Buying Fondant

Decorating By kathyha Updated 19 Apr 2008 , 9:46pm by foxymomma521

kathyha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyha Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 8

Do all of you make your own fondant or buy commercially?

7 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 8

I always buy the fondant. But I'm going to try and make Michele Fosters Fondant. Once I made MMF and it didn't come out as i thought it would be. So I'm going to try and make it again.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 8

I always bought my fondant but I haven't since I learned how to make Mmfondant. Now I use it all the time I haven't bought fondant in 2 years... ahhh no $$$$shipping! That's expensive! and everyone likes the mm fondant better... however if buying I used the Fondex... I loved the taste and look of that! Its a matter of choice/ taste.. hth

mjpbmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjpbmf Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 8

I have done both. . . I have tried ChocoPan and SatinIce fondant. I prefer to use SatinIce (for easibility and taste). I haven't bought any fondant since I started making MMF. . . its easy to make, tastes fine and easy to use. The bonus is that it only costs about $5.00 to make a batch versus $20+ for buying premade fondant.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 8

when i first started out a couple years ago i made mmf. used that for a few months then i found satin ice. i started buying it in 20lb containers for 50 dollars plus shipping www.intotheoven.com so it came out to be about $3 per pound. i used that for at least a year. then i decided to take a break from decorating and since my cakes were few and far between, i decided to make it rather than buy it. i was using elisa strauss' recipe from confetti cakes- well that only lasted a few months. i couldnt justify the expense of buying satin ice at first (during my break) then i finally BROKE DOWN and began buying it again. i couldnt stand how soft and unmanageable the homemade fondant was!!! now that i buy it again, i LOVE it. it is a dream to work with (the satin ice) and i swear i will not go back. not even for small projects. seriously, i will drive 40 miles to get it from the supply store if i dont have time for online ordering rather than make that stuff again.

GO SATIN ICE - WHOO HOO!

melysa Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 8

the other plus to satin ice is it rolls much thinner than mmf , wilton or other homemade fondants so it literally lasts almost twice as long.

check this out:
http://www.satinfinefoods.com/ordering.shtml
http://www.wilton.com/wedding/makecake/fondant/fondantamounts.cfm

melysa Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 8

a 2lb batch of mmf : $3 or 1.50 per lb

satin ice bulk (20lb ) : $3 per lb, rolled twice as thin, use only HALF as much that other recipes call for for covering a cake....

so its about the same cost. save your time.

it is a bit more however to buy satin ice if you buy in the small containers. if you dont use it often but choose to buy a big container, it stays fresh for 6-12 months depending on your weather and keeping it sealed well.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:46pm
post #8 of 8

I love satinice too! I tried ChocoPan, and didn't care for the taste, or how hard it was to work with... fon d ants ou r ce. com has recently matched intotheoven on pricing, and coupon code DOLLAR will save you a buck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%