Help Asap Please! Cake Sticking To Pan!!

Decorating By jene4 Updated 6 May 2008 , 12:09pm by veejaytx

jene4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jene4 Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:32am
post #1 of 16

I have baked three cakes in the last two days. The first stuck to the pan after cooling. The second turned out OK and now the third is stuck again!!! I greased the bottom of the pan with Crisco and then dusted it with flour (as I always do). I let it cool for about 10 minutes on the rack then loosened the sides with a spatula and then flipped it. Two times out of three I have had the bottom edge of one side break away. What am I doing wrong and how can I correct this? I'm doing a three-tiered cake and now I've already lost one and the other is baking. I don't want to be up re-baking what I've lost all night!!!

15 replies
butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:38am
post #2 of 16

You say you just greased the bottom, are you greasing the sides too? You need to grease and flour any and all areas that could possible have cake touch them (either as batter or as rising).

I don't use crisco & flour anymore. I switched to Baker's Joy flour baking spray and haven't had a problem with cakes sticking since.

jene4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jene4 Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:42am
post #3 of 16

OK. I feel totally stupid. icon_redface.gif Never once EVER have I greased the sides. I swear I was told or read once that you only grease the bottom. How in the world is this is the first time this has happened to me. Duh! I even scolded my husband once for greasing the sides. Hopefully the ones in the oven now with just the bottoms greased will be OK. I'll at least be able the last one the right way. Thank you for pointing out the obvious!!!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:48am
post #4 of 16

Hmmm, not quite sure what the problem is you seem to be doing things correctly.

Try using pans lined with parchment paper.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:55am
post #5 of 16

I also had problems with this and i did grease the sides also. but now i have switched to "bakers joy" and haven't had any problems at all.

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:56am
post #6 of 16

I always grease my whole pan, line with parchment or wax paper, grease again and then flour. My cakes never stick. Hope your next cakes come out better!

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:02am
post #7 of 16

My Wilton instructor told us this: Never let your cake cool in the pan for more than 10 minutes. After about 7 minutes, the fats that you used to grease the pan start to cool, and your cake will more than likely stick.

I wait no more than 7 minutes, and I've never had a cake stick.

Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:20am
post #8 of 16

It could also be your recipe, some cakes are more "sticky" than others. I had a couple of cakes stick badly this week, new chocolate cake recipe, very dense and moist. Next time I do this particular cake I will use parchment as well as greasing and flouring to make sure it comes out in one piece.

nicolepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolepa Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:36am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jene4

OK. I feel totally stupid. icon_redface.gif Never once EVER have I greased the sides. I swear I was told or read once that you only grease the bottom. How in the world is this is the first time this has happened to me. Duh! I even scolded my husband once for greasing the sides. Hopefully the ones in the oven now with just the bottoms greased will be OK. I'll at least be able the last one the right way. Thank you for pointing out the obvious!!!

You are confusing brownies & cake. Brownies you only grease the bottoms. Cakes you grease the entire pan.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:53am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jene4

You are confusing brownies & cake. Brownies you only grease the bottoms. Cakes you grease the entire pan.

Some cakes you only grease the bottom.

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:38am
post #11 of 16

There is a recipe on this site for homemade cake release and it works awesome! Its 1c each flour, shortening, vegetable oil. Blend until well mixed and store in the fridge. I just brush it on my pan and I don't have to use parchment anymore the cake (or cupcakes) pop right out!

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:18am
post #12 of 16

OH hey .. there it is... i was looking for the homemade cake release recipe...

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:28am
post #13 of 16

I use to have the same problem and would get so frustrated.

I now use parchment paper on the bottom and the cake release recipe on the sides..never stick...that cake release is awesome. I also only let my cakes cool 5-7 mins in the pan.

NO MORE STICKING PROBLEMS IN MY KITCHEN icon_biggrin.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:34am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakebox

There is a recipe on this site for homemade cake release and it works awesome! Its 1c each flour, shortening, vegetable oil. Blend until well mixed and store in the fridge. I just brush it on my pan and I don't have to use parchment anymore the cake (or cupcakes) pop right out!

Why does it have to stay in the fridge?

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:36am
post #15 of 16

I use Pam for Baking, and if it's not a non-stick pan, I put parchment in the bottom, then spray again. If it's a non-stick, I don't bother with the parchment.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:09pm
post #16 of 16

The home made cake release does not have to be refrigerated.

Also, you don't have to make that much at a time, just use equal parts of Crisco, Flour and Oil to make just as much as you need. I don't bake often at all, and I make 1/4 cup of each when I make it. It keeps for a long time in an airtight container.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%