Starting A Cake Business

Business By mimi2004 Updated 2 May 2008 , 5:53pm by mimi2004

mimi2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi2004 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 9

Hello everyone,
I am new to this site and I am amazed at all the beautiful cakes.
My question is..How do you get started?? I have been decorating for about a year and a half and have trouble getting orders and when I do, people do not want to pay the price. I don't feel my prices are too high because I have asked around and they are in line with other decorators..
I need help!!

Thanks!

8 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 9

If you look in the articles section, you will find an article written about this subject. It is the starting place for anyone who wants to open a legitimate business.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

gr8yf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8yf Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 9

With only a year of experience it would be difficult to expect the same price as a more experienced decorator. I found marketing in my neighborhood, kids school, any connection you might have.

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 9

I think it would depend on what size town you live in. I am also having some problems getting started, but I live in a tiny town and know that if I hung posters up that would jump start it-I just keep hoping that word of mouth will get it going. Maybe you could send out an "official" email to family and friends and have them forward them to their family/friends that you have started a new business? Hope some others have good ideas cause I'm interested too icon_rolleyes.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 9

You need to know if it is legal to sell home baked goods in your area. If it is not legal, and many states it is not, you want to decide if it is worth the risk of penalties if you get caught.

Once you are legal, word of mouth is the very best advertising. Bake a few cakes and give them to places that would normally order baked goods for birthdays and special occasions.

ksouza712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksouza712 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 9

I am in the same boat where I am deciding to leave m full time job to stay at home and am considering doing cakes to supplement our income. I have been told to keep your prices in line with what your competitors are doing. Obviously if your workmanship is not up to par you will not get that asking price but I am assuming after a year plus of doing this you are putting out a decent product. If you start to drop prices to entice people you may fall into the trap of being "the cheapest" in the area which to me is not a good thing.

mimi2004 Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all sooo much for the imput.. I too live in a small town and people usually use "WalMart". Even after reading other peoples qestions and answers, I have gotten a lot of good ideas.. thanks!

maggz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggz Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 9

just thought id drop some ideas... ive researched this site and many about some great ideas so you might have seen these ideas already since ive gotten them all together in my notepad. none of these are my original ideas.
1. make cake samples... bring them to your local police station, fire dept, school... whatever and have ppl taste them and judge. make sure you always leave a card, or something stating your name, address or business info.
2. do wedding expos, charities, bake fairs, county fairs, call local real estate agents and offer services to them for new home buyers as a house warming gift.
3. have local coffee shops advertise for you.
4. run an ad in the paper around graduation time, prom time, wedding season or xmas, easter.
5. set up a myspace pg displaying your cakes
just get out there and yell it loud and proud that your starting a great business and your excited.
hope this helps... im thankful for all the information i found from this site and others. icon_smile.gif

mimi2004 Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks soo much.. I will definately try some of these ideas icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%