Cake Boss Vs Quickbooks

Business By mcook1670 Updated 2 May 2008 , 2:25am by izzybee

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 16

i just wondered who used what and why or the benefit of one over the other. I'm trying to start my own business and my brother uses quickbooks for construction and it looks complicated. I downloaded a trail of cake boss and it's not working right... maybe it's because it's a trail version, but everytime I do something I get an error message icon_sad.gif

15 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 16

If you are having issues with Cake Boss, you should contact Kelley.

Cake Boss is a system specific for cake and cake decorating.

Quickbooks is a general accounting package.

If you are just starting, and don't have payroll. you can do sufficient record keeping by using a simple spreadsheet.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 16

Yes, please email me at [email protected] if you are having a problem.

rachpizano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachpizano Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 16

I have both. Honestly it really depends on what you are using the program for. If you have a small business or just do cakes on the side then cakes boss is great. However in my experience we quickly outgrew it. One thing that drove me crazy about cake boss was that there is no way to take payments. We have a lot of clients who make several payments on their account. The only way, unless this has been updated, is to add deposit to the "note" section. Then you have to manually subtract it from the price. This can lead to mistakes and miscommunication with clients because the deposit are not directly deducted from the calculation.

Its a good program for people who do this as a side job or as a hobby. It certainly help at tax time. IF you have too much going on in your business think about an upgrade to Quickbooks.

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:16am
post #5 of 16

Thanks... I just have the trail of cake boss, but I have quickbooks 2008 pro on my compute rbecause my brother uses it. I don't know if i want to spend 100 on software.. I'm cheap

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 16

I'll also suggest MS Accounting Express 2008. MS offers it COMPLETELY free and I love it! I'm still a small business, but it definitely helps and as I grow I know it's something I can stick with.

You can create customer and vendor lists, receive payments, make inventory sales lists, and much more.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 16

i downloaded the ms accounting and was wondering if there is a way to print a receipt for a customer. I have only used this twice just playing with it and couldn't find it. thanks.

ccr03 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 16

lovetofrost,
once you recieve payment, so to "Recieved Payments" and go to that customers order. There should be print button on the above toolbar and you should be able to print the receipt.

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:36am
post #9 of 16

Also, take a look at quick books online. It is just a monthly fee and I love it. Takes care of everything. Also no software to install it is all kept on intuit's servers and you can access from anywhere. I would highly recommend it.

lovetofrost Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:32am
post #10 of 16

thanks ccr03. was simple enough, just a little overwhelmed with the new software. do you have problems with it freezing up? maybe it's just my computer. Do you think i still need cake boss in addition to this software. What do you all do to keep track of your customers and cakes you made for them. also what do you do to keep track with things like cost of ingredients for each cake. thanks

lovetofrost Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:33am
post #11 of 16

oh, and where can i get a trial of cake boss?

kelleym Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:55am
post #12 of 16

We no longer have a trial version, but we offer an unconditional 30-day money back guarantee. If it doesn't meet the needs of your business, let us know within 30 days and we will refund your money with no questions and no hassles. thumbs_up.gif

ccr03 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:44am
post #13 of 16

lovetofrost, no probl! It took me a while to get used to it as well.

1. Freezing up: It'll freeze up sometimes, but only when I've got lots of windows/programs open. I've found it best to just have that program and the internet up.

2. Customers: You can create a customer list w/all their info. You can't go back in time, but it automatically keeps a financial history for your customers. The financial history includes all of the invoices and that information.

3. Costs: I haven't figured out how to do the exact costs either. You can create a vendor list. I use it in a basic way, like to input my reciepts and the such.

lovetofrost Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:40pm
post #14 of 16

I read somewhere I can't find the forum that an updated version of cake boss will be coming out with some new features. Do you know when and how much?

kelleym Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:48pm
post #15 of 16

We are currently hard at work on CakeBoss 2009, which will contain many new requested featured, including the ability to record multiple payments. It is still too soon to speculate on a release date or price, but everyone here on CakeCentral can be assured that we will make more details available as soon as we are able thumbs_up.gif

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:25am
post #16 of 16

Hi Kelley,

I just wrote Jon and requested a ingredient cost section. That is the only thing that is missing for me. With the fluctuating costs of ingredients, I would like to have one place to input costs of say and oz. of flour, and then be able to put in how many oz. in a cup so when I do my recipes, it can grab that info. I know the program kind of does that now, but there is no central place to input ingredients and their costs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%