Putting Fondant On A Dummy Cake....

Decorating By kiddoscakes Updated 21 May 2008 , 4:31am by cerobs

kiddoscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiddoscakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 6

I have my first ever wedding cake this weekend. It is a four tiered dummy cake with sheet cakes...
OK so here is my question, I have never worked with dummy cakes before. Do I just put a thin layer of butter cream on the Styrofoam? Like as thick as the crumb coat? Do I let it set first of do I apply the fondant while the butter cream is still soft?
Any help is appreciated.
thanks
Holly

5 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 6

Skip the buttercream all together and just rub them with some crisco (not a ton.. think like you were putting cream on them) and the fondant will stick to that nicely and then when you are done.. you can easily peel the fondant off of them. Putting bc on a dummy is a PAIN. icon_smile.gif

kiddoscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiddoscakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 6

OHHH thank you SO much. I was dreading putting buttercream on and if I needed to remove it I figured it would stick too much..
I truly appreciate the helpicon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 6

No problem.. I put fondant on dummies all the time to make cakes for my portfolio. Once I put corn syrup on the base and it was almost impossible to get it off. With the crisco once you get a piece off you can just break it off in big pieces and it is very easy to do.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 6

i just mist it with a little water then apply the fondant. icon_wink.gif

cerobs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerobs Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:31am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

No problem.. I put fondant on dummies all the time to make cakes for my portfolio. Once I put corn syrup on the base and it was almost impossible to get it off. With the crisco once you get a piece off you can just break it off in big pieces and it is very easy to do.

Will I have to sand down the dummines and will the fondant be smooth on the dummies after I add the crisco?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%