Newbie Asked To Make Wedding Cake

Decorating By jack109 Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 4:15pm by diane

jack109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jack109 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 3

I am new to cake decorating, only about 6 months. Yesterday I made my niece a Birthday cake and took it to her party. My sister's-sister in law saw the cake and asked me if I would do her daughter's wedding cake in the fall. I told her that I wasn't that good, but she said she liked my cake and the wedding was not a big deal and she thought I could do it. I told her I would think about it and for her to get some pictures together for me to see and to see if I could do what her daughter wanted. But I don't know where to go from there. How much do I charge? What should I do to protect myself, say after I do the cake, and she says it looks like cr**? Does she pay all up front or a deposit first and payment upon delivery? Should I do a contract? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 replies
mommyinaprilx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyinaprilx2 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 3

Diff write up a contract and have her and you both sign it after you both have sat down and disscussed what you will be doing with the cake. I would charge no less that $2.00 per serving that is also including the servings that are in the top tier that the bride and groom will keep. Also charge for delivery. Have her pay a deposit if you want. Make sure that the full amount is paid before the wedding. Even before you start the cake. Say 10 days to 2 weeks or just 1 week whatever you feel comfortable with. HTH! GL you can do it. icon_smile.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 3

i agree...have her sign a contract...and i would get lots of practice before the big day. you can do it...there's plenty of help here on cc!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%