How Do You Handle Decorations?

Business By CakeInfatuation Updated 10 May 2008 , 12:57pm by kakeladi

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 10 May 2008 , 11:37am
post #1 of 6

I have never priced a cake before but just this morning got an e-mail. The woman is interested in an 8" round 2 layer cake with decor.

I have checked the guides and according to the guide on this site, that would feed about 24 people (is the guide right?) and if I charged $3 a slice, I'd be at $72. Does this price include the decorations or do you charge extra for them? Also, is the price the same if it is fondant/butter cream?

And since I've only been doing this a couple months, does it matter if I jump right in and charge regular rates or should I be giving the newbie discount? Some people have told me that I should just start with a regular rate. Maybe I'm choking on my own fees because even I wouldn't pay them? ha ha

Please help! I'm starting to get interest for people and I really want to iron this out.

5 replies
pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:04pm
post #2 of 6

It sounds like you are charging wedding cake prices. I'm not sure what this woman wants the cake for, but it is just a single tier cake. $72.00 does sound a bit high. A party size is around 1 1/2 x 2 x 4 so that would make about 16 servings. So even if you started your basic buttercream price at $2.00 a serving that is $32.00 plus the decorations (if they are detailed, elaborate or time consuming). Fondant would be probably another $1.00 per serving (average).

The best thing to do is get some prices in your area from other bakeries and grocery stores and some up with prices that will keep you competative, but that you won't lose money.

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 6

I consider an 8 in. round to serve 16. I charge $2 per serving for BC...so I'd charge $32. I would charge $1 more per serving for fondant. I do not charge additionally for "decorations" unless they are excessive and/or time consuming. I'm not going to make a fondant figure for no additional cost, but I am also not going to charge more for BC flowers and borders and simpler things.

What kinds of "decorations" does your potential customer want?

Cakegirl20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl20 Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:52pm
post #4 of 6

I charge $23 for an eight in round that serves 12 - 14 (I like to allow for big portion sizes) - 2 layers with just
bc frosting between the layers and whatever deco. they want (I don't do the elaborate stuff yet - just normal bc flowers, etc. no fondant.).

Here is a picture of one of my cakes. This is one of the more simpler ones.
Hope that helps you out!

Cakegirl20

[img]/media/Dads/Mom & Kids/Rachel/Rachels Master Stuff/Master Files/Cake Creations/Rachel's Cakes/Spring Roses.JPG[/img]

Cakegirl20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl20 Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 6

Sorry, I am not a cup0uter person so I couldn't get my picture on here. Look in my photos at my Spring Roses Cake. That is the one I was showing you.

Cakegirl20

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 6

1st to answer your ?: The price of a cake *includes* basic decorations. If they want a sugar 3-d airplane - specific model or something like that then you charge extra. But for the most part if it is decorated w/6-8 roses and leaves, even if those are gumpaste, it is included in the price.
I know prices of everything have gone up but I feel $3 per serv is too high. For a simple cake that will serve 20-25 a more acceptable price would be $35-50.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%