Idea's For A School Bake Sale????

Decorating By MarisaA Updated 7 May 2008 , 12:11pm by Penny7271

MarisaA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarisaA Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:07am
post #1 of 17

Hi all,

I would like to make something for my kids elementary school bake sale. It has to be peanut free.

I would like to make some cupcakes, cookies, bars etc.

Have any good recipes or pictures so I can get a few good idea's as to where to start?

Thanks a bunch,
Mar

16 replies
Tog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tog Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:18am
post #2 of 17

joyofbaking.com

oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

bomb. icon_smile.gif

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:41am
post #3 of 17

How bout 7 layer bars? They aren't hard to make and I know the kids at my daughter's school LOVE them!

You make them in one pan so not alot of mess or fuss. Just make them in the order of the recipe. I use an 8x13 in. pan. Bake 350 for 30-35 mins.

1 stick butter melted
1 to 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 c. coconut
1 pkg choc. chips ( milk choc. works great)
1 pkg. butterscotch chips
1 pkg. whit choc. chips
1 can eagle brand condensed milk

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:41am
post #4 of 17

why not cupcakes to look like animals they will love them.its a good seller..or cookies on a stick.

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:51am
post #5 of 17

Great ideas!

I'll be baking for a bake sale in 2 weeks. I am making yellow cupcakes with chocolate buttercream and flowers (buttercream and/or fondant) and chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream with chocolate butterflies.

It's a "May Fair" so I am going with the whole spring thing...

Let us know what you decide to do!

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 5:02am
post #6 of 17

I would stick to simple designs, I have made so much stuff for bake sale & end up going over board! simple cupcakes with piped oversized hearts
LL

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:11am
post #7 of 17

rice krispie treats, in a few of the flavors (regular, berry, and chocolate) icon_smile.gif

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:05pm
post #8 of 17

i just tried out ricekrispies and cutout simple shapes for my kids (very popular-couldn't stop eating them) i decorated them with melted chocolate but if the sale is outdoors you could use RI instead- i'm more partial to cookie sticks (i use a nutfree recipie) lots of simple shapes can be decorated in different ways my last idea does not require baking and i used it at a baseball fundraiser which was hugely popular with the kids-candy kabobs topped with large marshmallows(dipped in chocolate and sprinkles-i can never do anything without some special touch) you just pick whatever gummy type candy you want and skewer them-the kids even helped out hey you could even let the kids pick some candies and do it themselves (unless they want it all packaged and ready to sell) GL icon_smile.gif

Ah-na Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ah-na Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 17

I always do cupcakes with the school colors, real funky designs for the kids, of course. Also doing the schools initials or mascot. Or you can make faces of all the teachers and principles! I think the kids would love to take a bite out of their least fav. teacher!

Penny7271 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:12pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah-na

I always do cupcakes with the school colors, real funky designs for the kids, of course. Also doing the schools initials or mascot. Or you can make faces of all the teachers and principles! I think the kids would love to take a bite out of their least fav. teacher!

What a cue idea!

micnmax2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micnmax2003 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:26pm
post #11 of 17

lemon bars...simple ingredients, easy to make & fantastic tasting!! Just made my second batch this week icon_smile.gif
PM me if you want recipe,
Marisa

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:12pm
post #12 of 17

My take on school bake sales is the simpler the better. They generally only sell items for .50 or $1., no matter how elaborate you make it. Your fancy cupcake might sell out first, but they'll just sell the remainder of walmart cupcakes tomorrow for the same price. icon_eek.gif

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:06pm
post #13 of 17

also another thing I noticed from bake sales, make your cupcakes LOOK like grocery store cupcakes. They will sell faster. I've had so many bake sales with store cupcakes next to home-made ones and the home-made ones are last to go. Kids don't trust things they aren't familiar with, sort of like any cheese that isn't yellow, square, and in a plastic wrapper isn't cheese. Overdoing the swirled on icing and adding a plastic toy topper helps (if that's within budget).

MaryAtk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAtk Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:20pm
post #14 of 17

I made suckers from candy melts for our last bake sale. I used the Pin Wheel mold. They were a big hit with the adults and kids alike.

I put them in treat bags and tied them with ribbons. I had some of that floral foam around the house and I put the foam in a small box, then wrapped the entire box in wrapping paper. Then I stuck the lollipops in the foam, through the paper, so they stood up for display.

Anything on a stick usually is a big seller!

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:33pm
post #15 of 17

Kids love love love those cupcakes you bake in the ice cream cones (flat bottomed cake ones). You can decorate the top like a sundae with a candied cherry and some color sprinkles and maybe a drizzle of melted chocolate. Cake doctor has it in her book and I'm sure you could even find it online. Let me know if you can't find it and want it.

The little monster looking ones are cute too.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:38pm
post #16 of 17

I saw a cute idea that someone posted on one of the cupcake threads. They made a cupcake and frosted it, then put two wafer cookies together where it was a long rectangle, cut out one corner and piped black lines around here where it looked like a school bus!!! They were really cute!!! They looked pretty simple... in theory of course!!!.

Penny7271 Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:11pm
post #17 of 17

These were the ones that I made for this past weekend's bake sale. I was pleased that they priced them at $2 each. Not too bad for a bake sale (especially when all of the others were $1)

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1218064

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1218065

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%