How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Making Cupcakes?????

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 11 Dec 2020 , 12:18pm by -K8memphis

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:43pm
post #6151 of 11579

My hubby will be home on leave in about a week and asked for cupcakes like a hostess brand cupcake with creme filling. He has such refined tastes icon_razz.gif
Ive never actually had a hostess cupcake, and am not entirely sure what they are. Im thinking they're the little chocolate cakes with the swirlies on top?
Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to make these?

serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:31pm
post #6152 of 11579

Hi chefjulieatkins... i found this hostess recipe on this blog.. i've been dying to try it cos it looks so delicious.. but haven't had the time yet... Hope this helps and if you do make it let me know if its worked out good for you icon_smile.gif

http://meganscookin.blogspot.com/2008/02/mock-hostess-cupcakes.html

Here's another one icon_smile.gif
http://www.bigcitylittlekitchen.com/2007/10/11/high-end-hostess-cakes/

chefjulie Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:10pm
post #6153 of 11579

THANK YOU!!!!!! That is exactly what I was looking for icon_biggrin.gif
Im still trying to wrap my head around the idea that my 35 year old hubby wants me to duplicate a hostess cupcake for him, but I guess 6 months in Iraq makes you crave the simple things.

serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:21pm
post #6154 of 11579

Haha... we can't get hostess cupcakes where i am but i worked in the US for a 2 weeks and per request of my hubby actually brought back some twinkies for him... and that's when i realised how delicious these little things are... that's one reason why i've actually been keeping these 2 recipes.. want to try them out and see how they compare to twinkies.. haha.. so do let me know if they turn out great!! icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:53pm
post #6155 of 11579

chefjulie... if your hubby wants that kind of cuppie, you HAVE to make him the bettercreme filled cakes!! It will make the Hostess cakes seems like little bricks of cardboard!! All you have to do is bake devil's food cupcakes, then fill them with bettercreme (add any flavoring he likes if you want... Hershey's Malted Chocolate syrup is freaking incredible) then dip the tops in ganache. It is amazing!! He will go bonkers over it!!

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:54pm
post #6156 of 11579

Chef Julie... another AMAZING recipe for the cream is from our own dear Melvira. Here's the link below. I made this and put it into some chocolate cuppies. People were dying for these!! And I continuosly get requests for them. It's soo good and sooo easy!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2311-0-Cupcake-filling.html

chefjulie Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:55pm
post #6157 of 11579

Oh, I SO wanted him to want the malted cc's so I would have a good excuse to try them. He said he doesnt like malt, though icon_sad.gif Im gonna make them anyway and force him to try it icon_biggrin.gif
What would be a good flavor to flavor the BC filling other than malt? should I leave it plain?

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:04pm
post #6158 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmulie65

Thanks Lisa!! I'd do anything for kids too! and animals!! I see the cute kitty in your picture (or is it Avatar???--still not used to all the computer lingo, but trying). Good luck on the Tushie cake, it's very flattering when other people want you to do something for them! icon_smile.gif

Take care and I will keep you updated, thanks for asking.

Julie icon_smile.gif

Hey Julie, welcome, and I just wanted to tell everyone that it says on the Dole site you can vote "one time every day"! Didn't know if anyone else read that or not! Good luck!
Linda

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:12pm
post #6159 of 11579

I did ..I voted again today !!!
For all you lime users out there , I just saw the lime flavored syrup by TORANI!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:34pm
post #6160 of 11579

Fiddlesticks, I made a caramel bettercreme and topped with mixed nuts on top of the caramel apple cupcakes, and there wasnt any left, they ate all 48 I made of those! I sent over 150 cupcakes for 20 mgrs, 3 secretarys, 5 supervisors, 1 dop's & his assistant & the owner of our company. not 1 cupcake left, they did have 1 left, but one of the secretary's took it for her ride home.

Thank you all for sharing your recipes! The ones I borrowed for today turned out fantastic!

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:36pm
post #6161 of 11579

chassidyg.. Way to make them want more ! LOL!! Im happy for you !

Melvira Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:42pm
post #6162 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulieatkins

What would be a good flavor to flavor the BC filling other than malt? should I leave it plain?

OMG... ANYTHING!! What flavor does he like? You simply CANNOT go wrong with any of them. (Hmmm... do they make steak extract? Hehehe!)

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:48pm
post #6163 of 11579

steak extract? . Mel That would go good with my potato salad cuppies !LOL!!

Melvira Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:51pm
post #6164 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

steak extract? . Mel That would go good with my potato salad cuppies !LOL!!

Heheheh... now we just need some chocolate hotdogs for our main course!

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:59pm
post #6165 of 11579

Oh Mel A choc weiner ! That could be dangerous !LOL!
What does anyone think about ..What if you dropped a lindor truffle in side a cuppy before you baked it ? I love those things !

