How Much To Charge?

Decorating By Susie43727 Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 5:27pm by JoAnnB

Susie43727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie43727 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 4

How do you know how much to charge for a cake? I have 2 wedding cakes coming up and 2 birthday cakes. I was going to charge $1.70 a serving for the wedding cake, is that fair. On top of that cost do you also charge for the tiers and things you use on the cake? The 2 birthday cakes I have coming up are character cakes. Do I charge by the serving or do I just charge for the cake. I also have someone wanting cupcakes 12 filled and 12 non filled. How do you know what to charge for that. I think figuring up a price guide is nerve racking and hard. Can anybody please help me. Thank you for your time and have a good day!! usaribbon.gif

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 4

There are hundreds of pricing threads in the business forum. You need to figure your costs and know the going rate for cake in your area.

It is not legal to sell licensed character cakes (movies, tv, etc)

$1.75 a serving seems a bit low, but I don't know your market. You might charge extra for fondant or special decorations, but not for using the plates and pillars that you will get back.

You should have a contract for wedding cakes. there is a good sample at earlenescakes.com

Susie43727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie43727 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 4

If it's not legal to sell character cake how does people make, sell and post them on the site everyday? I have the character pans does that mean these pans are no good to me? I was going to make a Dora one but i don't want to get in trouble for it.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 4

Character pans/licensed images are for HOME use only. they are intended for you to use for your family, not for sale.

Many decorators still do it, you have to make that decision yourself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%