What To Say To This Bride?

Business By Jenn123 Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 10:50pm by CarolAnn

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 5:24am
post #61 of 66

*sigh* just forget her. First of all, she complained too late. and it seemed to me at first she wasn't at all complaining. i think it's just a case of her mother NAGGING at her and criticizing her choice and she got fed up and shifted her mother's "wrath" on you.

don't reply. don't offer anything. stand by your cake. icon_biggrin.gif *hugs*

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 11:36am
post #62 of 66

Wow big clue.. She Capitalized Every Word (that is pretty hard and I type fast LOL)

No refund. Nope sorry.. Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya my friend icon_biggrin.gif !

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:07pm
post #63 of 66

The thing about freezing the cake was the top tier that she wants me to come taste....not. Thanks for the HUGS I needed that! icon_smile.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 9:35pm
post #64 of 66

Unless her prior emails were written like that last one, that was definitely not her composing (or so I'd hope!). What kind of freaky person Capitalizes Every Word?

If you've already said what you've said, I'd just leave it at that and close the correspondence.

And I agree with Indydebi--some people are used to box mix and will never think a scratch cake is "light and fluffy" enough for them. Believe it or not--I'm dealing with one right now who is going so far as to bring me back a cake from Arizona to taste, so I can "see what she wants" her cake to taste like. This is after I've already had her try Toba, Colette, and Sylvia's cake recipes, and she's not satisfied that they're "light and fluffy" enough. icon_evil.gif My DH said "Make her a box mix, then! That's what she wants." What I want to say is: "Poo poo to you. Shop somewhere else!" If I can make her happy, I'll eat my hat.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 10:26pm
post #65 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook

Believe it or not--I'm dealing with one right now who is going so far as to bring me back a cake from Arizona to taste, so I can "see what she wants" her cake to taste like. This is after I've already had her try Toba, Colette, and Sylvia's cake recipes, and she's not satisfied that they're "light and fluffy" enough. icon_evil.gif My DH said "Make her a box mix, then! That's what she wants." What I want to say is: "Poo poo to you. Shop somewhere else!" If I can make her happy, I'll eat my hat.

Hey, if I were you I'd make the box mix and tell her you had to special order certain ingredients to get her cake just so and in doing so you need to charge her more - like 15-20% more! icon_lol.gificon_evil.gificon_lol.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 10:50pm
post #66 of 66

I don't think your e mail response sounds harsh at all. It sounds courteous, professional and honest.

Quote:
Quote:

I would ask the bride what it is you can do to make her happy. then you will know what you are dealing with then.

I disagree with this. Asking that will give the bride, and maybe her mother, the impression that the decision on how to resolve this is up to her/them and not you. I think if you offer anything it shouldn't be no more than a small discount off another cake up to a certain size. (That way she can't pass it on to her friend or sister to get a discounted wedding cake out of you.) If 3 or more other brides said their cakes were moist and delicious then there's your confirmation that the cake in question was the same.

Leave any serving of cake exposed for any length of time and it will dry to some degree. When I cut a cake that has already been cut into I shave off a very slim slice to expose fresh cake and continue from there. That is only when said cake has been sitting a while between cuttings. My feeling is the mother is bugged with the competition (meaning you) and wants to make a stink. I don't think you owe them anything after almost two weeks. After raves from the other same day brides you KNOW your cake was as moist and delicious as always. Make the small discount offer directly to the bride in e mail and have no more contact with her mother. Give the discount and call that good. Have no other contact with her until she contacts you for her next cake.

I would also suggest you send her a printed discount coupon that is numbered and dated, to be used for the one time discount. When I worked at a massage therapy clinic they had gift certificates in books from an office supply. All the certificates were numbered as were the stubs they were attached to. When I sold one the stub was dated, had the name of the purchaser and the amount paid. Using the same certificates I'd do the same with the stub, except fill in the amount of discount and conditions (limit on size of discounted cake in your case) and maybe even an expiration date. I wouldn't give the discount unless she had the certificate at the time of the order AND I wouldn't deliver it a stinkin hour away. If you don't have a shop I'd have her meet you someplace close and convenient to you .

I don't think any of this is harsh at all. It does rile me some when people try to pull stunts to get their money back, especially the way this smells.

The wedding is long over mom, so let the bride relax and enjoy her new married life. That translated to "Butt out lady!"

Ok, I'm done now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%