Another Sugar Beer Bottle Recipe?

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 27 May 2008 , 2:06am by sugarMomma

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:37am
post #1 of 38

I have a problem with mine coming out sticky, and progressively getting worse (due to humidity I suppose). Is there anything I can add to the recipe to harden it (what does isomalt do), or can I change the proportions to less corn syrup?

Currently I am using Sweet Results recipe of 1/2 cup each corn syrup and sugar.

37 replies
sugarMomma Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:39am
post #2 of 38

Any sugar workers out there?

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 38

I'm just getting into the sugar bottles. I live on the coast, so humidity is a huge problem for me, too. I have finally made two pretty good bottles using SweetResults' method, and I am storing them in a plastic container with desiccant as an experiment. I have found that if I don't get the temp of the melted sugar to at least 310° that the product will be sticky. This is a problem if you want clear sugar icon_lol.gif . I have bought a small amount of Isomalt to try and am hoping that it will give me almost clear results. I tried making a "diamond" for a gumpaste engagement ring, but it ended up looking like topaz instead icon_cry.gif . Maybe some experts can give up both some advice thumbs_up.gif

sugarMomma Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 38

How much isomalt do you add? What exactly does it do?

ibmoser Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 38

Isomalt is a sugar substitute - it is a white substance that looks like sugar. You use just Isomalt and enough water to dissolve it - nothing else. You can, of course, add color or flavorings. It supposedly is a bit less hygroscopic than sugar, so it should hold up better in humid climates. Check out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isomalt

Maybe someone who has used Isomalt will chime in. I'll be trying it this week-end.

sugarMomma Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 38

I just bought some, but am confused if I should still add in the corn syrup.

ibmoser Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 38

From what I have read and was told in an ICES DOS demo, you do not add corn syrup. Just Isomalt and water with color and/or flavoring if desired. The directions that came with the Isomalt call for just water also icon_smile.gif

sugarMomma Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 38

Thanks, I guess I should read the directions, I gotta try it tonight or tomorrow for a groom's cake Friday. I'll let you know how it goes, I live on the coast as well. Like 2 blocks away.

ibmoser Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:40pm
post #9 of 38

You'll try yours before I have an opportunity to try a clear bottle - I'll look forward to hearing about your experience!

sugarMomma Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:42am
post #10 of 38

The only thing is that I don't want a clear bottle, hope the isomalt doesn't foil me...

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:48am
post #11 of 38

I can't be of much help - but I'd like to know how it works out. I'd like to do one of these... if you make a mold, could you take pictures of how you make the mold? I'm such a visual person that just reading the instructions from SweetResults isn't making much sense to me.....

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:08am
post #12 of 38

I had taken pictures at one point when I made my second mold - but they disappeared before I ever posted them icon_sad.gif DH must have deleted them or something.

I have so many cakes this weekend I don't think I can manage pictures, but I really hope to take some eventually and post a picture tutorial.

For the soft latex mold, just paint the empty beer bottle all over with the latex. Let it dry a few hours between coats, it will take MANY coats, I think I got mine about 1/8" thick, the coats can be pretty thick as long as you make sure they dry long enough in between (make sure you cover the opening as you will be pouring the sugar into what would be the bottom of bottle, so there will be no opening at the top.)

This mold is soft so you can fill it then roll it off the hardened sugar when it cools off. The only way I can explain it (please forgive the analogy) is like rolling a condom off - or rolling down a sock except you will be rolling it up the bottle - does that make any sense?

So since this mold is soft you will need another mold made from something solid and NOT flexible to hold the soft mold to shape - this can be made from clay that hardens or latex that hardens - this mold is only HALF the bottle from top to bottom, like if you took a knife and sliced the bottle right down the middle from the bottle cap to the base.

Does this help make it a little clearer?

I would LOVE to know how the Isomalt works!! Please post!

