How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Making Cupcakes?????

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 11 Dec 2020 , 12:18pm by -K8memphis

hallfamily727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallfamily727 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:19am
post #10771 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallfamily727

Hey everyone. Sorry I've been AWOL for so long again. This pregnancy is kicking my butt and my family sucks...long stories on both accounts, trust me. After spending last weekend in the ER with a gallbladder attack (fun times), I'm gearing up for some baking. Wanted some opinions, please!

Next weekend, my grandparents are hosting a family reuinon type picnic for their 60th wedding anniversary. My grandmother has asked me to bake 3-4 dozen cupcakes as there are some bars and such included in their catering package, but (her words) she wants other options in case they taste like crap. LOL! This is a very family oriented ordeal with several smaller children, so I want to shy away from alcoholic varieties as I don't want to have to guard the cupcake table all day!!

Initially, I'm also thinking some summery flavors. Debated a strawberry mango. I have frozen mango puree that I had left over from a cake that I thought I could fold into a brusting. Hmmm....or maybe something like a lemonade cupcake? Thaoughst or ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!!

brusting? Ok...no more talking to me about a missing hairbrush when I'm typing. FROSTING...wow...and thaoghst?!? THOUGHTS!!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:22am
post #10772 of 11579

OOooooohhh, you should make the banana cream pie ones! YUM! Otherwise, something with berries. Strawberry Lemonade cupcake?

hallfamily727 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:24am
post #10773 of 11579

I debated the banana cream ones, but unsure if I have banana haters or not. LOL!

hallfamily727 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #10774 of 11579

A big hit with the kids in the family is that Jello poke cake. Do you think I could convert those into cupcakes?

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:31am
post #10775 of 11579

What is jello poke cake? I would do something summery but with chocolate, too. Like a chocolate cupcake with summer berries, a whippy vanilla type frosting, and topped with berries. Yum! Lemon raspberry is always good. I just made raspberry cake today and cupcakes with the leftover batter, turned out awesome! I also did mango. I used chopped up mango and it's juice, as well as mango lorann, and the cake was good but just didn't taste like mango to me. Disappointed, maybe I'll try again.

GrandmaG - I was looking through Martha's new cupcake book at Barnes and Noble and she had a rhubarb cupcake recipe. I wrote it down on my starbucks napkin for you! I'll type it up in a pm (so I dont have to worry about copywrite laws) when I get the chance. The picture looked awesome and the recipe doesn't sound too difficult.

chassidyg Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:31pm
post #10776 of 11579

Carrie, Are you doing all 3-4 dozen the same or 2 dozen of 2 flavors?

I havent seen the poke cake recipe, but I bet you could poke 1 hole into center of cupcake, What kind of frosting is it? I bet it'd be good with bettercreme on it!

Stellarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stellarcakes Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:00pm
post #10777 of 11579

Hey...I am a bit lost I haven't been on in awhile...but wanted to ask if anyone has used the lorann cheesecake flavoring in a buttercream frosting?

hallfamily727 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:34am
post #10778 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassidyg

Carrie, Are you doing all 3-4 dozen the same or 2 dozen of 2 flavors?

I havent seen the poke cake recipe, but I bet you could poke 1 hole into center of cupcake, What kind of frosting is it? I bet it'd be good with bettercreme on it!

Poke cake is the white cake that you poke holes in and pour dissolved Jello over then refrigerate. It's usually frosted with Cool Whip.

I've been told I can do whatever I want flavor wise. Just trying to show off, but not overwork myself, either. Truth be told, I don't even want to do these stupid cupcakes. There's some nasty stuff going on in my family and I'm on the dumping end again. Gets SOOOOO old.

chassidyg Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:39am
post #10779 of 11579

Well, I see it as 2 choices...do you like Grandma? Do the 2 of you get along well? If yes, I'd do it for her...if not then screw them all, being prego you dont need that stress

hallfamily727 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:08am
post #10780 of 11579

My grandma and I....mixed feelings. A couple years ago we went thru an entire year of not speaking. We're ok now, but I swear she lives for family drama. And this picnic has been in the works for months.

Let me tell you about my last 2 weeks. First of all, I have posted on here before about my sister. She's got to have low carb, low fat, low sugar, gluten-free foods. Yeah....HELLO!? Anyway, I have worked and worked to create recipes that are SAFE for her. Took a lot of time, but I have come up with a few. So...two weeks ago, my sister asked me to create a dessert for her to take to one of her business meetings. I came up with a fabulous gluten-free chocolate cupcake with espresso ganache that was AMAZING! The people at her meeting had no idea it was gluten-free. My mother is also doing a gluten free diet, so I took a few spare cupcakes to her to try. She called me later that evening to reiterate their fabulousness. I mentioned that I was considering making some for the aforementioned picnic as not only are my mother and sister gluten intolerant, but so is a cousin of mine. My mother THEN told me that she ordered a gluten-free cake from SOMEONE ELSE for the picnic! AND THEN ASKED ME FOR MY RECIPE!! UM.....H**L NO!

The very next week, I had to do 8 dozen cookies and 2 dozen cupcakes for my sister's business open house. I rolled, cut, baked, and decorated (including an edible logo) all of them on the SAME DAY so as to guarantee freshness. Because my sister's organization is non-profit, I do everything for her functions at cost. We had agreed upon $100 for my costs, which was still low. She NEVER paid me....and I had a check bounce because of that to deal with.

So now we get to this picnic...I find out yesterday that my grandmother KNEW about my mom ordering a cake from someone else months ago, as did my sister. And so...maybe I'm being petty, but I don't want to show up with my product and set it up on the table next to someone who has been doing cakes for 25+ years (I've only been doing this about 1 year) when my family has such an obvious disrespect for my intentions to make a go of this business.

