How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Making Cupcakes?????

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 11 Dec 2020 , 12:18pm by -K8memphis

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:09am
post #6181 of 11579

ChefJulie- I sent you a PM...

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:22am
post #6182 of 11579

Ok, so I am trying to read through this enormous thread and am only at page 190 (yeah, I know, ONLY!) Anyways, first I wanted to thank you all for the wonderful information and recipes. You are all so caring, thoughtful and hilarious. So in the spirit if cupcakedom (is that a word??) I have made some, ok many, cupcakes over the past few weeks. All have been fairly flat, which was fine for my purposes. But tonight I tried Melvira's trick to get the domed tops, and it worked.... a little too well. They are gorgeous muffin tops, but I was hoping to try icing them to look like flowers, the begonias. So my question is, can I still ice them like this; can cupcakes be torted; or do I need to take these to work and play round two for the begonias? TIA for any and all help. And yes, I am truly a Cake Central and a Cupcake addict now!!

Amber

zoomzone Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:31am
post #6183 of 11579

Welcome Amber!
The cupcakes can be torted- but it so much easier to fill them by coring a ball out with a melon baller and replacing the top or an apple corer. My fav way to fill is to just pipe the filling in with a pastry tip. Just stick it in the middle of the cake and slowly squeeze until it starts to puff.
You could do the begonias on the top. try a few and see how they look?
Hope this helps.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:31am
post #6184 of 11579

The begonias are very forgiving. You can pipe them on anything! If a little bit of cupcake shows it's OK. Remember it is to eat and doesn't have to be perfect. I've piped them on both flat and domed. They always turn out pretty.

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:34am
post #6185 of 11579

Hi Amber! Glad to hear you are making it through all the madness! I totally think you could still do the flowers on top. Zoomzones right, try a few and see. Gives you more room to work on! thumbs_up.gif

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:37am
post #6186 of 11579

Thanks ZoomZone and GrandmaG! I will give the begonias a try then and see how it works. I can always torte later if they look funny, but then, my family is used to my MIL's baking, which can be a little, well, shall we say interesting. Thanks again, and now back to page 191 to try and catch up.

so totally addicted.......

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:40am
post #6187 of 11579

stsapph.. Welcome ! Looks like we caught another one ! yahoo!! I like to fill my cuppys with a#5-6 round tip and just poke 3 different holes in the cuppy top and fill each hole till it starts to come back out the same hole, Dont over fill or you will crack the top open . But if you do more then 1 hole you get lots of filling that way . There is no right or wrong way its just what ever works for you. We each have our own way of doing things ! Its all good !! Glad you joined us !

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:29am
post #6188 of 11579

Hey Amber... welcome to your new addiction!!

Now... try icing one of those super-domed cuppies and if it doesn't look quite right, how about slicing a little off the top like you would do with a cake? Sort of leveling it, you know?

Glad to have you with us... don't forget to post some pix for us... we love to see what everyone is doing!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 11:32am
post #6189 of 11579

I wanted to share a cupcake story. I'm sorry I don't have any pics of it. Anyways...

I made chocolate cupcakes for my cousin's birthday. His brithday was a week ago so yeah these are "I'm sorry I was too busy to bake you a cake on your actual birthday cupcakes". I made the batter. As I was scooping them into the liners, I thought, hmm... that doesn't look enough, maybe I should add more.

BIG MISTAKE!

They overflowed big time. I didn't wanna bake another batch so I trimmed them off. and put them in the fridge to cool. Then I made the chocolate mock bettercreme recipe. Took the flat topped cupcakes form the fridge, slapped a tiny bit of frosting on top, stuck them back in the fridge.

With the cake scraps, I made small cake balls using the mock bettercreme as binder. Then I stuck those in the fridge. I made about 50+ of them. Really cute.

Then I re-frosted the cupcakes, placed three cake balls on top and dusted them with powdered sugar. They looked really cute! And my cousin loved them. His favorite part were the cake balls. So thank God for the disaster I guess. LOL

fiddlesticks Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 11:37am
post #6190 of 11579

cupcakeshoppe..What a cute story !I love Happy Endings.

pinkbeesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbeesugar Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:04pm
post #6191 of 11579

Took a long vacation and was buried at work when I returned. Oh and my DH is out of town, but I wanted to tell you ladies that I have been trying to catch up on what I missed.

Thank you all for the new recipes and DaisyLisa, I tried the tie dyed cuppies and my kids loved them. This weekend I will try the new one you just posted. Curious to try vanilla pudding in the choc mix. I love to pipe the icing, so I might just put a small hershey bar on the top. Do you think I could put some choc shavings in the batter before I bake.

Thanks again ladies, I missed this thread!!!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:57pm
post #6192 of 11579

I'm making oatmeal chocolate muffins right now. I always thought the main difference between muffins and cupcakes were frosting (cupcakes have them, muffins don't) but when I was looking for a muffin recipe, I found out that the recipe itself is so different. This particular one uses just ONE EGG! I couldn't believe it. and the batter is wet, too. but thye smell really good. am topping them with toasted coconut mixed with brown sugar. icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks, it is. icon_smile.gif My cousin even came over to thank me for the cupcakes when he got home from school. He's in third grade icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm
post #6193 of 11579

cupcakeshoppe.. AWEEE! In the 3rd grade ,what a sweetheart ! Makes you glad you made them even if they were late!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:20pm
post #6194 of 11579

It really does. And he's the kind of kid who rarely says a word, too. icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:24pm
post #6195 of 11579

For those of you taking part lets not forget to vote for Schmulie65 today !I know she appreciates it !

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:33pm
post #6196 of 11579

I don't know if anybody else here at CC does any sewing or quilting, but I just came across this adorable pattern for a cupcake pincushion--SO cute--just thought I'd share...

