How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Making Cupcakes?????

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 11 Dec 2020 , 12:18pm by -K8memphis

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:05pm
post #10861 of 11579

I was contemplating making them out of fondant or candy melts, just not sure my skills are that good! And if I do candy plaques they'd have to be taken off to cut into it.

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:19pm
post #10862 of 11579

You could do them using candy clay. You don't have to take them out to cut the cake. You can cut through them. Or frozen buttercream transfer. Since the pictures don't have too much of details, it is fairly simple to do. You can do it even couple of days ahead of time and put them on the cake when you are ready.

chassidyg Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:59pm
post #10863 of 11579

Thanks Champa, I sent her a couple of ideas from here, and she picked a different one know. My next question is, Could I do these in fondant? The original is bct, but I'm not good at that.

Valli_War Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:02pm
post #10864 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassidyg

Thanks Champa, I sent her a couple of ideas from here, and she picked a different one know. My next question is, Could I do these in fondant? The original is bct, but I'm not good at that.

Yes. You could do it in fondant. You can finish the product on a cutting board or some thick flexible plastic and once the paint is dry, flip them so that you are looking at the back of it. Cover it with saran wrap so that it doesn't get dry or keep in a covered box. When you are ready to put it on cake, just flip it on the cake and peel of the paper or plastic or whatever. It is actually easier than FBCT.

hallfamily727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallfamily727 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:53am
post #10865 of 11579

Valli - you can also order edible images from grocery stores (here we have HyVee) or from Walmart's bakery. Depending on the bakery in your area, the quality may or may not be perfect.

chassidyg Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:00am
post #10866 of 11579

I thought I posted the cake, darn it!

Hold on, off to go find it!

Okay, it's this cake

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=85233

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:17am
post #10867 of 11579

Gee, it's been a while since I posted here.

I just wanted to let everyone know about my minor discovery. If anyone out there has used the Chocolate Chili Mini Cupcake recipe from the Cupcake Bakeshop blog, here's the change I made to the recipe:

Instead of using ground ancho, I switched to ground pasilla. Both peppers have the same rating on the Scoville scale (heat), but the pasilla has a more robust flavor, and is easier to detect amongst the chocolate.

It makes for a more flavorful cupcake.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:14am
post #10868 of 11579

Guys, I wanted to ask is it possible to swirl a pie topping into cupcake batter? I was thinking scoop the batter in first then maybe a teaspoon or so of pie topping then swirl it in kinda like marble-y.

or would it be okay to scoop batter into the paper liner, spoon a teaspoon of pie filling, another scoop of batter, then pie filling, then scoop of batter?

i'm hoping to make a strawberry shortcake cupcake. help please icon_smile.gif thanks!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:18am
post #10869 of 11579

Stuff like that has a tendency to sink to the bottom.

I would try just 1 spoon of filling, on top of the batter, and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't sink to the bottom of the cupcake.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:29am
post #10870 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

Guys, I wanted to ask is it possible to swirl a pie topping into cupcake batter? I was thinking scoop the batter in first then maybe a teaspoon or so of pie topping then swirl it in kinda like marble-y.

or would it be okay to scoop batter into the paper liner, spoon a teaspoon of pie filling, another scoop of batter, then pie filling, then scoop of batter?

i'm hoping to make a strawberry shortcake cupcake. help please icon_smile.gif thanks!

I just mix it into the batter then scoop into the liners I hope this helps!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:33am
post #10871 of 11579

how much should i mix into the batter?

chassidyg Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:12pm
post #10872 of 11579

Okay, Remember top of page I said my inlaws were going to kill me with cakes??? I get an 8am wake up call from my sis in laws new sis in law, the one I made the shower & grooms cake for, her sisters good friend is without a baker for some reason, & getting married week from tommorrow.....& now they want me to do a wedding cake! I've never done one before, so I told her I was scared, and I'd rather do a cupcake tower with a small cake on top for them to cut......She thinks they'll be ok with that, I'm just waiting to hear back, and sending them ideas in the meantime. & I have a topsy turvy & a little cake for my niece & nephew this Sunday!!! I go crazy now ;D

hallfamily727 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:37am
post #10873 of 11579

Guys....need your thoughts. Going to make smores cupcakes tomorrow. Have some marshmallow fluff that I was going to stir into buttercream for the frosting. But if I do that, can I "toast" it with my torch? Or do I need to use straight fluff?

chassidyg Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:26am
post #10874 of 11579

Um....let me check my martha stewart book........

She uses a marshmallow frosting & uses her torch. It's made out of 1 envelope unflavored gelatin, 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup water & 1 cup sugar

hallfamily727 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm
post #10875 of 11579

I think that's her recipe for homemade marshmallows. Honestly, I don't have time for that today. My week has been insane!!

