Baking By kakeladi Updated 16 Jul 2018 , 12:21am by onecakelady

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 16 May 2008 , 7:34am
post #61 of 146

icon_smile.gif

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 16 May 2008 , 7:45am
post #62 of 146

Thank you so much for posting the orignal recipe Kakeladi!!

I made this cake last Sunday, froze it, thawed it today, frosted and served it tonite. I got rave reviews on this cake! The only thing I did was use creme boquet oh and buttermilk instead of water. I used key lime filling and it was so refreshing. This is a good solid dense cake.

Thanks again!

Kim

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:37am
post #63 of 146

THANKS FOR SHARING

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:36am
post #64 of 146

Thanks so much for sharing.

Has anyone tried milk instead of water?

thumbs_up.gif

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:41am
post #65 of 146

I used buttermilk, was awesome!

Kim

Eileenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eileenscakes Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:54pm
post #66 of 146

Thank you so much for posting this kakeladi I have made it now twice and love it! icon_biggrin.gif the first time I used vanilla to flavor it but last night I was making cupcakes for the school bake sale and tried using the torani syrup as flavoring instead and it turned out awesome!!! I used strawberry so they truned a little pink and tasted great icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif (yes I ate a few before giving the rest to the school..lol )

Thanks again...everyone should try this recipe it is the easies to make and tastes the best!!!! thumbs_up.gif

CakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBaker Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:14pm
post #67 of 146

different amount of water, added oil, different eggs, changed the flavorings -- I think that means mine is a different recipe, right? I shared mine on the 'net because the two recipes I derived it from where on the 'net. It's not about who did what first or about the person you got this recipe from originally from either. I baked like 50 different white cake recipes that Summer before I "tweaked" this one and named it the WASC. It's great that people can take either one and tweak it themselves to fit their own needs. It's always amazing how the same recipe can turn out completely different in every kitchen. Happy baking, everyone!

warmvanillasugar1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warmvanillasugar1234 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 10:49pm
post #68 of 146

Can this be used with BC french vanilla cake mix? Any changes needed? This is a stupid question but what does WASC taste like really? Almond? Is it more of a grown up flavor cake because I was thinking about possibly making a WASC cake or cupcakes for my friend's 15th birthday if I like the taste of WASC.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 11:30pm
post #69 of 146

Yes, yes, yesicon_smile.gif I have used my recipe w/every cake flavor BC makesicon_smile.gif What does it really taste like? A great, almost pound cake. I don't find the almond to be that outstanding but then I LOVE almondicon_smile.gif If you don't like almond, then just leave it out.....others have. Flavoring in cake & icing is always a personal thing. If you don't like lemon, leave it out....replace w/what you do like - more vanilla, some butter flavor, maybe mint, almond or whatever! icon_smile.gif
Sounds like it would be perfect for your 15th b'd order.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 11:45pm
post #70 of 146

I have WASC (have alternated cake mix flavors and extracts) since I discovered it back in Oct. I've made it for my kids birthday (1 yr old, 3 yr old and 5yr old). My DH took 1 of the tiers to work and everyone loved it, we all love it so it is definitely not just a cake for grown ups. I would definitely recommend it. It's so moist!
It was absolutely wonderful that Kakeladi choose to share this wonderful recipe with everyone.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:10am
post #71 of 146

kakeladi

I'm looking forward to trying your recipe I do use one recipe (WASC) it calls for salt everyone likes it but to me I can taste the salt Thank You for posting this

Molly thumbs_up.gif

warmvanillasugar1234 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:19am
post #72 of 146

Exactly what changes do I need to make to the directions? I'm assuming the cake's really dense and heavy then?

kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:33am
post #73 of 146

Here again is the recipe; If you use zest it is just added to the dry ingredients. If you use fzn lemonade it is in place of the water.
Oh & no it's not dense and heavy but it's not a light and fluffy as a 'plain' mix would be.

Read thru the whole recipe before you start. Note the extra info at the end. Enjoy your baking!
The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi

1 box cake mix (I prefer Betty Crocker) *see notes at end
1 cup flour*
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt

1 cup sour cream*
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*
In bowl mix together dry ingredients. It's helpful if you use a wire whisk, but optional. It's important w/choco cake not so much for other flavors.
In mixer bowl place next 3 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes. Some tell me they just dump all ingredients into the bowl together. Some tell me they sift all dry ingredients together.
Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual.

*NOTES: any cake flavor can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such use lemon/almond mix for lemon cake; strawberry/almond for a strawberry cake etc, etc. For most flavors you can use a mixture of vanilla, butter, and almond which is what I do most of the time.
You can use milk or cream for the liquid.
This recipe is based on mixing in a kitchenaid mixer. I use position #1 to stir it, then #4 to mix the batter.
Most of the time I forget to add the salticon_smile.gif
On rare occasions I have used other brands of mix.
This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10" sq OR 9x13 OR one 8" & two 6" round;OR two 8"rounds OR a 12" round; and other combinations of pans.
I prefer to bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time. If cake has pulled away from sides it is overbaked. After cooling, the top might be a bit sticky.
Some people have told me they use plain yogurt instead of sour cream.
I've always used all purpose flour. Some tell me they use cake flour but then the amount is less - maybe 3/4 cup - not sure.

