How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Making Cupcakes?????

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 11 Dec 2020 , 12:18pm by -K8memphis

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:55am
post #6121 of 11579

Oh, Oh, I'll vote too!! I love anything that can help kids. And Lord knows $2,000 would help any school and for it to be for good healthy snacks is great. I teach at a low looow economic school and most of my kids dont get good meals at home. So this one hits close to my heart.

Good luck Julie! Please keep us updated!

DaisyLisa17 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:59am
post #6122 of 11579

Ok, so I have to share my good news with my gals! I made the tushie cake for a friend of mine who was hosting a baby shower for her friend. Well, today I got a call from a lady who's daughter attended the shower and told her mom all about my cake and now she wants me to make her one for a shower she is hosting! I usually only do cakes for my friends and family, but I took this as a compliment and I am excited to do this for her. I am not a licensed bakery and I am charging her the cost of ingredients, so thats not too against the law, is it? Anyway, I'm excited and wanted to share!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:06am
post #6123 of 11579

Lisa, unfortunately, depending on your states laws, yes, that is *technically* illegal. HOWEVER, some states will allow you to do it without licensing as long as you meet certain criteria. For example, I do not require a license, but I cannot do over a certain level of income. (But it's like 25K or something ridiculous, I don't even get close) and I cannot bake and sell to commercial sources that will then resell them to people. There are a long list of rules, but as long as I am within those guidelines, I am legal.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:08am
post #6124 of 11579

I used yellow cake mix, non doctored, and so far, they look gooey and chocolatey where the candy pieces are, I chopped them up so they'd be about the size of a pea or smaller. The kit kat ones I practiced on last night, had little crunchy pieces throughout them, I made 2 boxes of kit kat in chocolate cake mix, and they were gone by noon, if I hadnt had one for breakfast before work, I wouldnt have gotten taste them!!

DaisyLisa17 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:11am
post #6125 of 11579

Mel, shhhh... please dont tell... icon_redface.gif

Melvira Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:34am
post #6126 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyLisa17

Mel, shhhh... please dont tell... icon_redface.gif

Girlfriend, you don't have to worry about me!! I'm the last person on earth that's going to give you that lecture, or any grief about it. I say, to each his own. You have to do what you feel comfortable doing, and no one needs to give you any flack for it!! thumbs_up.gif Besides, who wants to shell out the cash to 'get legal' until they find out if anyone would actually want to buy from them?? I don't think there is anything wrong with having what I like to call "an expanded test group"!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:35am
post #6127 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybird

As I travel through this forum and a few other sights, it seems that so many people are searching for good, dependable recipes for cupcakes. I would love to see a nice long discussion on this topic including favorite recipes for flat and domed cupcakes, fillings and tips on achieving good cupcakes.
The last two cupcake recipes I tried were miserable failures, but the peanut butter filling recipe on CC posted by Shirley W. was awesome. I also tried a lemon or lime curd recipe for filling that is "no fail" and can be frozen. I love recipes that can be made ahead and frozen for future use. I also discovered a new cupcake shape that is really cute for mimi cakes and I will share it also. I don't know how to post pictures so will have to describe it for you.
Also how about sources for really cute cupcake liners--anyone???
I hope we can keep this going for some good answers.
Lily

Hey Lily, I guess you got your wish -- for it to keep going for some good answers! See what you started... icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif

MissChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissChrissy Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:36am
post #6128 of 11579

I have a question about making strawberry bettercream.....DO I just add a strawberry extract or do I need to add anything else? I have the already whipped kind! OH yeah its for a man so I wouldn't wanting the icing to be pink icon_razz.gif

Melvira Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:43am
post #6129 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChrissy

I have a question about making strawberry bettercream.....DO I just add a strawberry extract or do I need to add anything else? I have the already whipped kind! OH yeah its for a man so I wouldn't wanting the icing to be pink icon_razz.gif

Extract would be just fine! Is it clear? Hope so, otherwise you're going to have to try and color it some other color. If you didn't mind pink I'd point you toward the Hershey's strawberry syrup. Man, that's good! thumbs_up.gif

DaisyLisa17 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:53am
post #6130 of 11579

I know I am not doing this the best way, but I dont do a lot of cakes and when I do, they are all usually for family and friends. I bake a lot and send them to work with my husband most of the time.