Valli_War Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:10pm
post #10876 of 11579

Ladies,
The cuppy document is updated through pages 723. Thanks to zoomzone for all the work.

chassidyg Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:47pm
post #10877 of 11579

Carrie, you got started on s'mores, so guess what I started wanting, s'mores, so now i'm baking graham cracker cupcakes alon with my 2 cakes I need to get done.... icon_smile.gif

chassidyg Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:55pm
post #10878 of 11579

Carrie, I feel so bad for you, my "family" has done the same to me now, my sis in law has a big wedding shower July 5th, and she has told me what cake to do, and now she sent an email yesterday asking where to get onsie cookie cutters so she could make these cookies with this stuff called royal icing..I sent an e-mail back telling her I wouldnt be answering any more questions since they are obviously not behind me making a go of this business, and she could figure out where to buy them online. I so dont even feel like making these next cakes for her anymore, she has 4 cakes between now & July 5th.

chassidyg Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:19pm
post #10879 of 11579

Someone on ebay is selling plastic 6count containers for 14.75 a case for 250! I just bought 2 cases, she has 8 left!!

this is the auction number 280306980785

hallfamily727 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:50pm
post #10880 of 11579

OMG...as soon as I have more than 2 seconds, I will post the recipe for the margarita cupcakes I made today. FABULOUS!

hallfamily727 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:52pm
post #10881 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassidyg

Someone on ebay is selling plastic 6count containers for 14.75 a case for 250! I just bought 2 cases, she has 8 left!!

this is the auction number 280306980785

I might have to check these out. Have tried and tried to find them at Sam's Club to no avail.

chassidyg Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:31am
post #10882 of 11579

I cannot wait for mine to get here!! I am sooooo excited!!! icon_smile.gif

AND I got my 2010 yearbook tonight!! They didnt have it yesterday, but when I checked tonight it's finally here!! YAY!!!

chassidyg Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:48pm
post #10883 of 11579

How did all the cupcakes turn out Carrie?? The Margarita ones sound amazing!!!

I posted pics of my nieces & nephews bday cakes in my photos.

hallfamily727 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:26pm
post #10884 of 11579

Stupid cake board! I posted stuff a bit ago and it's not here! Grrr! The cupcakes were a hit! Especially the margarita and smores ones. I'll post recipes here soon!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:27am
post #10885 of 11579

So, for some reason this thread was deleted from my watched topics. took me 10 mins to find it! anywho, Chass, you can totally handle a wedding cake. I have faith in you!
I FINALLY round that rhubarb cupcake recipe I wrote down a while ago, grandmaG & snow. I'll get around to typing it soon
I'm making my first topsy turvy this week. Any tips?

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:17pm
post #10886 of 11579

Can't wait to see the recipe Jana! I had a "watched topic" of Melvira making a topsy turvy cake and others walking her through it. It's not on my watched list any more. I lost a lot of my "watched topics". It's something like "Can I really make this?" or something like that.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:28pm
post #10887 of 11579
snowflake12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowflake12 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:00pm
post #10888 of 11579

I tried a rhubarb cupcake recipe the other day. It didn't turn out so hot. Part of the problem I'm sure is the fact that I can't use eggs. My kids are allergic to eggs, so I don't even allow them in my house. So I used Ener-G egg replacer. It's pretty hit or miss when I use it. So I think tonight I'm going to try making the Vanilla cupcakes from Vegan cupcakes take over the world, and just adding rhubarb to those.

This is the recipe I tried, maybe it works better with using eggs rather than the egg replacer.

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:46am
post #10889 of 11579

Wahoo! You are all still here!
I survived my first year teaching high school - now I am back here thinking about cupcakes.

I am going to check the big recipe file for some smores cupcakes - anyone know of a good one that is in that (or if you have another one - feel free to send it along!)

I am SO glad to be back!

hallfamily727 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:06am
post #10890 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny727

Wahoo! You are all still here!
I survived my first year teaching high school - now I am back here thinking about cupcakes.

I am going to check the big recipe file for some smores cupcakes - anyone know of a good one that is in that (or if you have another one - feel free to send it along!)

I am SO glad to be back!

Ok, here's my smores cupcake recipe that I used this past weekend. They were a HUGE hit and were the first ones gone...but they are messy!

Smores Cupcakes

1 pkg graham crackers, crushed
2 Tbs. melted butter

Mix together. Spoon heaping Tbs into each cupcake liner and smoosh into bottom (kind of like a pie crust).

Cake:
Favorite chocolate cake recipe (I used a Devil's Food recipe)

Fill cupcake liners about 1/2 - 3/4 full and bake. Cool.

Ganache:
I used 1 bag of Hershey's choc chips (figured I'd stay with the traditional choc bar brand for Smores) to half a pint of cream. Warmed cream on the stove, poured over chips, and stirred til cream. Let set about 20 minutes or more til thicker...but not truffle thick!

For smores cupcakes:
Fill cupcake with ganache using either a filler tip or by cutting out the center...whichever you prefer. Top with a blob of marshmallow Fluff. Using the kitchen torch thingy (I know...real technical term)..."toast" the fluff. Top with one tiny square of a Hershey bar. Enjoy!

Warning:
IF these sit out in a warm room, the fluff will melt down a tiny bit...but that worked out ok for my picnic thing b/c it made them all gooey and yummy...like a real smores!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%