Loop Hole To Being Illegal?

Lounge By CharmingConfections Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 2:21pm by MrsMissey

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:54pm
post #31 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGirlMN

I don't see why any of us who have invested in our *businesses* should have to compete with illegal hobbyists. Your "building up a client base" and "being paid for a hobby" seriously devalues custom cakes in general.

I see the point of that, and agree totally. I used to do craft shows, and I was competing with little old ladies who got their materials through donations and did the stuff just to pass the time. They sold their items for less than the materials would have cost me. I can't compete with that, and had to stop trying.

My issue, and my heartbreak, is that I now know I can't make cakes for my family and get reimbursed for the supplies I use. These folks are not competition for anyone else's cake business. If they didn't know me, they'd seriously make their own little cake with Betty Crocker's help. icon_razz.gif But since they have me in the family, they want to a) give me a chance to make a 'special' cake to add to my portfolio (at my request), and b) pay me for the supplies, so that it's not a huge expense out of my pocket. I'm not in the position to be making cakes just to give away, for the most part. Then again, not many people are. icon_razz.gif (keep in mind that I rarely even asked for supplies money... folks offered.)

I honestly didn't know it wasn't legal to at least take cash for the supplies used. That makes me very sad, but I'll stop doing that, because I want to do this the right way, and not start out with bad marks against me. icon_sad.gif

(and because of this very thing, I've spent the entire day talking with my Dept of Ag person, finding out where I need to start, what I need to consider, and all that. Even found out about my deed restrictions and everything, since we want to close in the carport and make a kitchen out of that, with no access into the house, so the critters can't get in there. icon_smile.gif It's very frustrating, but I'm learning a lot. And yes, this is going to be expensive!!)

Thanks for the thread... now that I know what I can't do, it's easier to decide what TO do. icon_razz.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:55pm
post #32 of 237

It's not just our industry.

My father-in-law started his own auto repair garage about 60 years ago. Talk about expensive!!! Computer equipment that is mandatory simply because cars are just a rolling computer these days .... the lifts to put the cars on so you can work under them. The environment laws that require expense for conformance for proper disposal of oils and other car fluids. The insurance not just for his equipment, his building and the standard business insurances, but also insurance that covers your DVD player if someone breaks into his garage and steals it from your car.

yet he has to compete with Joe Backyard who works out of his home garage with no overhead, no insurance, no environmental fees and no landfills charges. As leahs said, the playing field isn't even. And that's partially why we have laws in place and licensing requirements.

Starting any business is hard .... food industry, any industry dealing with environmental issues, and others are practically all catch-22: you can't start it until you have a clientele and you can't get a clientele until you start a business.

Amberlicious, I disagree with you. I can't charge more just because I"m a business. Not when brides dispute my $3/serving by telling me, "well the lady at church only charges $1.50/serving!"

And yet there have been NUMEROUS threads in which CC'ers have lamented over the attitude of "well, you bake from home so you are SUPPOSE to be cheaper!" when the reality is a home baker's cost of ingredients is probably higher per unit than mine, simply because I can buy in volume. The balance to that is I'm paying 4-digit rent for my space and a loan payment for $45,000 worth of equipment.

This is a long disputed topic on here ...... let's not turn into an "us and them" crowd, K? icon_smile.gif

amberlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlicious Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:06pm
post #33 of 237

It's not that I don't WANT to be legal- I would love to be legal and have the playing field be even. I really would. I just wish that I lived in a state that allowed cottage industries- but dh needs to have a job there too. icon_wink.gif

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:12pm
post #34 of 237

Realistically, if you are *JUST* doing for friends and family - not referrals beyond that - no one is going to care if you're licensed or not.

It's the "beyond that" that is the problem.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 11:08pm
post #35 of 237
Quote:

I didn't do any cakes for order before becoming legal. I just did friends bdays, dinner parties, a few wedding cakes as gifts.. really never thought to charge.

I started my business with no clients whatsoever. Why is that crazy? If you've got something good to offer and conduct yourself as a legit business, the clients will come!

I just opened the same way. No clients, took my money, my certification, experience, education and passion.

I invested in myself and eighter I will make it or break it.

