Any Vegetarians/vegans Out There?

Lounge By nykoelle Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 12:08pm by Bijoudelanuit

nykoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nykoelle Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 13

I'm a vegan, I'm just curious how many other veggie bakers there are out there, and what kind of crazy success you've had with veggie alternatives for baking? I'm down with the apple sauce replacements and rice milk in everything, curious if you guys have any secrets too heh

edit: oh, and if you're on the east coast: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5931034.html#5931034

12 replies
Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 15 May 2008 , 5:01am
post #2 of 13

I'm not vegan anymore, but when I bake vegan, I bake with soymilk - and silken tofu instead of eggs.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 13

I'm a veggie. I don't eat anything made with meat products (like chicken broth) and don't eat eggs or drink milk. But, I do use milk and eggs in baking and will eat those.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 13

I'm a vegetarian. Not completely, though, no meat or chicken but I eat dairy, fish, etc. In all my baking I use rice milk.

nykoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nykoelle Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 13

awesome, glad to know there are others like me out there. I've had more success with rice milk than soymilk I think, and more success with apple sauce to replace eggs. I never get any complaints so I think I'm doing good icon_smile.gif

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 13

oh yeah definitely, I haven't gotten one complaint. in fact I am not allowed to switch to boxes! icon_biggrin.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 18 May 2008 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 13

you can replace eggs with apple sauce? I thoguht apple sauce could replace fat (oil), but I've never head of replacing eggs with it.

how does that work exactly - do you replace all the eggs? with how much applesauce?

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:41am
post #8 of 13

Used to be vegetarian, not anymore but recently bought Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World because of the great reviews. WORTH the buy if you like cupcakes. The chocolate recipe is probably one of my top fav chocolate recipes. I've only made 3 recipes so far and they've all been good and called for soy milk. Some recipes call for rice but I had no problems with the soy.

Many of them call for apple cider vinegar as well which gives the milk an almost buttermilk quality - adding to the tenderness of the crumb of the cake and helping with rising.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:10am
post #9 of 13

I guess I'm a bit late with this, but it's been a couple months... icon_redface.gif

I am a vegan and ONLY cook/bake vegan. (I asked this question about 6 months ago and got no vegan responses)... SO glad to see this post!!!

I've gotten no complaints about taste, texture either... once people realize you aren't putting "weird" ingredients in cake they are usually
fine. And I've had some pretty finicky customers.... YIKES!

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:13am
post #10 of 13

Vegetarian....would love to share recipies..my cakes are with milk though I can bake vegan if they want.

woohooimallie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woohooimallie Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:39am
post #11 of 13

Woo! Go Vegans!! I too use Vegan Cupcakes take over the world and just double the recipe to make cakes. I have many cookbooks with cake recipes in them but I havent tried them because VCTOTW has tons of crazy flavors and they are all awesome!! I am glad I am not the only vegan baker! People are always amazed when I tell them the cake their eating has no dairy or eggs. They are like "how is that possible?!"

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:49am
post #12 of 13

Wow, more of us veggies than I thought on here... GREAT!

I rarely use recipe books for my cakes anymore, ~ I've just adapted, invented, etc... but always glad to share. (I developed a vegan "Red Velvet" cake last year that's not bad for carving.)

As far as vegan cakes go, they are usually SUPER moist due to the veg. oil. Personally, even if I were a meat eater I'd rather eat a "good fat" (like veggie oil) than eggs... especially when vegan cakes tastes just as good. Only my opinion. icon_wink.gif

thanks for opening this thread. thumbs_up.gif

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:08pm
post #13 of 13

I'm vegetarian, and would love more information on vegetarian/vegan baking! Are there any great resources you'd all recommend?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%