What Was She Thinking? (Guess I Should Be Flattered...)

Decorating By cakelady11215 Updated 10 May 2008 , 3:59am by traci

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:13am
post #1 of 36

got an order for this cake for someone's graduation in less than 2 weeks...omg...i've never done a building before...let alone one like this. the only thing i've done so far is buy the ball pan...i need serious help! anyone have any advice/suggestions/pointers, etc? thank you so much!!!!
LL

35 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:20am
post #2 of 36

ooh...i don't know. if you've haven't had much experience with 3d cakes, especially something this difficult, maybe you might ask her if she would consider something a little less difficult.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:29am
post #3 of 36

She's been watching too much Ace of Cakes.

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:31am
post #4 of 36

Call Geoff Manthorne for help?? He does great looking buildings... haha

Sorry, I don't have any useful advice. Good luck.

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:33am
post #5 of 36

Wow! You'll have to channel your inner "Duff"! How much actual cake does she need (to determine scale). Can some of it be done from cake dummies? ...maybe the bottom tier? If you think you can conquer it, go for it! ...just give yourself plenty of time to work on - and charge accordingly!! If you don't think you can tackle it... be honest, and tell her you'll give it your best shot, but no guarantees! Good luck!!

bake-A-cake00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bake-A-cake00 Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:37am
post #6 of 36

Forget Duff...Ask DOUG!!!! he's the only person I can think of that will be helpful...Good Luck icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:38am
post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Dont we all? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I hope you are charging her well..this cake is a very time consuming cake!! thumbs_up.gif
Edna

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:41am
post #8 of 36
Quote:

I'm going to have to agree with Leah on this one....before Duff, people would not order these types of cakes. They may see the occasional, incredible 3-D cake but I don't know that normal (meaning not rich) people would consider ordering these....

Duff makes it look so easy that now, if it's not 3-D with lights and moving parts, it's not good enough!

What did she expect to pay for such a cake? $1500? Because if you tell me she was thinking like $200 or something, I am going to hit the roof!!!!!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:48am
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Quote:

I'm going to have to agree with Leah on this one....before Duff, people would not order these types of cakes. They may see the occasional, incredible 3-D cake but I don't know that normal (meaning not rich) people would consider ordering these....

Duff makes it look so easy that now, if it's not 3-D with lights and moving parts, it's not good enough!

What did she expect to pay for such a cake? $1500? Because if you tell me she was thinking like $200 or something, I am going to hit the roof!!!!!!

I dont think Duff makes it looks so easy.. icon_lol.gif ...WHat people dont seem to get is that he charges really well for this cakes!
He goes CHA-CHING!... icon_lol.gif

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:51am
post #10 of 36

seriously, keep in mind that on the website it states that their cakes START at $500!!!!!
and I had a mom ask for a smaller replica of one of his cakes for a sweet 16 and she almost fell over when I told her it would be $150! lots of people don't understand

CakeDiva73 Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:55am
post #11 of 36
Quote:

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:01am
post #12 of 36

I'm curious, how many does she want it to feed? Personally I would probably make a small replica with only 2 weeks and then 2layer sheet cakes underneath with landscaping.

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:32am
post #13 of 36

Yes and Duff has people. And we cant bleak out our mistakes.If you could only see what happens behind the curtains.I cant help you, only be honest with the people..And you are the only one that knows if you can do it or not, good luck.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:16am
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Quote:

I'm going to have to agree with Leah on this one....

Me too.

leah_s Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:36am
post #15 of 36

Seriously, that is a minimum of $1500 for that cake. I'd probably quote $2700-$3200 to a) get them to go away, or b) compensate me really well to take on such a project. I hope that you have many years of experience!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:52am
post #16 of 36

Break it down......a stack of 11x15s (6" tall?); one 12x8 cut in 1/2 long ways and stacked in front w/ plastic wedding pillars for the pillars in front,. On top of the sheets, a single hex w/a 1/2 ball on it.
then lots of trees and grass to finish off the board.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:53am
post #17 of 36

Ask Doug for help! I have a friend who wants me to recreate the Hans-Otto theater in cake and Doug broke it down so it actually looks feasible! Doug is tha bomb! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

leah_s Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:34pm
post #18 of 36

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 8 May 2008 , 7:10pm
post #19 of 36

I'm with Leahs on the charging part.