The flavoring I most often use is this mixture:
1 part vanilla extract
1/2 part butter flavoring
1/4 part almond flavoring

A "Part" is any measure be it teaspoon; tablespoon; cup or quart Smile Since I made many wedding cakes I usually mixed it up by the cup about once a monthicon_smile.gif

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:34am
post #74 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2

kakeladi

I'm looking forward to trying your recipe I do use one recipe (WASC) it calls for salt everyone likes it but to me I can taste the salt Thank You for posting this

Molly thumbs_up.gif

Why don't ya just take the salt out? I like both recipes.. but if it is only the salt that is bothering you just take it out. I actually use a hybrid of both. I use only 1 box, all eggs, but I do use oil (sometimes butter!) and I put a dash of salt in it plus 1/2 a package pudding.

warmvanillasugar1234 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:10am
post #75 of 146

Thank you icon_smile.gif What the difference in taste from just using 1 tablespoon flavoring to your mixture? If I use your mixture, I'm guessing I'll need to put in more butter and almond if I'm going to buy the extract right?

mbpbrighteyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbpbrighteyes Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:26am
post #76 of 146

So this might be kind of a stupid question, but what are the differences in using buttermilk/milk vs. water? I've only ever used the water, but am totally curious!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:16am
post #77 of 146

The recipe I use also calls for a small box of pudding but I am planing to cute down on the salt

Thanks

Molly thumbs_up.gif

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:31am
post #78 of 146

I just want to say thank you for posting this recipe. I had read about it on another post, but was having trouble finding the actual recipe. You definitely need to put this in the 'recipes'!!! And a big thanks to everyone else for their ideas and thoughts. I can't wait to try it. icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:30pm
post #79 of 146

.......What the difference in taste from just using 1 tablespoon flavoring to your mixture? .........
As I have said, flavoring is a very personal decision.... What I like and what you or your family like can be very different. (Example: Do you LOVE snails or rattlesnake meat; highly spicy foods, etc?? I sure don't)
I find one Tblsp flavoring in this recipe to be just right....not overpowering but it brings out the great taste combination of all the ingredients.
Adding oil and puddings increase your costs....to me they are not necessary.......but again it goes to personal taste likes and dislikes.
Using fruit juices (&/or fzn concentrates such as lemonade) will increase the flavor of such fruit based cake mixes.
In a chocolate cake use strong brewed coffee as the liquid ....it really boosts the chocolate tasteicon_smile.gif (This is from someone who **HATES!!!!!** coffee) icon_smile.gif

....... what are the differences in using buttermilk/milk vs. water........
Buttermilk could throw off the science of the ingredient combination.....I don't use it.
Milk or cream vs water - many think it makes a richer taste.

strawberrygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberrygirl Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:28pm
post #80 of 146

icon_biggrin.gif I'm so glad I found this post. It has answered many of my questions. I also use coffee as the liquid when I make a chocolate cake. It's not my favorit thing to drink (I'm a Dr.Pepper girl) and my mother absolutely hates it. But she sure LOVES my chocolate cake. I just don't tell her it is in there. It really does bring out the chocolate flavor.

I

warmvanillasugar1234 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:44am
post #81 of 146

Glad to know I'm not the only one that dislikes coffee (:
Okay, one more question before I drive you nuts kakeladi, but if I want to know if the batter should have more vanilla, etc. can I taste the batter or is that unsafe since it has raw eggs?

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:25am
post #82 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmvanillasugar1234

Okay, one more question before I drive you nuts kakeladi, but if I want to know if the batter should have more vanilla, etc. can I taste the batter or is that unsafe since it has raw eggs?

I always taste... that's how I decide. Some will say yes taste, some will say no don't, but I always do. That's how I tell if it's right.

xstitcher Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:42am
post #83 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodlesjupiter

Quote:

I always taste... that's how I decide. Some will say yes taste, some will say no don't, but I always do. That's how I tell if it's right.

and it's sooo yummy! I've often wondered the same thing but...... icon_razz.gif

mbpbrighteyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbpbrighteyes Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:17pm
post #84 of 146

I taste too!! I'm sure it is technically considered unsafe to taste because it is raw eggs... but then again, cookie dough has raw eggs too, and I taste that! Just one of those things I've always done, and probably will until I have an issue with those raw eggs!! icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:05pm
post #85 of 146

I'm sure for the average person (w/o a compromised health) a taste or two of batter isn't going to harm you. Now that does not mean you get to eat a 1/2 cup of raw batter!!!! LOL

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:56pm
post #86 of 146

OH gosh I eat so much of that darn batter! Actually.. I usually eat more of the batter than I munch on the finish product. I looovee cake batter.

Sometimes I'll put some in a cup with a bit of water and eat it that way.. that way there are no raw eggs icon_smile.gif

haha how embarassing!

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:18pm
post #87 of 146

Oooooo!!! I am such a taster too. icon_biggrin.gif Any kind of batter, dough, icing. My excuse is that I am making sure it tastes right. (In a way yes, but I LOVE to eat it. My husband will even have me make a whole batch of chocolate chip cookies without the eggs so he can attack it with a spoon!!! But, let me tell y'all a secret. I have been substituting egg beaters lately in everything...Let me tell you...Everything is so much more moist! Even the cookies stay soft. I found it out by accident, but I am so glad I did. The cakes are very moist without all the crumbling. thumbs_up.gif Happy caking!!!

warmvanillasugar1234 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:36am
post #88 of 146

Does strawberry extract exist? I just figured out my friend doesn't like almonds and I thought I could use strawberry extract instead, but is there such a thing? And if I didn't want to use any extracts at all, can I just use this recipe as an extender to the cake mix?

xstitcher Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:47am
post #89 of 146
Quote:

Does strawberry extract exist? I just figured out my friend doesn't like almonds and I thought I could use strawberry extract instead, but is there such a thing? And if I didn't want to use any extracts at all, can I just use this recipe as an extender to the cake mix?

Sure does. There are a whole variety of them out there! icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:48am
post #90 of 146
Quote:

Sure does. There are a whole variety of them out there! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%