Please Help!!! Brown Fondant Is Green/brown!

Decorating By seagoat Updated 16 Apr 2008 , 2:17pm by seagoat

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 6

Hello fellow CC'ers

I am making a beer bottle cake today and my fondant is a greenish brown. I want it to be dark brown, so after adding a bottle of wilton's brown..(only have soft brown in americolor) I added a lil black and that's when the green came in. Any color masters can help my fondant???

I am out of marshmellow and have to drive an hour to buy more. So, I have to fix this batch!

Please HELP!!!

Jessica

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:07pm
post #2 of 6

Well your problem is the use of the 'soft brown' icon_sad.gif It just isn't made to be a dark brown.
About the only thing I can suggest at this point is to add some UNsweet cocoa powder to the fondant; oh, oh, oh.......instead of adding it or in addition brush it on. Mix the cocoa powder as you would a 'dust' w/some extract or vodka and paint it on. I'd try this on a small scrap of fondant.
Adding the cocoa is going to dry out the fondant some (depending on how much you add) so you are going to have to play w/adding additional water or egg white and/or shortening to keep it ply-able and supple.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 6

I would venture to say this is also related to the issue of fading red, a problem that started when they took the #2 Red Dye off the market 20+ years ago.

When all 3 primary colors are mixed you get black .. but only if they are pure primary colors. Since none of us use "pure" color, we are going to get various shades of brown/black/grey.

You have green showing up. Green = blue + yellow. Brown (theorectically) = blue + yellow + red.

Your red faded and/or isn't as strong as the blue/yellows in your colors.

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 6

I did this exact same thing and came out with the exact same color using the Wilton when working with BC. I solved it in a completely different batch by adding cocoa powder which gave me a true brown. I am not sure if you can add cocoa powder to fondant......so I would practice with the paint on method mentioned above on a small piece.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 6

Indydebi is right. It's all about complementary colors. When these colors are mixed correctly, you get brown. So the complement of green is red. If you are getting a greenish tint to the brown, ADD red. Go a little at a time because sometimes you are just at the balance point and it won't take much. If you go too far, you'll have a reddish brown. If that happens, add a little green. If you happen upon a cheap color wheel it will help a lot. Mine is in my head as I taught elementary art for 26 1/2 years.

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks you guys,

Unfortunatly the web site was down and I couldn't see your replys. But I did have a brain fart and added cocoa powder..turned out great!

Here is the pic
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%