Better Tasting Cakes And Icing Help!

Decorating By AnjaV Updated 1 May 2008 , 3:49pm by mariela_ms

AnjaV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnjaV Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 8

Do you guys make your cakes from scratch?
Do you make them from a box?
Do you make them from a box and then doctor them up??

Im not sure exactly what Im doing wrong, but even when I make them from a box and doctor them (from recipes on this site even!) they still taste like they came from a box.
Any tips or suggestions???

Also, I have a great tasting butter creme recipe, (made with real butter) but the problem is that it melts (quickly) from the heat in my hands while Im piping it. Is it because I just use the disposable bags? Would those thicker bags help block some of the heat from my hands??
(Or should I just keep working on finding an icing recipe that works for me? I've tried a few and either they taste like Crisco, or they are so stiff I can't pipe them, or they are so runny they don't hold their shape, or they melt! lol)

Boy there are days i wish I had someone to be an apprentice for! lol

7 replies
blues-butterfly66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blues-butterfly66 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:36am
post #2 of 8

Hi Anjav , I'm a newbie too and I think we learn new tricks as we go . I make cakes from scratch most of the time but I also use cake mixes from box I alway's add clear butter flavoring or clear vanilla flavoring to mixes to enhance the taste . In my buttercream icing I use all Crisco instead of butter because it holds up better ,doesn't melt as fast.I also use clear vanilla and clear butter flavoring . If you will send me your email I will send you recipe if you'd like [email protected]

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 8

There are lots of wonderful recipes on this site. You are just going to have to experiement to find what you like. We can all tellyou what our favorite ones are but you might not like them. Have you tried the WASC recipe that I posted? You can't get much better than thaticon_smile.gif Also try The Cake Mix Docotor book.
As for the problem w/your icing melting....many people keep two bags made up...one in the frig while using one. As soon as it gets soft, change bags. Others keep a bowl of ice water to dip their hands in to cool them down.

AnjaV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnjaV Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 8

You know, come to think of it, one of the recipes I used, we never even got to try, because we all came down with a stomach virus the next day and I was too afraid to serve the cake and tossed it out.. WASC sounds familiar and that might have been what I tried! lol I'll have to go look!
Thanks!

ashcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashcake Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 8

I use box cake mix. I doctor them up. I'm still trying to figure out some different things to do to make them better. I sift my cake mix, to make sure to get all the lumps out. Add mayo instead of oil. This helps make it moist. I also lower my tempeture to 325 degrees instead of the 350 the box says. Hopefully you can find something that works good for you. Sorry I can't help you with the icing, I use all crisco.

Good luck!

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 8

I used to use an all Crisco recipe and then I started blending in real butter. It is just a nice medium. The Crisco helps it not melt as fast and the butter tastes great. I agree with kakeladi too, the cake mix Dr is great and so is her WASC cake (thank you kakeladi!!!) Just keep trying and you will figure out what you like. There are alot of great scratch bakers on here that have great recipes!
icon_biggrin.gif

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 8

I used to use an all Crisco recipe and then I started blending in real butter. It is just a nice medium. The Crisco helps it not melt as fast and the butter tastes great. I agree with kakeladi too, the cake mix Dr is great and so is her WASC cake (thank you kakeladi!!!) Just keep trying and you will figure out what you like. There are alot of great scratch bakers on here that have great recipes!
icon_biggrin.gif

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 8

I use mostly box mixes, but I doctor them!

I love the books from Cake mix Doctor! The cakes are soo good! Adding pudding mixes, substituting milk for water, butter for oil....all of that enhances the flavor sooo soo much!

But i still do a couple of scratch cakes like Red Velvet !!!

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%