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:47pm
post #6166 of 11579

ChefJulie, I like the idea of the first recipe that serenelui gave you. Sounds really good!
Fiddle, I put a truffle in my cupcakes once and they sunk to the bottom and stuck to the liner.
icon_sad.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:50pm
post #6167 of 11579

icon_cry.gif NO Dont tell me that sunk !! icon_cry.gif Did you just drop in a whole one ? icon_confused.gif

GrandmaG Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:23pm
post #6168 of 11579

Yes, I put in a whole one after I filed the cups. The outside stayed firm but the inside melted and stuck to the bottom.

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:29pm
post #6169 of 11579

I wonder if those would work adding them after the batter has firmed up a bit ? Or do you think they were still to heavy ? They seem pretty light when I popped a couple in my mouth today !LOL!! Idont buy them often I cant stop eating them ! Then I only buy 2 pieces. I buy the big bag at Holiday time !

GrandmaG Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:39pm
post #6170 of 11579

I used the Lindor ones with the soft center. I think the problem was that the middle melted and got gooey and stuck. I don't think it was a matter of weight. It might help to freeze them first!

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:46pm
post #6171 of 11579

Thanks GrandmaG.Thats the same ones Im talking about ! Just made me think of a cuppy today when I bought a couple!

DaisyLisa17 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 9:48pm
post #6172 of 11579

Hey ladies, I'm not sure who posted the Chocolate Cherry cake in the recipe files... but I think I am gonna give it a whirl today. But I have a question... can I make a 2 layer cake out of this? Was wondering if it would be sturdy? I need a cake for my cake class tomorrow and I want something different than a plain ole cake. I am sending it with my mother in law to work the next morning so I wanted to do something yummy. If anyone has an idea, please let me know! Oh, it will be covered with fondant... will that be good? Hmm...

DaisyLisa17 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 9:59pm
post #6173 of 11579

And I wanted to post a recipe that my mom gave me a long time ago. It is definitely a popular cake! She had a name for it, but I renamed it "The Queen Lisa." (My last name is King, so my hubby calls me his queen... hence the name of the cake....) Anyway, if anyone has a chance to try it out I would love to hear feedback! The icing is especially scrumptious!! And I have made this into cupcakes before and they are wonderful!!

Cake:

1 box Devils Food
1 small box instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup oil
3 eggs
1 1/4 cup milk

Sift cake mix and pudding together. Beat eggs, oil, and milk. Add to dry mixture and beat well. Bake at 325.

Icing:

1 8 oz cream cheese softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
6 plain Hershey bars chopped
1 12 oz Cool Whip

Beat together cream cheese and sugars until creamy. Fold in chocolate pieces to cream cheese mixture. Fold in Cool Whip.

I save back one of the chopped Hershey bar and sprinkle on top. Mmmm!!

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 11:02pm
post #6174 of 11579
Quote:

My hubby will be home on leave in about a week and asked for cupcakes like a hostess brand cupcake with creme filling. He has such refined tastes icon_razz.gif
Ive never actually had a hostess cupcake, and am not entirely sure what they are. Im thinking they're the little chocolate cakes with the swirlies on top?

Julie, check out my "blog". I posted Hostess cupcakes on July 13. I have a real easy recipe that I can PM to you also.
http://applespeachespumpkinpie.blogspot.com
HaHa I am not a "real" blogger.
This was a way for me to share my recipes with my kids and family. (and remember what I made!)

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 11:04pm
post #6175 of 11579

Oh wow Lisa,

That sounds good. I might have to try it. How do you think it would be in a cupcake? I bet it would taste Yummy. icon_biggrin.gif

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 11:04pm
post #6176 of 11579

Oh wow Lisa,

That sounds good. I might have to try it. How do you think it would be in a cupcake? I bet it would taste Yummy. icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 11:07pm
post #6177 of 11579

Lisa That looks good. I wonder if we can sub bettercreme for the cool whip ? Well Im sure we can !That sounds so good with the candy bars !Thanks for sharing !

chefjulie Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 11:25pm
post #6178 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzone

Quote:

Julie, check out my "blog". I posted Hostess cupcakes on July 13. I have a real easy recipe that I can PM to you also.
http://applespeachespumpkinpie.blogspot.com
HaHa I am not a "real" blogger.
This was a way for me to share my recipes with my kids and family. (and remember what I made!)

Zoomzoom, I would love the recipe!!

DaisyLisa17 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 11:29pm
post #6179 of 11579

Meemaw, I have done it in cupcakes before to take to work and it worked great. You just cant pipe the icing on, obviously, with the chocolate chunks. I am a sucker for anything cream cheese so this hits the spot when I need it!

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 11:46pm
post #6180 of 11579

OOOO Lisa I will try this soon! I never thought of putting vanilla pudding in Choc. I bet its a little smoother? I will try it!
Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%