I think it is the humidity that is making it sticky - but make sure you cook the sugar long enough or it will be sticky even without the humidity. Also, I've had bottles be a little sticky and cloudy right out of the mold and then they got "better" after a bit of time.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:22am
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

I have so many cakes this weekend I don't think I can manage pictures, but I really hope to take some eventually and post a picture tutorial.

oohhhh . . . . yessss . . . . a tutorial please . . . thumbs_up.gif

sugarMomma Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:49am
post #14 of 38

The only thing is that I don't want a clear bottle, hope the isomalt doesn't foil me...

sugarMomma Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:45am
post #15 of 38

well I just tried one using half isomalt/sugar with the corn syrup. It does change color the longer you cook it, yay!

I'm too tired to wait for it to harden so I'll see how it did in the morn.

sugarMomma Posted 1 May 2008 , 10:29pm
post #16 of 38

So far the isomalt is helping with the problem some.

The bottles are a little sticky but not nearly as much. I also am storing them upright on a homemade rack in a container with silica gel at the bottom. (Pulling out all tht stops)

I am going to try teaking the recipe when I have time.

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:06pm
post #17 of 38

How far ahead can ylou make the sugar bottles? How long will they keep?

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 17 May 2008 , 10:08pm
post #18 of 38

I use a dehumidifier with mine. I'd love to see what happens with isomalt.

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:37pm
post #19 of 38

Oh! I'm so glad this got brought up. I made mine 2 weeks before they were due... when I went to get them, they had melted like crazy (during the horrible heat of last summer)! Had to make more at the last minute.

I tried the latex (just way too flimsy for me) so then I tried the Amazing mold putty and it was so easy and held up very well through about 12 bottles. Then it seemed to get too many divits/indentions inside.

Hope Isomalt is the answer because the bottles were awesome!

Thanks so much again Sweetresults for posting how you made them! I wouldn't have been a hit without you!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:58pm
post #20 of 38

Sweetresults~ I have 7 kids, so I didn't understand your analagy.
Ha, ha.!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:41am
post #21 of 38

LMAO Vicky lol

sugarMomma Posted 18 May 2008 , 7:41pm
post #22 of 38

So the bottles I made with isomalt turned out much better, and the spares I had left-over and stored in a box with silica gel at the bottom are bone dry and not sticky at all 2 weeks later.

Here is a picture of the bottles I used:

sugarMomma Posted 18 May 2008 , 7:44pm
post #23 of 38

Oh, gotta shrink my pic to upload it, give me a few, sorry.....

SweetResults Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:36am
post #24 of 38

Vicky you are KILLING me!! LOL!! icon_biggrin.gif

How about rolling off a knee sock or stockings? You seem to know how to take those off! icon_biggrin.gif

I guess I should have thought of that analogy first....

vickymacd Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:50am
post #25 of 38

Actually, not to take away from this thread, but at work I had to show a new girl how to blow up balloons using the air compressor. Everytime I tried to slip the balloon on it blew off! Finally, the new girl says "How can you not keep that on?"
The manager walked by and said "She has 7 kids. YOU figure it out".

Ha, ha.
Again, sorry to have thrown this in!!

SweetResults Posted 19 May 2008 , 1:40pm
post #26 of 38

You win!!! Funniest comment of the day!! icon_biggrin.gif

sugarMomma Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:21pm
post #27 of 38

Ok, after a little computer trouble, here we go:
LL

vickymacd Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:24pm
post #28 of 38

Wow, those are amazing!! I still don't have the guts to try something like that! You all make it seem easy!!

sugarMomma Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:24pm
post #29 of 38

Here's the finished cake:
LL

sugarMomma Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:30pm
post #30 of 38

The weight of the "ice" and the bottles caused the cake to settle more and the icing to buckle and crack, which disappointed me greatly, but at least I'll know for next time, thought not sure how to compensate for it.

The above cake was chocolate Guiness stout cake with decorator's cream cheese.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%