Cake Shaped Like An Ear?

Decorating By deb12g Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 1:52pm by 7yyrt

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:13pm
post #1 of 8

I have a customer whose daughter is graduating with a major in audiology. She wants a cake shaped like an ear - carved, not an edible image. Anyone have suggestions as to how I go about doing this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

7 replies
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 8

They did an ear cake recently on Ace of Cakes - went around taking pictures of everyone's ear, then copied the one they like best.

WAY over my skill level LOL

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir

They did an ear cake recently on Ace of Cakes - went around taking pictures of everyone's ear, then copied the one they like best.

WAY over my skill level LOL

I thought of the same show when I saw the subject. Gathering pictures of ears is the best thing I can think of. If I tried this, I'm afraid to find out what my ear would look like! icon_lol.gif

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 8

Yes, if you could catch that episode of Ace of Cakes it would be a great help because they showed a lot of detail on how she carved it. She just took a two layer rectangular cake (I believe) and a picture to look at and carved away.

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 8

if you have them, you could start with the oval pans and then go from there...i would check out the kids toy "my potato head" and get a good look at a 3D ear when not attatched to a head. Go to the store, open the box, make a few sketches and take digital pictures. I think it would be a great place to start. I have done this with several things and the store clerks who "catch me" think its fun and a hoot. some even help me find better angles or ideas.
good luck, plaese post a picture when you are done.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 8

I second what all the pp's wrote. Just Google 'human ear' and check out the images. If you can get to see Ace of Cakes and how they carved that one that would definitely be a bounus.

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks to all of you! I googled human ear, got a good picture. I will also check out the ear from MR. Potato head. It's going to be quite a challenge, but I'm going to go for it!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 8

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1208680.html
Here's an ear cake from lolo2024. It might help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%