Sugarshack's Buttercream For A 4.5Qt??

Decorating By bake-A-cake00 Updated 5 May 2008 , 4:59pm by msthang1224

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:06pm
post #31 of 51

Grace the already made kind has A LOT of sugar.. so it might change everything if you use that .. I dunno though

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:49pm
post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Grace the already made kind has A LOT of sugar.. so it might change everything if you use that .. I dunno though

Lol, Christi, that would explain why I love the taste of the liquid one so much more than the powdered. I've only used the powdered one twice (I'm talkin about for it's original purpose - in coffee) and I don't care for it. icon_lol.gif

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 6:22pm
post #33 of 51

dshlent:

did everything fill your KA up to the top? Did you let it mix for 6-7 minutes?

...did you use the coffee creamer HOT ? ...and did you use hi-ratio?
The only time it has come out airy for me was when I used real butter.

Hopefully someone can add in anything else?

wgoat5 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:07pm
post #34 of 51

You know I can honestly say.. ever since I started using Sharons recipe.. and her style of making the BC I have had NO airbubbles at all.. I really recommend any and all reading this to give it a chance.. icon_smile.gif

dshlent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dshlent Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:20pm
post #35 of 51

It filled up to the top of the paddle. I was afraid to let it mix more than a couple of minute. I did use hot water. I wonder though if it was to stiff? I noticed it was pretty stiff so I wonder if I added more hot water if it would have gotten creamer???

wgoat5 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:25pm
post #36 of 51

while you are mixing it for the last part while it is STILL running (the mixer) go around it with a spoonula.. it will cause the icing to spread and the air to not get in.... it will sound like it is straining the mixer but it will be fine icon_smile.gif

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:47pm
post #37 of 51

Yea so it will fit in my 4.5 qu. good I tried to cut down on receipe and it didn't work for me, so i will try the full even if it makes a mess!!

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 8:47pm
post #38 of 51

I definitely recommend letting it mix for at least 7 minutes. I have the 4.5 KA and I used about 12-13 TBSP of liquid and it was fine. It shouldn't be too soft...I like it stiff, it holds its shape better and smooths better...in my opinion.

I've had air bubbles before and it's been too soft- way too hard to smooth.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:17pm
post #39 of 51
Quote:

while you are mixing it for the last part while it is STILL running (the mixer) go around it with a spoonula.. it will cause the icing to spread and the air to not get in.... it will sound like it is straining the mixer but it will be fine icon_smile.gif

Okay, you're going to make my poor hubby spend more money now, aren't you?! icon_sad.gif Now I'm going to have to buy SugarShack's DVD's too! icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

dshlent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dshlent Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:16pm
post #40 of 51

So maybe if I scrap a little more around the sides and mix longer it will turn out better?? How do you know if you have scraped enough??

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 10:36pm
post #41 of 51

here is a video of how i make it and it's not messy at all!

good luck ladies...

sugarshack Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 10:40pm
post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

SugarShack/Sharon, do you ever just use liquid coffee creamer?

nope.

never tried it sorry

does it have to be fridged after making? i do not want to have to fridge it

sugarshack Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 10:41pm
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshlent

It filled up to the top of the paddle. I was afraid to let it mix more than a couple of minute. I did use hot water. I wonder though if it was to stiff? I noticed it was pretty stiff so I wonder if I added more hot water if it would have gotten creamer???

sometimes just a tsp or 2 more of liquid can cure the air bubble problem

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 10:59pm
post #44 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

SugarShack/Sharon, do you ever just use liquid coffee creamer?

nope.

never tried it sorry

does it have to be fridged after making? i do not want to have to fridge it

If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me, but I believe with the high amount of sugar incorporated into the icing, it does not need to be refrigerated.

Thanks so much for answering my question. icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 11:34pm
post #45 of 51

same princiapl as ganache or even using the powdered creamer, I suppose.

I am not sure if the liquid kind would modify the results any, but it sure is worth a try, esp the flavored kinds!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:12am
post #46 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

same princiapl as ganache or even using the powdered creamer, I suppose.

I am not sure if the liquid kind would modify the results any, but it sure is worth a try, esp the flavored kinds!

Those flavored ones are exactly what I had in mind! icon_wink.gif I've got about five of them in my freezer waiting for my next WASC and I've heard of them being added to BC but I haven't tried it myself.

wgoat5 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:38am
post #47 of 51

Dont add all the liquid as the flavored creamer grace.. it will be way to sweet icon_wink.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:48am
post #48 of 51
Quote:

Dont add all the liquid as the flavored creamer grace.. it will be way to sweet icon_wink.gif

Thanks!

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 10:38am
post #49 of 51

Dshlent, i used the same amounbt that you did and I got the same results. I can't imagine what happened. I couldn't see until after my powder sugar shower in my kitchen faded, lol. I tried the towel trick but I think it only works for the inventor (sugarshack), lol. I'm not going to give up, will try ahain but what I will do is seek out some of that hi-ratio shortening, sweetex, that she uses. Maybe that's what my problem is?

sugarshack Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:03pm
post #50 of 51

Msthang what was the rpoblem again? grainiess?

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:59pm
post #51 of 51

Sorry, i'm answering so late! Yes, I had a bit of graininess and mines was too thick even though I continued to add the liquid creamer. I don't know but all in all it taste great to me. It just wasn't as smooth as yours. I need you special touch or something, lol icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%