Icing Faded - Any Tips???

Decorating By newmansmom2004 Updated 25 May 2008 , 6:39pm by newmansmom2004

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 4

I've made two different batches of pink icing - one with Wilton and one with Americolors - and both have faded. The Wilton faded completely to white overnight and the Americolors has faded since yesterday, although not quite as badly as the Wilton.

Is there any secret to keeping the pink icing pink? I have a bridal shower cake to do in a few weeks and I'd hate to have the pink cake turn completely to white by the end of the shower!

Thanks -
Julie

3 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 4

i always add more than it calls for because of that. icon_wink.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 20 May 2008 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 4

Is it sitting out in bright light? Florescent & sun light are terrible for fading pink and lavender. Did you add whitener to your icing first? This stuff will affect any coloring you add.

Are you using buttercream?

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 25 May 2008 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, I'm using buttercream. The pink has to be a light pastel per the customer's request so I can't really add more or the color will be off. I have never added whitener (what is it?) - only pink color. The cake will be sitting in a restaurant for a couple hours during the shower so I'm thinking it should make it OK. I'll ice it the night before and keep it in a covered box away from light, then will finish decorating the morning of the shower. Not a lot of decorating required so it shouldn't be out in the light much the morning of the shower.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%