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 8 May 2008 , 8:15pm
post #20 of 36

she actually only wants it to feed 10! i'm really not sure if this makes it easier, or more complicated... maybe i'll just try to do the bldg itself, and leave the steps and grass out of it...maybe some nice green board icon_smile.gif
and on that note...what would you charge for 10 people? $10pp??

CakeDiva73 Posted 8 May 2008 , 8:24pm
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady11215

she actually only wants it to feed 10! i'm really not sure if this makes it easier, or more complicated... maybe i'll just try to do the bldg itself, and leave the steps and grass out of it...maybe some nice green board icon_smile.gif
and on that note...what would you charge for 10 people? $10pp??

Wow, at $150 a slice, those people better be reeeeeeeal special!

Let me wax scarcastic here for a minute.....considering rotten spoiling of children/kids that I have been seeing lately, I could totally see this as a Kindergarten graduation cake for a precocious little girl. The mother proudly saying "Well, she says she wants to be president!!".

Seriously, 10 people? I don't care if its for 10 or 100, that is the one of the most intricate cakes I have seen and doing it on a smaller scale will make it ifinitely harder. Tell her $500 and hope she goes away.

Candes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 8 May 2008 , 8:45pm
post #22 of 36

Holy sheet cake! AND for 10 people???? I'd definitely quote more than $500.

It sounds like you're interested icon_confused.gif More power to you if you take this on.

10 people? Really? What size is she envisioning?

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 8 May 2008 , 8:45pm
post #23 of 36

I so think you can do this...but I wouldn't have the room to even put that cake together if I wanted to do it. I agree.. I would charge per slice your cake + materials +50.00 a hour LOL. Seriously.. I'd say even for just 10 people it would be way more cake then she needs... Or I guess you could stack 7 x 10's and do the mini ball.. still alot of work AND still alot of cake. I'd tell her minimum for your materials and labor at least 500.00 .. if not 800.00 LOL Good luck my friend

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 May 2008 , 10:19pm
post #24 of 36

10 servings is ridiculous. You'll have to use more cake than that to make it look right, so just figure out your per-hour charge and go from there. I immediately thought of the wedding cake Roman pillars to use on the front like another poster did, so you should base the total size of the cake on how big those are, and how big the rest of the cake will need to be. This isn't tremendously difficult, but if she's thinking that she'll get away with $30 for a 10-serving cake, forget it. Even if you charge her on the low end, it shouldn't be less than $250 or $300 depending on how fast you are. And that would be for very little detail!!!

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 8 May 2008 , 10:28pm
post #25 of 36

How about make the building out of cake and the facade (is that the right word)?(front) out of architecture supplies like they use to build models??
There must be a supplier for the models that are built, Right?

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 8 May 2008 , 10:30pm
post #26 of 36

this is one of those times pay by the slice is out the window. Unless it is $100 per person. If you charge $10 per person. You realize you are only making 100.
You aren't even going to be getting the material fees back.
Good Luck.

mmo88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmo88 Posted 8 May 2008 , 10:42pm
post #27 of 36

I would charge her a good amount of money, (I don't care if its only 10 people) that way I either get well compensated for such a time consuming cake or she will change her mind.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:52am
post #28 of 36

Well if you could make it small i think it would be easier. here is my 2 cents, take it for what it is worth. I personally enjoy this kind of cake more, so I would be dying to do it.

stack of 9x13's for the building.
6-8 in square for the roof, then the 1/2 ball on top.
the pillars can be made easily from gumpaste...you wrap a plastic pillar in saran wrap then wrap with gumpaste. let dry then remove (START NOW)

The stairs. i think I would make from gumpaste strips held together with gum glue. To make it more stable I would perhaps carve some foam and put under. Or carve the foam, and then put the gumpaste directly over (like covering a cake).

Trees...make them from royal....

I have to look at pic again, so I will add more if I forgot something.

HTH JUlia

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 May 2008 , 5:03am
post #29 of 36

10 people? A cake mix serves 24 (two 8" rounds). Anyone wanna try to mix up 1/2 a cake mix??? icon_confused.gif Not me!

This is just like the bride who wants a 6 tier cake to feed 75. Sometimes, you just have to tell them "you can't have that cake for only that many people."

$500 is a good starting number!

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 9 May 2008 , 5:31am
post #30 of 36

Well, I'm in late on the subject. But what about a photo transfer of the building onto a block of cake (standing up) and possibly make the 3-d dome on top. that could feed 10. I"m picturing you wrapping the block of cake with the transfer and having the front facade be the building front.

Or if all else fails a photo transfer onto a flat cake..

good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%