Do Straws Really Work For Support? Need Assurance!!!

Decorating By cocobean Updated 17 May 2008 , 10:12pm by 2sdae

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 17 May 2008 , 6:21am
post #1 of 13

My sons wedding cake is all done I have put straws in for supports. Need assurance that they are really going to hold. Experts please advise! Thanks so much I need to go to bed. icon_confused.gif

12 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 May 2008 , 6:23am
post #2 of 13

as long as you used plenty, and they are perfectly even, they work great.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 17 May 2008 , 6:32am
post #3 of 13

I've never been brave enough to use straws. I buy the wooden dowling rods from the hardware store. (yellow or blue tip. I like the yellow tip best). You can wash them. Fiskers makes womens pruning sheers which cut amazingly!

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 17 May 2008 , 6:42am
post #4 of 13

... the bottom tier is a 12" with 12 straws. The next tier is a 10" with 10 straws and the next tier is an 8 " with 8 straws. The top tier is a 6". Does it sound like enough? Thanks for your responses!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 17 May 2008 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 13

I use straws all the time and have never had a problem. Drinking straws are food-safe. Wooden dowels from the hardware store may be contaminated.

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 17 May 2008 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 13

I have used straws in every cake I have done, and had no problems. EXCEPT my topsy-turvey cake, which eventually fellicon_sad.gif So I don't know if it was just the straws, or that and the weight of the cake.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 17 May 2008 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 13

This is a 4, 6, 8, 10 triple layered, cake I made just last week heavy cake by the way all supported with bubble tea straws and center doweling and even traveled a thirty minute car ride assembled and then carried for awhile to get to the area where it was to be placed. Nothing budged or moved a bit.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1219281.html

thumbs_up.gif

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 13

I was nervous too. Straws have worked well in all of my cakes. I ordered the Bubble Tea Straws and am eager to try them. But, I've been using the Starbucks straws. I do put a single dowel through the whole cake, though, and I've been fine.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 13

I don't do many stacked cakes, but the ones i have done i've used straws each time and they held the cake fine. Stop worrying, it'll be fine.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 13

I use the clear straws all of the time! It sounds like you put enough of them in there so you should be fine! thumbs_up.gif

Just an FYI but most people don't realize that wooden dowels you find at the hardware store or in the craft section are not food safe.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 13

OK--dumb me--what are bubble tea straws?

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 17 May 2008 , 9:59pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

OK--dumb me--what are bubble tea straws?

From what I understand they are drinking straws that are larger in diameter. I've never used them but I've seen alot of cc'ers mention them in posts!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 17 May 2008 , 10:12pm
post #13 of 13

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%