It would be nice if I could be one of those people sitting safely at home baking cakes in between soccer practice, dinner time and social engagements or be able to run into my kitchen at 3 am to finish a cake if I was baking from home.

I have insurance, marketing material, business phones and all that overhead, equipment and it's upkeep, a vehicle, oh yah my car is comercially insured too many crazy drivers down here.

The cost of my opening the door was unfreakingbelievable. Do you even THINK I don't get upset with someone's aunt sally selling cakes to Sally's friends? You betcha.

If Little Sally buys Auntie her ingredients so Auntie can make Sally her favorite chocolate cake, I don't give a radish, but when it becomes a business and Sally's friends are bringing Aunt Sally the ingredients I'm steaming.

Yet, there is nothing I can do about it, I don't even think it's worth my time reporting anyone as I've heard the Health Dept doesn't go onto private property.

Right now there is someone that just opened up a cupcake company 2 blocks from my house, in a very exclusive part of town and I know the township would so fry their butts for that.

It's a catch 22 for Legal bakers too.

A custom cake designer/baker doesn't really have the volume that a wholesale bakery has.

A wholesale bakery has a big turn over of product and they can afford automation and or workers.

Most custom cake shops have 1 person staff or maybe 1 and an assistant. Right now it's only me doing Duff like things ( where he can delegate the work, I cannot) on top of that I am also responsible for cleaning, maintaining and customer service.

Some days even when I haven't baked a cake I can't wait to go home. Someone at home can trow in a load of dishes along with their cake pans into the dishwasher if they have one.

Can rest, put their feet up when they are tired because they know they can take that break and resume a few hours later. To me, someone that is not using their cake decorating skills to support his or her family is just someone doing it for kicks and giggles and it's not fair to undersell me because by doing that they ARE taking the food off my table.

ok, off the box now. lol

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 11:16pm
post #36 of 237

Well first of all, I don't believe that most "hobbyists" are competing with bakeries. You have the ability to produce more cakes than a home baker because you have a bigger kitchen, bigger equipment, multiple ovens etc etc. I don't charge for my cakes, I was just stating that IF I rented a kitchen now it would cost a lot of $$ because I would have to build up a client base. I don't advertise, I don't do shows or go to bridal fairs. Most hobbyists don't. The ones that do are probably the exception, not the rule. As for me, I just ask that my costs be covered. I like to do cakes for fun. I have no interest in becoming legal and selling them. I just do them for family and some friends. Others have asked me, but I always decline. There is no need sarcasm or for this to become a heated discussion about legal vs. illegal. Believe me, I don't want to take business away from a bakery. That would take over my life and I enjoy being a SAHM! I do maybe one cake a week for practice or fun. If it's for someone else, they go to the store with me and buy my ingredients for me. I'm just saying that I think home-baking should be allowed. As long as the home kitchen is inspected and the home baker follows all the same rules as a commercial kitchen, I don't see what the big deal is...obviously this can be done successfully or it would outlawed in every state. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 11:39pm
post #37 of 237

I have no problem with homebakers who are legal and licensed and all that jazz.. that is what I am. I do have an issue with the homebaker who undersells themself and their competition and who does their "business" under the radar. I have no issue with you buying your mom ingredients to amke you a cake. I doubt the state would either.. she's your mom and it wouldn't be a big deal at all, but if your neighbors and your neighbors' friends start doing it they will have an issue with it.

I completely empathize with anyone who lives in a state that won't allow home kitchens. I just think that doing this and not being legal opens you and your family to lawsuits and that is no joke. If you aren't licensed you can't carry liability insurance and you have no protection should someone get ill from your product. It runs deeper than simply I am legal and you aren't and I am looking down on you.. that's not the case at all. There's just too much of a risk to do this and not be legal. Friends and family are different than Sally up the road who you don't know from a hole in the wall.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 11:54pm
post #38 of 237

I spent half a million dollars to open a bakery in a state that licenses home bakers. I can tell you with confidence that for the most part they can't or don't compete with me.

I tell customers every day " North Carolina is a state that licenses home bakers, so there are a lot of people who can make this cake for less than I will. Most of them use cake mix. Most of them use shortening based icing. Most of them freeze their cakes. I'm not willing to do any of that."

