Best Fondant?

Decorating By something_sweet Updated 8 May 2008 , 2:00am by Tona

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 19

I am looking for a fondant that isn't hard to work with, yet also tastes ok. I would rather not make my own, although I would consider trying it. I actaully saw a lady the other day who claimed her fondant tastes good, so I am just wonder what she uses! What brand of fondant do you use, and where do you buy it at (if you buy pre-made)?

Thanks!!! icon_smile.gif

18 replies
venefica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venefica Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 19

Satin Ice is SUPER easy to work with.... and it tastes yummy. I have actually had customers tell me that they don't like fondant, and then after trying it tell me that they are now fondant believers. Never use Wilton... it tastes NASTY, and is hard to work with. icon_biggrin.gif

something_sweet Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 19

Wilton is the only kind I have worked with, and yes it is nasty! I have heard of Satin Ice, I will check it out! Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 19

I make my own MMF (marshmallow fondant). The recipe on here for Rhonda's ultimate MMF is great. I tried Satin Ice and I thought it was disgusting. It tasted gross, smelled like play doh gone bad, and contrary to what a lot of people say I found it very hard to work with. It was incredibly sticky and almost gooey. I'm thinking maybe I got a bad batch because everyone could not be raving about the lump of goo I was sent, but it was nasty and I don't think I will buy it again. Wilton is of course the worst tasting, but fairly easy to use. Just avoid it. If anyone has any other brands they like I'm all ears.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 19

I have made my own, used Satin Ice and recently used Fondx. Well..... the first choice is now Fondx!! I love love love that stuff. It is not dry, like I have experienced with Satin Ice at times, it takes the best out of all of them. Then I would use Satin Ice and making my own last. I use Toba Garrett's fondant recipe but still need to work on it. I wouldn't trust it yet to cover a cake. I use it for roses, figures, etc...

venefica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venefica Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 19

I took a class with Browen Weber and she said that she uses Fondx because it has a mild flavor and doesn't over power the taste of the cake on the inside. When we used it in class I found it very easy to work with also. I just myself prefer the taste of the Satin Ice... but if you don't like that give the Fondx a try.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 19

I use Satin Ice and I love it! The vanilla tastes like vanilla tootsie rolls and the dark chocolate tastes like chocolate tootsie rolls. I've made MMF and I just can't like it. Of course, I don't like marshmallows, so that's probably why. icon_wink.gif I've heard good things about Michele Foster's fondant recipe, so if you want to make your own, maybe try her recipe.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

something_sweet Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:03pm
post #8 of 19

Thanks for the info! Where do you usually purchase your fondant? where is it least expensive? I know www.globalsugarart.com sells it, anywhere else good to buy from?

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 19

My first choice is Fondyx but I do like Satin Ice. I always flavor my fondant except for the chocolate, which I then buy the chocolate Satin Ice or Sweet Celebrations chocolate fondant.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:21am
post #10 of 19

venefica, I've had the same experience. Customers come in saying they hate fondant, taste Satin Ice and order it. It's easy to work with, tastes great. I only use Wilton to cover cake dummies. I also love the pre-colored Satin Ice fondant.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:30am
post #11 of 19

I love Fondex.. it's very good and easy to work with. I make Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant recipe from here on CC and it is great stuff. Very comparable to Fondex. I don't really like Satin Ice either.. it smells like vanilla play-doh to me. Choco Pan is another good commercial fondant and it coems in a rainbow of colors like Satin Ice. Massa Grischuna is supposed to be REALLY good too.. though it is very expensive and I haven't tried it.

If you are going to make fondant.. skip over MMF totally and give Michele's recipe a try. icon_smile.gif It's wonderful fondant to work with and it isn't overly sweet.

cakenewby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewby Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:34am
post #12 of 19

Everyone in my area doesn't seam to like fondant but maybe its because i'm using MMF? Its seams to be chewy and you can't fork through it. I have used Wilton and everyone is right it is awful! I want to find something that people will eat because i love covering cakes in fondant.

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:34am
post #13 of 19

I have used every ready to use fondant available in the US (I love to experiment). I LOVE FondX!! It tastes very good...mild and and not too sweet. It also takes flavoring very well. I think folks forget that you can flavor fondant just as you flavor buttercream to match the cake.

Second choice is Satin Ice, which I buy for the primary colors and their chocolate fondant (which is like eating Tootsie Rolls).

I use 10-20 lbs.of fondant per week. Making it is no longer an option.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:58am
post #14 of 19

I am not a fondant user, however I have used it twice because it worked better than buttercream for what I wanted. I have never purchased it. It seems to me that is where a lot of the expense of these cakes comes from. I did make MMF and while it worked well for what I needed, I did not like the taste at all. This week I made Michele Fosters fondant and found it to be very tasty. I made edible pearls for a wedding cake I am doing and it was very easy and smooth to work with. It definitely gets my vote as the best.
I am not understanding some of the taste comparisons here. I hear you saying, "It is really good, it tastes like Tootsie Rolls". Now, I like Tootsie Rolls ok, but, if I were eating a piece of a moist, delicious cake with out of this world filling in it, I would not want to eat a Tootsie Roll with it.
jmo.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:07am
post #15 of 19

I'm a die-hard MMF user now that I've found a no-fail way to make it that tastes fabulous.

I use solely Wal Mart brand PS and MM's (Jet Puffed are awful and C&H makes it too sticky)
Add 1 t salt to cut the sweeteness and 1 T glycerine for added pliability.
I add 1 dram of LoRann butter flavor and it tastes like BC!

I may just try FondX, but the cost kills me. It doesn't take long to make MMF and it's only about $3.

chikie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikie Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:26am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

I'm a die-hard MMF user now that I've found a no-fail way to make it that tastes fabulous.

I use solely Wal Mart brand PS and MM's (Jet Puffed are awful and C&H makes it too sticky)

I may just try FondX, but the cost kills me. It doesn't take long to make MMF and it's only about $3.

I used your recipe and I love it!. I think the butter really makes it smell and taste yummy! It's really eazy to work with too.

~Tiffany

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:43am
post #17 of 19

We don't have many places to purchase pre-made fondant here. And the shipping is way to costly. Although Wilton's is available at Walmart, I don't care for the taste. So I make my own. I use Michelle Foster's recipe. It is delicious and so easy to handle.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:55am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

That sounds yummy..
I am a satin Ice Lover. And although I know and used better fondant than Satin Ice I actually like the price and flavor.. Is the least expensive one with the best flavor. I say if someone wants something better then the customer needs to pay for the difference in quality!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:00am
post #19 of 19

I love Satin Ice it is easy to work with and taste fine.I also like Americana by Albert Uster Nick Lodge sales this fondant and it is the best I have tried.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%