Most Unused Tool In Your Pantry!!!!!

Decorating By ashianadotkom Updated 30 Aug 2006 , 2:53am by IamSusie

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 4:54am
post #31 of 140

I can't get the leveler to work right either. It winds up coming through the top of my cakes! Then I have to try & fix them which is really hard. SO I don't use it anymore. I also have the icer cadget with all the different shapes. I have NEVER used that. Another thing is the egg seperator gadget... don't use it it doesn't work!! The yolk will fall into the bowl every time!! I will not use it again. Cake levelers don't work for me either. I don't like them at all. Oh, last but not least the heating core. What a big waste of money!! I've used it a few times & it ruined every cake I used it on. It went to the trash a long time ago!

Good post Asiah!!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 5:38am
post #32 of 140

let me say, what a great thread...i was going to buy the wilton sculpting icing thingy that seems not to be any good.
my most useless item is the $50.00 wilton adjustable turntable! i got it on sale and realy excited about it, but have read so many bad reviews i am scard to even try it....dont want my cake to end up all over the table after i have worked for hours on it.
if this is a good product let me know and i may try it anyway
melody

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 5:50am
post #33 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdixoncakes

I have the leveler and it's just easier to pull out a serrated knife and level instead of dragging that thing down. I also have the Decorator Pro and the interchangeable side combs. I was hoping I'd end up using those at some point but now that I've read the posts, reality is starting to set in. Oh well.

Haha, well I would have to agree on the levellers, both the small one and the larger one, I find a large serrated knife a lot easier to use so rarely, if ever, do I use the levellers. Guess it is all in what you get used to. I started out using a serrated knife 30 years ago and I find it faster.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 6:25am
post #34 of 140

Well, I'm glad I didn't buy the wilton sculpting thingie! LOL. I did get the large coupler and tip for frosting the cake because they told me I needed to in course one, but I can't seem to get the hang of it. Probably due to my carpo-tunnel, I just can't squeeze that much frosting all at once. I just use a bag w/out a tip and apply my frosting that way (which one of my instructors was shocked to hear saying that made it way to much work, but hey, it works for me). I also got the large leveler and OMG, what a total waste! It destroyed my cake. I used it once and there it sits taking up space now (I'm horrendous at returns). I do use the regular leveler, but I don't slide it over the cake. I just hold it steady and slide the cake through. My kids go nuts over cake top. I send all four kids outside with the pan full of cake tops and they have a party. They love when I have several cakes to make. Esp the chocolate ones.

ivanabacowboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivanabacowboy Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 6:46am
post #35 of 140

This is a very good thread esp for newbies so we know what doesnt work even for the experienced.

I already axed the icing sculptor off the list given it's fairly dismal reviews. Axing the large leveler and the tilting turntable. And even I have already personally axed the disposable bags (and went out and bought real ones).

List to investigate: parchment cones.

PS I thought it was just a newbie thing because I didnt have the tilting turntable that I have used my lazy susan too with boarded cakes lol!

SheilaF Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 7:00am
post #36 of 140

I guess I'm weird b/c I prefer the disposable bags. As long as you don't get a bad box that has aneurysms on a regular basis when working on cakes. I just can't stand cleaning up the bags and I tend to use many bags many different colors at the same time for a single project, so it's just easier (for me) to use the disposable. Am I the only one who feels that way????

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 7:03am
post #37 of 140

I hardly ever use parchment..I use the disposables and the satin touch deco bags.

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 7:27am
post #38 of 140

I also use the dissposable bags and the icing thing I got on clerance for $5.00 but I never used it I don't never use that much icing on my cakes.

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 7:34am
post #39 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

I can't get the leveler to work right either. It winds up coming through the top of my cakes! Then I have to try & fix them which is really hard. SO I don't use it anymore. I also have the icer cadget with all the different shapes. I have NEVER used that. Another thing is the egg seperator gadget... don't use it it doesn't work!! The yolk will fall into the bowl every time!! I will not use it again. Cake levelers don't work for me either. I don't like them at all. Oh, last but not least the heating core. What a big waste of money!! I've used it a few times & it ruined every cake I used it on. It went to the trash a long time ago!

Good post Asiah!!

I was thinking about getting the heating core. What do you use instead? Thanks!

ThatGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatGrace Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 11:47am
post #40 of 140

Let's seeeee, I never use my large leveler (it's not level!!!) and hardly ever use the large couplers. I'm sure I could find more if I dug way back in my cabinet!! I bought the tilting turntable and used it for about a week and then returned it. It wouldn't lock into place and I thought my cake would fall off. I also have the heavy Wilton turn table and I never use it. It's toooo wobbly!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 11:54am
post #41 of 140

I, too, have the heavy Wilton turntable and agree that it is too wobbly. I thought it was just the one that I have. I begged for this at Christmas and even gave my M-I-L the 40% off coupon at Michael's to get it. It just may go on Ebay. I use the plastic Wilton on all the time and even take it when I do kid's cake decorating birthday parties.

Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 12:15pm
post #42 of 140

This is a great thread....

About the disposable bags....I really don't like the Wilton kind...they seem to always break. I've bought the Ateco kind, and I've never had a break...I bought a 100 pkg, and I must have used more than half, and no break.

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 12:27pm
post #43 of 140

I don't know what it's called, but it's the impression set that you use to measure out your string work. I use the mat to divide the cake--but not the thing that you use to impress the pattern on the cake. I used it once and didnt' like how you could see the line--thought it looked tacky.

Lisa

aslate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aslate Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 12:33pm
post #44 of 140

I bought the icing sculpting triangle. It is as useless as the comb everyone is talking about. I have used it once for a paying cutomer and was not happy with the results.

I don't like the disposable bags---too many breaks. But I will use them if I only need a small amount of icing. I would rather throw it away than clean my other bag.

To level my cakes, I press them with a wet, clean dishcloth as soon as they come out of the oven. I wondered if the leveler would be a good purchase, but I now see it is not. Thanks everyone!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 12:44pm
post #45 of 140

Definitely my leveler as well. Also these things I bought from Pampered Chef, can't even remember what they're called. Two big handled slate-thingys you can use to move pick up and move a cake/pizza/etc.

Tried it once and the cake split in half.

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 12:48pm
post #46 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashianadotkom

Come on i know you got at least one!!!!????
What king of cake baking/decorating tool did you buy and barely or never used it? So we don't have to waste our money!!
I bought the icing sculptor and it was the un-handiest thing i've ever tried.
AShiana

GREAT THREAD! It's interesting to see what things people actually use . . . Ok, lets see, after reading all the posts, I have to disagree with most of ya'll on the Large Wilton Leveler, I basically use it on all my cakes. The trick is, I level the cake the next day (about 12-24 hrs after baking it). Also, you gotta do it slowly, this is not the time to rush. The times I've been in a hurry is when I've had little problems with it, but if I breathe in and breathe out and do it slowly, Wha-la! Perfect every time!

Next, the disposable bags, I use them all the time too, no real complaints about them. I just like the fact that I don't need to wash something extra thumbs_up.gif

Large Spatula, I love for my big cakes, it's a must for me icon_smile.gif Hey, who was the one that wanted to get rid of theirs???? Send yours to me, I can always use an extra one icon_wink.gif

Okay now, here's what I don't use: The cake baking strips! There was Thread about this the other day, so I may given them another try. . .BUT my cakes always end up shrinking and looking really weird - aren't they suppose to prevent cakes from looking weird????? icon_lol.gif
The baking core, used it once, and well, I didn't like having to deal with the hole and then take the piece of cake from inside the core. . .ahhh, it was a pain. I think next time I need some type of core, all use the flower nail like I read in another thread thumbs_up.gif
I don't use most of my tips b/c I work mostly with fondant and gumpast,
but I don't think they were a waste of money - I'll use them eventually for some project icon_smile.gif
Oh, oh, oh, the plastic rose scissor thingie - I don't think I ever used it, except when I did the wilton class and that was only once!

Last, but not least (b/c I think I can go on writing more things, I just can't think of them all right now!) I bought the "Creme bouquet" Flavoring, I used to once and didn't like the flavor it gave my cake, so I have a big bottle just sitting there. . .

The good thing is that most, if not all these items were bought using the 40% off Michael's coupon! Thank goodness!
The other good thing is, that maybe 1 day, I might find alternative uses for some of these things. . .for example, I can use the cake leveling strips to tie someone up or something . . . icon_lol.gif

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 12:48pm
post #47 of 140

Cake comb - I think these of these as too old school.
Creame Boquet, Champagne, and Almond - ick

I love my small leveler and my icer tip.

wifeshelper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wifeshelper Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 12:58pm
post #48 of 140

I bought my wife a cookie press last year its still sitting in the box shes never used that.

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 1:04pm
post #49 of 140

Things I have learned on this post do not buy sculpter, large couplers, tilting turntable! I do like my large spatula for my large cakes only because I was trained to use it in a store I worked at once! That helpedI am glad I am too frugile too buy the sculpter I have looked at it many of times!

Maryanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maryanne Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 1:07pm
post #50 of 140

Gee I'm glad this thread got started! I've had the large leveler on my wish list for a year but will cross it off after everything I've read here. My biggest waste was the large icing tip and 16" bag. I'll use it for corners on square cakes, but found that it's much easier to practice "getting the hang" of icing a cake the way I was taught in the Wilton I course.

Regarding the large coupler, my Wilton instructor taught us to use it to rest the flower nail in while making roses, if we get interrupted or just need to set it down for a minute. It's the one and only thing I've used it for, and it works pretty well for that.

By the way, I apologize for just jumping in without introducing myself. I've been surfing the forum for a while now but was shy about contributing, especially since I'm so new to decorating. You guys are great and I love logging on to see what's new! icon_biggrin.gif

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:26pm
post #51 of 140

I just bought the core a few weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to try it yet - I think I'll just take it back, because I DID get the chance to bake with the flower nail, and that worked GREAT! I don't use levelers, I just "push" the cake level when it comes out of the oven. What a great thread! it's great to get useful information like this from people who have experience with the tools that we've THOUGHT about using! Thanks!

tabs8774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabs8774 Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 3:11pm
post #52 of 140

i have to admit that i was so excited to get the sculpter set, but i tried it out twice and couldn't get it to work at all. good to know that it wasn't just me. hahaha right now its scattered all over one of my gadget drawers. i need a useless gadget bin. icon_lol.gif

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 3:16pm
post #53 of 140

Yeah I got a kitched aid HAND MIXER.. One day I will graduate up there with the big dogs....... Congrats on yours though maybe your hubby can talk to my hubby!

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 3:47pm
post #54 of 140

I'm glad to hear so many people ditched the cake leveler. I thought I was just doing something wrong. I use a knife, but will have to give the dental floss a try.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 3:53pm
post #55 of 140

Welcome Maryanne... just jump right in cause we're glad to have you here!! Welcome!!

PolishMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PolishMommy Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 4:12pm
post #56 of 140

I never use that plastic sheet for dividing cakes. I can get about every combination I need from eyeballing halfs and thirds. I think Wilton advertises it as a fondant rolling sheet...that would be a joke considering how bent up it is from the box. I tried ironing it (under a thin cloth) and everything.

As for other kitchen items, I would have to say a potato ricer. I saw Martha using one and HAD to get it. But I learned my lesson...I never get any gadget thingies anymore until I think of needing them several times!

SheilaF Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 4:52pm
post #57 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryanne

Regarding the large coupler, my Wilton instructor taught us to use it to rest the flower nail in while making roses, if we get interrupted or just need to set it down for a minute. It's the one and only thing I've used it for, and it works pretty well for that.

That is a great idea! LOL. Thanks for mentioning it. I get interrupted when I do flowers all the time and usually end up loosing a few.

I got the counter mixer after the first day of course one, and I have to say, that is the best money I've ever spent! Especially for doing Royal Icing. I just don't have the time to stand there and hold a mixer. Kids seem to have radar and "need" me the second the phone rings or I start baking in the kitchen (part of the reason I'm up half the night working on cakes, because I don't even get started till 9pm after they are all in bed).

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 6:37pm
post #58 of 140

Guess this post also shows how different we all are.

I love my cake leveler ( I have the small one) I use it on every cake.

I also LOVE dis. bags. I rarely ever use anything else.

I also use my fondant mat all the time. I measure my fondant on it and I use it to roll out gumpaste and fondant too.

The things I am starting to realize aren't very useful are character pans. Most of mine have been used once and they take up tons of space! My cake cabinet is growing into a cake kitchen. I recently moved some of my least used cake things into the playroom closet. I am trying to talk DH into adding on and building a bigger kitchen. I guess I am just going to have to sell more cakes so I the $$$ to pay for that expansion.

SheilaF Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 6:41pm
post #59 of 140

LOL. I have quite the collection of character pans now too. I have not used them as much since I learned how to do the frozen buttercream transfer technique. I have a chest full of those plus the bottom cabnets in my laundry room and a box in the laundry room, and gee, I think there are some in the garage too!

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 7:06pm
post #60 of 140

I prefer my disposable bags too. But I agree with LemonDrop, Ateco is much better than Wilton. I haven't had any problems with the Ateco bags either. I also didn't have a problem with my leveler, just found it faster and neater to use the floss. I don't use the wilton Fondant mat, though. It just didn't work that great for me. It was always bent no matter what I tried and it was often too small for the cakes I make anyways. I bought a counter size (26" x 36" ?) non stick (silpat) mat. I am in love with that thing! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%