Ok, sorry for the novel, but it felt REALLY good to get that all out! lol

chassidyg Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:28am
post #10781 of 11579

Well....How about you come be my sister or cousin?? I dont have a sister, but my cousin is a stuck up b***h that I cant stand! And her & my aunt are the only "family" my mom & I have left (besides my baby bros)....I havent talked to cousin or aunt since my other aunt died 5 yrs ago!

sayhellojana Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:43am
post #10782 of 11579

stellar - I have, and I really liked it. It doesn't taste like cheesecake, but it is good. It's just nice to do something different than vanilla

sayhellojana Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:04am
post #10783 of 11579

Hall - big families = big drama. Happens in every family I'm sure. I know that the family reunions on my mother's side almost assuredly result in hotel security being called and a group of stoned teenagers.

snowflake12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowflake12 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:45pm
post #10784 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellarcakes

Hey...I am a bit lost I haven't been on in awhile...but wanted to ask if anyone has used the lorann cheesecake flavoring in a buttercream frosting?

I have, it's doesn't really taste like cheesecake though. I'm not sure what kinda of cupcake you're putting it on, but maybe sprinkle crushed graham crackers on top the frosting to help with the effect.

snowflake12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowflake12 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:46pm
post #10785 of 11579

Jana, could I please get a PM of the rhubarb cupcake as well. I cut back a ton of it two weeks ago to make a rhubarb crisp, and the stuff is already back with a vengence.

Thank you.

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:20pm
post #10786 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

What is jello poke cake?

Here is the Jello Poke Cake recipe from kraft foods. I've made this in sheet cakes and it's great. It's helpful to have the recipe so the cake to jello ratio is good. I bet it would be yummy in cupcakes. The only consideration is that it does need to be refrigerated.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/jell-o-poke-cake-69006.aspx

Stellarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stellarcakes Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:45pm
post #10787 of 11579

Jana- I was actually going to use it instead of cream cheese icing cause I don't think the cream cheese icing will hold up....Do you think that it will still tasted great?

sayhellojana Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:55pm
post #10788 of 11579

Yes, I think that the cheesecake lorann would be a good substitute. It won't replace creamcheese icing, mind you, but I think it would go well with any flavor cream cheese icing would, like spice cake or RV

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:09pm
post #10789 of 11579

hall, I feel for ya. All the drama! Can't stand to be around it but it seems to happen in all families!

I made carrot cupcakes with the extended version! They were fantastic!

1 yellow DH cake mix
1 C flour
1 C sugar
1/3 tsp salt
1 box pudding ( I used coconut but had intended on using pumpkin spice. Dumped the wrong box in by mistake and it was too late to change. It actually turned out pretty tasty with it. )
1/3 C oil
4 large eggs
1 C sour cream
1 1/3 C liquid. I used half orange juice and half buttermilk.
1 tsp vanilla
3 C grated carrots
1/2 C raisins
1/2 C black walnuts

I filled with cheesecake filling (Bettercreme, cream cheese and cheesecake pudding) and frosted with cream cheese buttercream.

You can not tell these are a mix!

Chass, thanks for linking me to Acupcakery! Their polka dot cupcake liners are fantastic! Kept the dots after baking and the liners are a little taller and holds the batter real well and then they settle in while baking.

chassidyg Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:45pm
post #10790 of 11579

Grandma, so glad they worked out for you!! I'm ordering some red & blue ones next week!!

Guess what, Guess what???? I did a grooms cake!! AND it looks ok!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so HAPPY!!!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1385984

sayhellojana Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:22pm
post #10791 of 11579

Chass, it looks better than ok! It looks freakin delicious!

chassidyg Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:26pm
post #10792 of 11579

OMG, you should see the inside!!! Choc fudge Sour Cream cake with ganache filling, and crumbcoated in ganache!!! I wanted to cut a piece off so bad! I'm making another one for my kids & mom!! icon_smile.gif

sayhellojana Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:32pm
post #10793 of 11579

To answer your question Chass, YES, I would like a slice!

GrandmaG Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:09pm
post #10794 of 11579

Looks delicious Chass! Want to share your recipe? icon_smile.gif

Got a question. If a cake recipe calls for oven temp 325 should I bake the cupcakes at that also or up to 350?

chassidyg Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:38pm
post #10795 of 11579

I bake all my cupcakes at 350 for 17 minutes Grandma, I bake my minis at 325 for 12 minutes. I dont care what the cake recipe says icon_smile.gif Just like my 3in high pans have to be baked at 325, but my 2in pans at 350 according to wilton. icon_smile.gif

And I made kakeladies WASC cake, but used choc fudge bc mixes icon_biggrin.gif

chassidyg Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:37pm
post #10796 of 11579

OMG! My sis in laws mother in law just came to pick up cake....I only charged her 40.00, but she was telling me a lady at their church only charges .50 a serving!

sayhellojana Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:40pm
post #10797 of 11579

That lady is crazy! There is no way she could turn a profit at .50/serving. Way to devalue a product. Shame.

GrandmaG Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:18pm
post #10798 of 11579

The lady at her church is probably just making plain jane sheet cakes without fillings and chocolate covered strawberries! Shame on her for making you feel your time and effort wasn't worth $40.00!

chassidyg Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:28am
post #10799 of 11579

ugh, my sis in law is harassasing me about how much I spent to make it now! I know she's going to try to do it herself! She wont spend more then a couple of dollars to make something though, and I'm not sharin my recipes!! icon_smile.gif

sayhellojana Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:25am
post #10800 of 11579

Ha. Thats ok. She'll end up with an iffy grocery store cake while your family is eating fresh, homemade cake. Yum!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%