Is This Really A Valid Reason To Do That?

Lounge By DecoratingDingbat Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 4:27pm by Heath

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 5

I've recently seen threads locked when I didn't see any abuse etc. going on. Why exactly are some threads being locked? I know this has been discussed at length before, and I'm not looking for 'the great debate', I have seen and read Heath's explanation. I completely understand locking threads for the obvious reasons such as personal abuse, protecting the integrity of the site, and so on ..... but simply because of how many pages ????? Despite the number of pages I'm sure some of us may not be finished talking with each other, and frankly I resent that decision being made for me.
I have less patience for someone deciding that I'm 'done' talking to other members, than any tech. difficulties or some selected comments I may see as rude - that can happen when the 'public' is involved icon_wink.gif Public being the key word here ... IMO.
Does the list of criteria required to be met before a thread can just be 'locked down', include a limit on the number of pages? And where do we report what we may see as an error in judgement with the use of some moderator privileges?

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 5

This is a 'free to the user' site. We have to believe that the moderators have reasons to do what is necessary to maintan the site.

Long threads may have gotten waaaay off the original topic. It can make it difficult for new users to get the help they need.

We here in Cake Central have a great deal of freedom, compared to sites that require pre-approval before a post can be viewed.

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 5

I suppose so.... still doesn't sit well with me when someone take it upon themselves to decide everyone is 'done' talking - even when no abuses are present.
The reason this one in particular upset me was because members where taking the opportunity to thank others for their time and efforts in creating tutorials and such. Sometimes we take the info. and in the excitement we may over look to pass on the thankyou. This thread was beneficial in allowing those over looked thanks to be extended, and allow the members who do take the time to know they are appreciated - greatly!

Well, if anything I will now be sending my thanks to these members via PMs, just to ensure they aren't feeling like we are taking advantage of them. I'm going to try doing this whether I actually use the information or not ... hopefully I can keep up to it icon_wink.gif

Once more however ..... THANK YOU!! to all the members who take the time out of their busy days to create these valuable learning tools for us, whether it be a sketch, tutorial, video or just a written paragraph. Even though it may not always be extended directly, you are appreciated and it's your willingness to teach and share both your knowledge and time that keeps me (for one) coming back. Please don't any of you ever change who you are ... we do luvs and appreciates you thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 5

I don't even know what post you're talking about, but it may have gotten off track.

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 5

#1 - Yes sometimes threads are closed due to length. There are a lot of forums out there that have a max # of pages for threads because the number of posts in a thread does impact database performance when it comes to things like search.

Also as some people mentioned, some threads get off track, its not an issue of abuse, its just that when doing searches you would like to make sure the thread you get to is relevant.

#2 - If you do not like a moderating policy of CC or the decision of a moderator, the preferred method of addressing it is to send a PM to me. Creating a thread in the Lounge to complain about the moderating policies of CC is not going to create a constructive environment in which to address the concern.

oh yeah, and I am locking the thread. If anyone wants to discuss this privately with me my PMs are turned on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%