Help!

Decorating By amberlicious Updated 11 Aug 2005 , 4:43am by tcturtleshell

amberlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlicious Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 9

I need to bake a strawberry cake today that I"m going to be stacking. What should I add to make it dense enough to stack??

What about chocolate?

Also- can MMF be refrigerated?

What's your favorite filling with strawberry cake?

TIA! Amber

8 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 9

My husbands favorite is strawberry cake with cream cheese icing! As long as you dowel it you shouldn't have any problem with the cake being dense or not.

Debbie

amberlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlicious Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 9

Well, I'm doing a whimsical cake, would that make a difference? Also, do you guys just use regular wooden dowels like from the craft section? How big?

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 9

I've read on here that you need a pretty dense cake, like a pound cake, when doing whimsical style cakes because the lighter cakes tend to rip away at the dowells due to the weight of the cake being in awkward poitions or something. Someone else may know more though.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 9

Hi Amber! I was given this recipe for a more dense cake from a box mix by another CC addict. It can be tweaked to whatever flavor you need:

1 white cake mix
3 egg whites
1 whole egg
1 small box white chocolate instant pudding (I used vanilla-all I had!!)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups water or water/milk mixture
1 tsp almond flavoring (optional - I didn't use it)

Bake at 350 F until it springs back when lightly pressed.

It had a nice density and tasted great.

You are supposed to use the wilton dowels you find packaged in the craft section because they are food safe.

There is also a tutorial on whimsical cakes posted here:
http://www.cakecentral.com/article1-Instructions-For-Building-A-Whimsical-Tilted-Cake.html

I bet cream cheese filing would be yummy!!!

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 9

Dodibug, that's the cake mix extender.... Amber, to make your cake more dense, just add one cup of flour and one egg to the batter. The cake will be more dense and the flavor is not changed at all.

Debbi

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 12:20am
post #7 of 9

When the recipe was posted a while back peacockplace said she found it on the Duncan Hines website to make a medium dense cake. When I made it, it didn't seem to extend the batter but it also could have been the size of my eggs too!! How dense is the cake when you add the flour? Is it more pound cake like? yum.... icon_smile.gif

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 12:25am
post #8 of 9

well I have a bad experience to share from today...I'm making baby shower cake and only stacking a quarter of the sport ball cake, I'm thinking...how much can that weigh? surely not enough to matter-WRONG, I had just finished basketweaving the bottom, turned around and bam, a crack all the way to the bottom...I'm about to start over, with dowels-I would add a "lol" but I can't laugh! so save yourself a lot of time, use dowels-I have learned a very time consuming leason today.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 4:43am
post #9 of 9

I use dowel rods in every stacked cake. I even have started traveling with the cakes together! They don't go anywhere with the dowels & the shelf paper that keeps them sticking to the floor.

Strawberry is really too light to be using on a stacked cake. I found that out last week. The top 2 tiers were strawberry. I had to make the middle tier cake over 3 times because it kept falling apart! I won't ever use strawberry in the middle again. Only as the top tier. Add a little more oil & less liquid to get it more dense. That's what I had to do. I still was afraid of it fallings apart.

Favorite filling.. MMfluff, cream cheese & strawberry jam. Yummy!!

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%