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/6974.htm

zoomzone Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:34pm
post #6197 of 11579

Good save Cupcakeshoppe! Someday I will make some balls!!!

Is anyone else afraid to make cupcake balls or even other things as you know you will love them and they will just end up on your a$$?? or i am I the only one being paranoid??!! icon_redface.gif

My DH will be stubborn (I guess they call it willpower) about staying away from goodies staring you in the face on your counter, but I am not so evolved!

DaisyLisa17 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:26pm
post #6198 of 11579

Oh, zoomzone... I live with the biggest sweet-o-holic ever! I thought I was bad... he almost dug into my cake for cake class last night that I had cooling out on the counter!! When I am carving something out of rkt, he drools and whines until I give him whats left over. And Heaven forbid I dont have cookies in the pantry at all times. But what makes me so mad, is that he doesnt gain any weight!! Arrg!! If I ate like him I'd weigh a ton!! Grrr.

I gotta go vote for Julie... shes still in second!! I wish we could vote more than once a day!!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:38pm
post #6199 of 11579

I have to freeze my cakeballs when I make them! They're my biggest money maker though, and therefore a necessary evil icon_biggrin.gif What's funny about it though, is I dont even LIKE cake (weird, I know). They're more like a brownie though, and I cant resist a good brownie!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:02pm
post #6200 of 11579

zoomzone i think i ate 10 of them. it's addicting. especially since they were small, like a half a tablespoon, so i just kept popping them in my mouth. so yummy!!!! omg. now am craving them again!

chefjulie Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:25pm
post #6201 of 11579

DaisyLisa, do you think the choc. cake recipe you posted would work with white chocolate pudding? I only have a big box of vanilla pudding, but I have a small white chocolate. I also only have Pillsbury devil's food which already has pudding in the mix... is that ok?
Im itching to bake something, but I dont feel like going to the store icon_smile.gif

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:35pm
post #6202 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiane

I don't know if anybody else here at CC does any sewing or quilting, but I just came across this adorable pattern for a cupcake pincushion--SO cute--just thought I'd share...

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/6974.htm

Those are sooo pretty, was thinking when my small CC stand is empty that might be cute on the kitchen table!
Linda

fiddlesticks Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:40pm
post #6203 of 11579

There is a magazine out right now with some crouched(SP ) cupcakes on the cover at Hobby Lobby tittle says warm fuzzies they look real cute!

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:45pm
post #6204 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

There is a magazine out right now with some crouched(SP ) cupcakes on the cover at Hobby Lobby tittle says warm fuzzies they look real cute!

I bet that is adorable! I still haven't made it too HL with the coupon! The shelves get pretty empty here by mid-week!!!

Linda

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:41pm
post #6205 of 11579

CakeDiane: Those pin cushions are adorable!!!

I made a revised version of WASC cuppies the other day...well, they were actually in the mini wonder mold pan, then had some left over batter and made cuppies..
Anyway... I eliminated the almond emulsion and replaced some of the water with raspberry syrup, and they are YUUUUMMMY!! I needed more raspberry syrup, but too late, they were still great!! Next time!

grannyrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannyrose Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:23pm
post #6206 of 11579

My daughter made a hot dog cake (with a little help from mom) We used the cake ball recipe to shape the hot dog before adding the fondant "skin" Oh, we also made some cupcakes! hehehe I tried to upload a picture but it did not work

DaisyLisa17 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:47pm
post #6207 of 11579

ChefJulie- I dont see why not. Anyone think this would be a problem? I've made this recipe with and without the pudding mix in it and it is still good. Actually, now that I think about it, once I only had chocolate pudding mix and put that in there and the cake sunk. Someone in a forum said there may have been to high a fat content but I dont really understand all that. Maybe I hit it on the counter to hard when I set it down.

Hey, theres only one way to find out!! It sounds like a yummy combo to me!

micnmax2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micnmax2003 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:59pm
post #6208 of 11579

speaking of crocheted cupcakes, here is a free pattern (for those who are interested):

http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts/crochet/crocheted_cupcake.php

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 8:04pm
post #6209 of 11579

I swear I have missed like a hundred pages...if not more. No way i will be able to catch up. LOL You guys need to slow down!!!!! Ok so here's the thing....

My sister is 36 weeks pregnant today. She was in the hospital for about 18 hours on Monday night into Tuesday. We seriously thought she was gonna have the baby. Things slowed down she was able to relax and rest and they had to give her saline and an anti biotic, and she was sent home. She's got a dr's appt monday to see how things are going. I want to make some cupcakes to take up to the nurses when she goes in for delivery...Happy nurses...Better care. I'm going to make Chocolate cuppies with cookies and cream frosting, and white cuppies with either plain frosting or I might add a little lemon to it. I already have the frosting made (since we thought she was going Monday) and I know it'll hold in the fridge for about 2 weeks. my question is....

Mel how far in advance did you make yours when you went in to have Zach?

chefjulie Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 9:40pm
post #6210 of 11579

YAY! They're finished cooking.... I checked the nutrition facts on the white chocolate and vanilla and they were identical, so I went for it. They are probably the best smelling thing Ive ever made, seriously my kitchen smells incredible!! Since I made cc's instead of a cake, I baked at 350 (started at 400 and dropped the temp when I put them in the oven)
I decided to make a white chocolate bettercreme for the filling/icing and that's been a whole 'nother episode. I made the oh-so-intelligent mistake of pouring cold bc on melted chocolate. It didnt stay melted for long icon_razz.gif So, my filling is chunky, but I figure the original recipe had chocolate chunks, so it wont be too bad. It actually tastes amazing. Not sure if Im going to use it for the top yet....

Here's a pic of them cooling. They domed beautifully in the oven (I was a little worried about how high they were, but fell to a perfect height while cooling).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%