/or help?
I recently found Targets brand of shortening still contains transfat and made a batch last night!!! I don't know if it compares to the sweetex, but I DO know it was so much better than the crisco.
Whoo-hoo!

it is supposed to help with spontaneous surface cracking, not the cracks caused by poor support

sugarshack Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:40pm
post #78 of 86
Quote:

would it work if I just did something like a 1" thick foamcore instead of 1/2" thick? I don't have anything called Dixieline here (have never heard of it)

can u get drums?( NOT the witon kind). i would double 2 1/2 inch drums. i just dont trust fomecore under a big cake, but thats just me i guess

CakeMakar Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:57pm
post #79 of 86

Dixieline Lumber Co. is a home store, like Home Depot or Lowe's.

What are drums?

tdybear1978 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:03pm
post #80 of 86

OH, well yeah I also had it on a drum. I had a 16" round cake on a 1/2" thick piece of foamcore and then I had that glued to a 20" round drum (not the wilton kind haha) I think they are like 1/2" thick also

sugarshack Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:34pm
post #81 of 86
Quote:

OH, well yeah I also had it on a drum. I had a 16" round cake on a 1/2" thick piece of foamcore and then I had that glued to a 20" round drum (not the wilton kind haha) I think they are like 1/2" thick also

hmmm..... well try 2 drums. I think it should be ok. but for the biggies I really like wood.

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:01pm
post #82 of 86

I got the buttercream and stacking dvd's a few months ago and they are truly amazing!!! SO worth the money - your cakes will never be the same!

I wondered if anyone knows if you can use Sharon's recipe to make chocolate BC?

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:07pm
post #83 of 86

HEPL!!

okay, so you have your cake sitting on 1/2" plywood...what do you cover the pylwood with? How do you keep the cake from moving around on the plyboard if it is sitting on a cardboard cake board? I am doing a 4 teird cake this weekend and my bottom layer will be a 16" square. trying to figure out how to transport it

tdybear1978 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:28am
post #84 of 86

I usually hot glue my foamcore to my cake drum, then it won't move at all

sugarshack Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:44am
post #85 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by CambriasCakes

I got the buttercream and stacking dvd's a few months ago and they are truly amazing!!! SO worth the money - your cakes will never be the same!

I wondered if anyone knows if you can use Sharon's recipe to make chocolate BC?

Thank you!

Choc BC:

2.5 cups butter
2.5 cups short
splash vanilla
dump in cocoa till dark brown
5 pounds ps
coffee creamer liquid as needed

sugarshack Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:46am
post #86 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThereBeCake07

HEPL!!

okay, so you have your cake sitting on 1/2" plywood...what do you cover the pylwood with? How do you keep the cake from moving around on the plyboard if it is sitting on a cardboard cake board? I am doing a 4 teird cake this weekend and my bottom layer will be a 16" square. trying to figure out how to transport it

i cover the plywood with foil and then uaully fondant

u can use duck tape to hold the base cake down

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%