Satin Ice Black...

Decorating By todolomio Updated 12 May 2008 , 3:48pm by vdrsolo

todolomio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
todolomio Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:33am
post #1 of 6

Ok, bought black satin ice (Because it's so difficult to make the blk. fondant and easier as well icon_biggrin.gif ) Once it was placed on the cake, IT CRACKED!!!! Dried out look. This is not the first time either. Has anyone had this problem? Please help!!! icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 10 May 2008 , 6:11am
post #2 of 6

it sounds like it may have been rolled too thin. It can dry out.

Also, did you roll it on something that caused it to dry out? I use a plastic sheet, sometimes wth a bit of shortening on it.

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 11 May 2008 , 4:31am
post #3 of 6

I have started rolling my Satin Ice out with shortening instead of powdered sugar. It works sooo much better!

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 6

I agree the shortening helps it from drying out.

Kortni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kortni Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:09am
post #5 of 6

I have found that when I'm working with Satin Ice, if I knead in some shortening, it is easier to work with and won't dry out as much even if i use powdered sugar to roll it on. I've tried to roll it out on shortening and it works really well except when I'm trying to roll the fondant out to a large diameter. I can get it to a certain size but then it just doesn't seem to get any bigger. I don't know, maybe it's me, but when rolling out to a large size, adding shortening and rolling out on powdered sugar seems to work well for me.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 6

I use shortening to roll it on as well. I also grease my hands up real well with shortening when I knead it, it incorporates shortening into the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%