Anyhow, I have been on the hunt for a rental space, like a rent by the hour. Of course around here in BFE there arent any places like that. I have always been a city girl and the second I move out to the stix I decide to make this my hobby. Go figure. Cant get any bettercream and I couldnt even use it legally if I had some! icon_cry.gif I need some connections for a good rental space. Any ideas for a newbie?

Schmulie65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmulie65 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:55am
post #6131 of 11579

Thanks Lisa!! I'd do anything for kids too! and animals!! I see the cute kitty in your picture (or is it Avatar???--still not used to all the computer lingo, but trying). Good luck on the Tushie cake, it's very flattering when other people want you to do something for them! icon_smile.gif

Take care and I will keep you updated, thanks for asking.

Julie icon_smile.gif

DaisyLisa17 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:57am
post #6132 of 11579

Thanks Julie... yes, that is our new kitty. Rescued from the doorstep of the school I teach at. How sad is that?

Good luck in your contest, let us know how it turns out. I sent the link to some family and friends. icon_wink.gif

Melvira Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:00am
post #6133 of 11579

Yah Lisa, I want to smooch my screen every time I see your avatar! Hehehe. I am kitten crazy!! If they stayed small like that I'd have at least a dozen! icon_rolleyes.gif

DaisyLisa17 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:05am
post #6134 of 11579

Well, I have her sister in my other bathroom if youre interested!! LOL

Schmulie65 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:11am
post #6135 of 11579

Thanks for spreading the word!

You sound like me -- I rescued a cat (about 1 year old or less) last winter in Chicago area when temps were 20 below with the wind chill. Someone (jerk) must of dumped her off in my neighborhood she was not a wild cat because she was friendly and desperate. She was pawing at the windows and doors to get in my house and who could blame her! I had to leave for Florida the next day, so my son made a little house with blankets and a crate on the back porch and my neighbor feed her -- she was still there when we got back and is now fat and sassy and living comfortably indoors!! icon_smile.gif I worried the whole time I was in Florida. I guess she knew just where to go.

Julie

DaisyLisa17 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:18am
post #6136 of 11579

Aww, how sweet!! Youre right, she knew whos windows she was scratchin on! I have 2 pound puppies , one kitty we found at McDonalds, later named Mac, and now this little rugrat. I picked up 2 of them, still trying to find a home for the other one. But, I honestly think they were left there for a reason, as with our other babies. We were meant to have them all! They fit perfectly in our home!

We have a lot in common!

Melvira Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:19am
post #6137 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyLisa17

Well, I have her sister in my other bathroom if youre interested!! LOL

Do NOT go there!!! icon_cry.gif We are down to one cat now. He was a rescue from when we lived in this condo... the neighbors were kicked out for being low class trash (fighting in the wee hours, all kinds of disturbances) and so they dumped the litter box off their deck, right onto my porch, then ditched the cat. Of course he was attracted to his own poo, so he was hanging out on my porch. Well, I was not having that. When I saw his little polka dot belly... fahgeddaboudit!! I was wrapped. Almost 8 years later, he is still my big fat baby! Oh, and did I mention he is huge! I don't think about it most of the time but when someone comes over and sees him for the first time they're like, "WOAH!! That is a HUGE cat!!"

Edited to add: Oh... and he, um, he likes cupcakes! Yah, that's how I can make it look like I'm on subject here! Hehehe. He really loooooves mommy's cupcakes! Haha!

DaisyLisa17 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:39am
post #6138 of 11579

Ok, youre lucky this time! I think I may have found a home for her. A girl in my cake class is going to let me know for sure if she can take her, but I know she and her mom were really excited last week.

But next time I find a cutie like this one, I'll be knockin at your door! Kitty in one hand, and some cuppies in the other, of course.

serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:16am
post #6139 of 11579

hi all.. sorry to jump in :p but could i ask if anyone has tried replacing melted chocolate with hazelnut spread/ nutella?? I love nutella and would love to make a nutella cupcake but haven't had any luck finding a nutella cupcake recipe that actually uses nutella as an ingredient in making the cupcake batter.. anyone knows?

