Freezing Cakes.......help!!!

Decorating By momof4sweeties Updated 3 May 2008 , 5:15am by kakeladi

momof4sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof4sweeties Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 4

I have 4 cakes to do for the same day icon_cry.gif (may 10)
1- 9x13 double layer
3- 6" double layer
then 1 3 teired cake, a 8", 6", and cupcake on top, each teir 2 layers high.
That is 13 cakes to bake!!!!!
I need help to know how i can bake these early in the wk and freeze them. Can I put each cake together with the fillings and crumb coat and then freeze? I need help!!! an they just be taken out when its time to decorate them, or do they need to be thawed before iced?
any help would be GREATLY appriciated thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 4

First of all, take a deep breath, and relax! Yep, I freeze all of my cakes, both for time contraint reasons and for locking in the moisture. Start baking as soon as you can, get all of your layers baked, let them cool completely. Then place each layer on a cake cardboard, or whatever you prefer to use, wrap each layer in saran wrap thouroughly, then aluminum foil, then place in a plastic grocery bag, then lay them flat in your freezer. Then, take the layers out of the freezer, and you can put your dam and fillings and rewrap them in saran and aluminum foil, so during the thawing process, the condensation collects on the outside of the wrappings. They should be completely thawed before you try to ice them, because the extra moisture while thawing will change the icing and you might run into issues. I think some people on here have filled, crumb-coated and then froze, but I haven't tried, so not sure how those turn out. Maybe you will get responses from them also.
HTH icon_smile.gif

kandypa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandypa Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 4

Bump....I have the same problem, Kinda. Froze my cakes. Just took them out. Cake is due tomorrow. icon_eek.gif OMG if I cant ice till they are thawed im in big trouble! Do you thaw on the counter or in fridge. Can I crumb coat while frozen? How long do you think it will take to thaw? The only reason I froze them is because my fridge wasnt big enough to hold the 16" round.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 May 2008 , 5:15am
post #4 of 4

Did you put your 16"er together w/filling? OR are they just layers? Layers will take lass time....and yes you can thaw on the counter....or in the frig. Of course on thecounter will take less time. I should take a couple of hrs.
I see you posted this early Fri a.m so by now you are all done. Sorry I didn't see it sooner.
For future knowledge: you can crumb coat fzn but it will take much longer for the cakes to thaw and the crumb coat to dry. I have heard of people icing fzn cakes but there is a great possibility of the icing falling off! Usually in big sections icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%