Help For 12 Year Old Making Cake For Teachers

Decorating By mkkma Updated 19 May 2008 , 11:49am by CakeInfatuation

mkkma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkkma Posted 18 May 2008 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 2

My 12 year old daughter, Madison, is a very passionate baker. she has just recently started doing cake decorating and has fallen in love with it. Since school is ending on Thursday (the 22nd) she wants to make a stacked book cake (with 2 books ~ 1 english & 1 math) for her two teachers. However, I am not even close to being very good at this and we have just experimented in the past. Any ideas how to begin? We have tons of pans (was just going to use a regular 9 X 13 pan and cut to size) and tips. She's used Wilton fondant on a few of her practice cakes and likes working with that and she has a recipe for buttercream that she really likes. Her cake was going to be a chocolate cake from the Magnolia cupcakes cookbook which she loves. Colors, suggestions, tips, pictures on how to begin would be very greatly appreciated. She also wants to make an apple & little green worm to put on the top of the books. Like I said, I'm not all that great and she's got all the talent between the two of us, although the entire family likes to help (including our taste testing pugs) icon_lol.gif

I haven't figured out how to put pictures of her previous cakes on here but I will try and do that later today. Also, how far in advance should she begin making the cake with the actual cake staying fresh? Can she start tomorrow and cover it with the fondant & keep covered and it will still be good for Thursday? Her teachers don't know anything about it so she'd like it to be amazing. icon_smile.gif Thanks so much for your advice in advance.

Kelly

1 reply
CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:49am
post #2 of 2

Do a search for "books" and you should have some come up in the gallery. Send a PM to a few of them for instructions. You might get some answers really quick that way and of course you'll be getting them from a person who really knows how to do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%