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:34am
post #6140 of 11579

Okay, a disclaimer before the pics: I just got a new super fancy SLR camera a couple of weeks ago. We're still getting used to each other, so the pics taken inside are still a little rough. I need to figure out which lens/ setting I need to use and just havent had time to sit down and play with it. I'll take better shot's of the finished cuppies tomorrow when I can take them outside in good lighting. thumbs_up.gif

The first show is the cc's without icing. Like I said, not pretty, but VERY tasty. (They look overdone, but the insides were PERFECT- I guess because of the lime juice?)

The second is the cuppies without decoration. You can see the tiny flecks of lime zest in the icing.

The last is the cc with lime decoration (and BAD lighting). These are not the candies I wanted, but I just didnt feel like going to a real candy store and getting the ones that actually look like limes.

Oh, I have to add that I had like 10 people try these today (thanks to my daughter's gymnastics class icon_smile.gif ) and EVERYONE loved the icing. The adults were thrilled that it wasnt too sweet and the lime juice and zest in the cake batter gave it a definite zing! I'll def be making these again.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:40am
post #6141 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linliv46

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulieatkins

Im making some strawberry limeade cc's. The cupcake is lime (LOTS of lime zest, lime juice, and a small can of limeade).
I just mixed up the bettercream with strawberry syrup and it seems WAY too sweet. I folded in a mixture of cream cheese, pudding, and milk (as a mousse ALA Melvira) but it still seems to sweet. Is there anyway to cut the sweetness?
Im on a low-glycemic diet, so I guess it could just seem too sweet since I havent had refined sugar in a few weeks, but I dont think so.

Those sound sooo good! I wish I could go off sugar for a few weeks! icon_rolleyes.gif Did you add all the lime things to a cake mix?
Linda

I didnt think I would actually make it without sugar, but it's actually been GREAT! I feel SO much better and have lost 18 pounds in 3 weeks!! I only have 6 pounds to go and I'll be back to my pre-baby size 6 icon_biggrin.gif It does make it SUPER tough to develop new recipes, but it def makes me realize where all the weight came from. It wasnt the main meals, but all the little tastes that I would take while cooking.

What lime things? I added the zest and juice of three limes AND a 6 oz can of lime concentrate to the cake mix. THEN I added the zest and juice of one lime to the bettercream.

DaisyLisa17 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:10am
post #6142 of 11579

Julie-- those are sooooo cute!! And sound amazing. Your piping is beautiful!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:12pm
post #6143 of 11579

Julie ! Way to go ! They look wonderful !

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:21pm
post #6144 of 11579

Julie, those look great! I'm anxious to try those with the strawberry/cream cheese. Sounds sooo good!

Schmulie65 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:13pm
post #6145 of 11579

Chef Julie your cupcakes sound extremely yummy! icon_smile.gif The strawberry/lime is wonderful I bet!

Schmulie65 a.k.a Julie

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:27pm
post #6146 of 11579

Julie you are very welcome and I sure hope you win. icon_biggrin.gif

GrandmaG sorry to hear that yours weren't on clearance but maybe they will go on clearance soon. I hope so.

I'm thinking about going back and getting more. At those prices they are probably gone anyway. icon_biggrin.gif

DaisyLisa17 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:29pm
post #6147 of 11579

Have yall seen these? I found them in the template gallery. I thought they were too cute, and they're made out of plates!! I have seen plates like these everywhere, I even think they are on clearance at my WalMart right now!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_88358.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_88359.html

icon_lol.gif

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:38pm
post #6148 of 11579

Lisa,

Those are so pretty and I've seen those sets too. I think it was at Walmart also. I might have to go check it out especailly if there's a chance that they are on clearance. I love all the color possibilities.

Thanks,
Meemaw icon_biggrin.gif

Schmulie65 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:15pm
post #6149 of 11579

Wow, Lisa,

I love the stacking plates, glad you found and shared the idea! I won't rest until I go to the Dollar Store or Wal-mart. I think, if I remember correctly that Walgreens has summer stuff on clearance and they did have some plastic plates and cups as well. It might be worth checking out too!

Schmulie (Julie)--Not sure what name to use, I know that there is at least one other person named Julie on this thread, right??

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:40pm
post #6150 of 11579

Schmulie65.. Might want to use your CC name , The other Julie is part of her CCname to !(chefjulieatkins)..Just a thought !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%