Help! Cake Too Heavy!

Decorating By Cakebelle Updated 8 May 2008 , 6:02pm by Cakebelle

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 4

Hello all you lovely people!
OK, so I have this carrot cake that I'm doing for this weekend, for a wedding. The sizes are 14"-11"-7" 2 each of 2" layers, the problem is, that I just baked the layers and the cakes are TOO heavy! icon_cry.gif I've never made a carrot cake that was this big, thus didn't think it would end up bring so darn heavy. icon_cry.gif
So now I'm afraid that the bottom tier will not be able to support the top tiers, and it's going to be covered in fondant so it will make the cakes heavier still. I have no time to get the SPS or anything, I'm going to use plastic dowels, do you think that would be enough to support the cake tiers. I was taking the cake all assembled initially, but I think I will take it unassembled now.
Please advice if you can.

TIA
Vicky.

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 4

Use plenty of dowels in each tier and it will be fine. It is a good idea to transport separately. the stupid things get so heavy.

Be sure the base is wooden or metal to support the whole cake.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 4

Well I would use very heavy duty dowels (perhaps a few more than normal), transport disassembled and you should be fine. There is also the option (If you have access) to go to the supply store and see if you can get those tube dowels - they don't necessarily need to slide into anything like the SPS, although that would be best, but it would give a wider base of support.

I also would fridge the cakes overnight once they are frosted so they can really set up and be stable. (I realize you can't fridge fondant covered cakes, of course, so I mean pre-fondant). I notices that if I let the cakes sit overnight in the fridge, they are more sturdy, easy to handle and less likely to shimmy during transport. HTH and best of luck!

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for your help. I do plan to fill and chill the cakes all night. I think the plastic dowels I have are the tube ones, the ones form wilton? Thanks again I feel a little better now. PHEW! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%