Smoothest Buttercream Frosting Recipe For Making Roses

Baking By Katied75 Updated 19 Nov 2016 , 9:54pm by SeriousCakes

Katied75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katied75 Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:04am
post #1 of 24

I am taking classes now, and can't get my rose petals to stop tearing, ripping, and creating jagged edges. Even when mixing the frosting I can see the little air pockets, bubbles, tears, etc. as the frosting is pulled. I use the traditional Wilton recipe, and have also used half butter.

There must be a smooth recipe that works wonderfully for creating buttercream roses. Please share the recipe! Also, how long can the frosting be left out at room temperature for?

Thank you!

23 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 2 May 2008 , 6:16am
post #2 of 24

If it does not have butter, the frosting is 'safe' covered tightly on the counter for possibly weeks, unless it dries out.

To help with the rose texture, you need a bit softer icing. You can add some corn syrup and stir with a spatula to help reduce the bubbles.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:21am
post #3 of 24

Here's my recipe:

Hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:45am
post #4 of 24

This is how I do mine. It just depends on which method you like, but I couldn't make decent roses at all until I saw this....... you use a pretzel rod!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1x2pkILr_g&feature=related

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:49am
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

Here's my recipe:

Those videos are great - thanks for sharing.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:55am
post #6 of 24

serious_cakes and mjballinger, your videos are really good. enjoyed them. i,m pretty good at making roses also. i teach them at michaels through the wilton classes. of course , i can,t teach them on a stick , but know how . i have to show them on the nail etc. anyway, loved both of yours also. thanks for showing them.

feliciangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feliciangel Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:16am
post #7 of 24

check out sugar shack video on you tube

it did wonders for my butter cream.

if my link doesn't work then search

making a batch of buttercream by sugar shack

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:35am
post #8 of 24

Serious_Cakes
You work really fast once you get warmed up. lol
I have never tried making roses like that. I must put that on my "things to do" list.

SeriousCakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:42am
post #9 of 24

Hee hee, no way, I'm Super Caker! I'd show you my cape but it's at the dry cleaners icon_lol.gif

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:58am
post #10 of 24

I like to use SMBC for roses...it is smooth as silk...the colours are mellow and it gives the most beautiful roses IMHO...
I did some floral cupcakes a while back...I didn't like the ragged edges on the usual bc so when I tried SMBC for them, I was so surprised and pleased...
HTH

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:44am
post #11 of 24

Serious_Cakes,
The video you gave was awesome, but I was wondering if you use the butter, does it make your icing, when finished, a yellow color? It looked like that on the video. If so, how do you get a pure white icing?

SeriousCakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:52am
post #12 of 24

The lighting is not good in my kitchen so even though this recipe turns out a nice white color, it does not show in my film. You can see in *some* of my pictures that it is almost white, a little closer to ivory but not yellow. The longer you beat the butter, the lighter it becomes.

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:58am
post #13 of 24

Thanks! I will try your recipe for my next cake. I have been using the Wilton recipe ever since I started decorating cakes, but I am tired of it, plus I always get bubbles. The reason for that may be because I use the whisk attachment on my Kitchenaid-next time I will use the attachment you use and see how I do!

mjballinger Posted 4 May 2008 , 5:37am
post #14 of 24
Quote:

Here's my recipe:

Wow, you are awesome! I had watched that before and just thought, I could never do it that way. I'm going to have to give it a try though.

SeriousCakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #15 of 24

Lol- I tried your method too! I did like it but once I tried piping on a cake that was it icon_biggrin.gif

mjballinger Posted 4 May 2008 , 10:46pm
post #16 of 24

I don't think I worded my original message well. The YouTube video is not me, or my method ~ it's just one that I found and learned to do it that way.
Just didn't want to take credit for something that's not mine!

SeriousCakes Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:30am
post #17 of 24

icon_lol.gif No, not your wording, I made an assumption, and you know what they say when you assume things icon_biggrin.gif

mjballinger Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:50am
post #18 of 24
Quote:

icon_lol.gif No, not your wording, I made an assumption, and you know what they say when you assume things icon_biggrin.gif

lol. I've been known to do the same thing!

angkimbrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angkimbrell Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:54pm
post #19 of 24

Serious_cakes: do you cover your cakes with this icing as well? do they have to be refridgerated due to cream and butter? Do you have trouble tinting it with the butter?

SeriousCakes Posted 11 May 2008 , 8:28pm
post #20 of 24

Yep, it's all the same frosting, just a little thicker for the roses. Does not need to be refrigerated, the sugar to fat ratio acts as a preservative. And if you look at my cakes, you can see I have no trouble tinting thumbs_up.gif

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:52am
post #21 of 24

Sugar Shack. Thank's for that video. I'll have to watch it again and again. My icing always is FULL of air. It makes it really difficult to ice smoothly.

yffrank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yffrank Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:25pm
post #22 of 24

I only use Sugar Shak's recipe. It is without a doubt the best buttercream recipe I've ever used. It makes beautiful flower, Smooth as silk finish on your cakes and the taste is greaticon_wink.gif

htizzle21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
htizzle21 Posted 19 Nov 2016 , 9:40pm
post #23 of 24

Serious Cakes, would you mind sharing the buttercream recipe you used for this video? Im about to start a cake that the person requested 75 roses...itd be nice to have  a realiable recipe to work with

SeriousCakes Posted 19 Nov 2016 , 9:54pm
post #24 of 24

https://goo.gl/photos/mczSimTtpJ9VGrwPA

Let me know if that link doesn't work, I'm trying to post from my phone :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%