Need Help With Serving Sizes?

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 2 May 2008 , 12:06am by indydebi

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 8

I need to make a two tiered cake to serve 50. I was going to do a 10" and 8" round tiers but I checked Earlenes serving chart and that serves 45.
So my other options are a 12" and 10" but that would be alot of cake (70 servings), or a 12" and 8" but I looked at my pans and a 4" difference in the tiers looks kinda of wierd to me.

So what do I do, give them 45 servings (Wilton says a 10" & 8" serves 62?) or give them 70 servings with the 12" & 10".

Or if anyone has any examples of cakes stacked with a 4" difference in size that would be helpful also, I can't seem to picture it ?
Thank you in advance!

7 replies
BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 8

This cake is a 6" and a 10". The top tier is set right back on the bottom cake. I wanted a big size difference to put my wake boarder in the space.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1211807

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 8

There is a 4" diff is size between the bottom two tiers of this cake. I thought it would look weird too but it turned out to be a great feature on the cake. So I have been told! icon_rolleyes.gif Of course this is a four tier and you only need a two tier, it still shows what can be done.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1272

Good luck!

Amy

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 8

I go by Wiltons chart and have never had any problems... No one has said they didnt have enough cake.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 8

wow, those both look great and the 4" difference does'nt look anything like what I thought it would!
Thank you!
So do yall think a 12" and a 8" will look ok stacked?

shadow79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadow79 Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcake1960

I go by Wiltons chart and have never had any problems... No one has said they didnt have enough cake.

DITTO!

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 8

Go for it!!! It will be beautiful!!!!

Amy

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 May 2008 , 12:06am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcake1960

DITTO!

same here. I usually have cake left over, and a few guests frequently ask for smaller pieces than what I'm cutting.

Rarely if ever will you ever come up with a cake size combo that gives you what you want. You need to tell the client "I can make you a cake that serves 45 or a cake that serves 70. Which do you want?" I do this all the time with brides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%