First Wedding Cake, 1200 Miles From Home!

Decorating By thjoghild Updated 5 May 2008 , 11:20am by leily

thjoghild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thjoghild Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:16am
post #1 of 3

Hi y'all! I live in Texas and a friend in Chicago asked me to make her wedding cake for her. It is my first wedding cake, but not my first tiered cake. I was considering shipping some of the ingredients I would need (I use WASC for white cakes) as well as some of the supplies, like dowels and cake boards so I won't have to do alot of shopping once we get there. Also, the cake pans she bought (She got the Wilton heart pan set) only feeds 180 people WITH the top tier and she's invited 200 people. I was already considering baking a separate top tier cake to have for themselves, but I thought about offering to make a chocolate cake also. Down south it's customary to have a Groom's cake, usually chocolate, but I guess up north it's not customary. I figured offering a chocolate cake would give the guests a little variety and maybe have enough cake to stretch that shortage. I could also make a sheet cake to serve if we fall short of white cake. Any comments, suggestions or advice would be very helpful. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:15am
post #2 of 3

Grooms cake is one option. Other smaller heart shaped cakes onthe side will also match the bit cake.

Since there are so many limits on what you can travel/fly with, definitely ship what you can. Make good lists.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:20am
post #3 of 3

According to Indydebi's great 60% rule if she invited 200 then she can expect 120 to show up.

Unless she has already received RSVP's for 200. This should help.

but you can also do kitchen cakes. Just make a rectangle or square cake to make up the additional servings. Just make sure you have the same tortes and fillings as the wedding cake so when cut no one knows it was from a different cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%