Business is all about defining yourself to the marketplace and finding your customers. I can tell you without reservation that the customer who grouches about price but ends up booking with you is going to be a bad customer. If they are unhappy about the price, then you have not done your job in building the value of your products.

Illegal is illegal, but lets be honest and acknowledge that there are some things that are illegal ( speeding, baking cakes and selling them) that just don't rise to the level "high crimes and misdemeanors" and don't merit get your panties all bunched up over.

If you are operating illegally you should know that your insurance will not cover your liability if someone sues you. That means if some kid is allergic to your cake mix, or you get some dodgey Chinese food product from Walmart, your butt is on the line, and it could cost you your home, your credit rating etc., but it's your choice.

indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:08am
post #39 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

Well first of all, I don't believe that most "hobbyists" are competing with bakeries.

With all due respect, you've got to be kidding. icon_eek.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

You have the ability to produce more cakes than a home baker because you have a bigger kitchen, bigger equipment, multiple ovens etc etc.

I might be able to produce 5 or 6 wedding cakes in my kitchen for the same day ... but I can't actually book 5 or 6 weddings because I can't be at 5 or 6 weddings on the same day at the same time. (I'm not a you-pick-it-up cake maker, nor am I a drop-n-run cake maker .... I am at 98% of my weddings, running the buffet and cutting the cake.)

The argument is moot because if YOU rented a kitchen, you'd also have a bigger kitchen, bigger equipment, multiple ovens and the unit cost of renting the kitchen would be drastically reduced. YOu would also have the "ability" to produce more, ergo reducing your unit cost.

So comparing your volume today at home to the potential "ability" to produce more in a larger kitchen is exactly the argument you should be making to yourself to get out there and rent that kitchen. You go, girl!! thumbs_up.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:12am
post #40 of 237

I suppose this is just a stupid comment, but could one legally be hired to bake a cake in the client's home. You bring the tools, and they provide the space. You would set ip shop in their kitchen and once you were on the clock you would either go out and buy the ingredients or give them the list ahead of time. Or sell it to them for specialized stuff like pre-made fondant or gumpaste flowers. As long as their kitchen was ok (clean, usable i.e. the oven worked and there was enough work space) you might be able to make it work. The cooling period for a cake would be tricky, but maybe bake one day decorate the second.

OK, I told you it was a dumb idea.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:38am
post #41 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheButterWench

It would be nice if I could be one of those people sitting safely at home baking cakes in between soccer practice, dinner time and social engagements or be able to run into my kitchen at 3 am to finish a cake if I was baking from home.

I have insurance, marketing material, business phones and all that overhead, equipment and it's upkeep, a vehicle, oh yah my car is comercially insured too many crazy drivers down here.

The cost of my opening the door was unfreakingbelievable. Do you even THINK I don't get upset with someone's aunt sally selling cakes to Sally's friends? You betcha.

If Little Sally buys Auntie her ingredients so Auntie can make Sally her favorite chocolate cake, I don't give a radish, but when it becomes a business and Sally's friends are bringing Aunt Sally the ingredients I'm steaming.

Yet, there is nothing I can do about it, I don't even think it's worth my time reporting anyone as I've heard the Health Dept doesn't go onto private property.

Right now there is someone that just opened up a cupcake company 2 blocks from my house, in a very exclusive part of town and I know the township would so fry their butts for that.

It's a catch 22 for Legal bakers too.

A custom cake designer/baker doesn't really have the volume that a wholesale bakery has.

A wholesale bakery has a big turn over of product and they can afford automation and or workers.

Most custom cake shops have 1 person staff or maybe 1 and an assistant. Right now it's only me doing Duff like things ( where he can delegate the work, I cannot) on top of that I am also responsible for cleaning, maintaining and customer service.

Some days even when I haven't baked a cake I can't wait to go home. Someone at home can trow in a load of dishes along with their cake pans into the dishwasher if they have one.

Can rest, put their feet up when they are tired because they know they can take that break and resume a few hours later. To me, someone that is not using their cake decorating skills to support his or her family is just someone doing it for kicks and giggles and it's not fair to undersell me because by doing that they ARE taking the food off my table.

ok, off the box now. lol

I'm sorry, but many of us are completely licensed and insured home bakers (some who spent a lot of $$) who work our butts off and this post was completely untrue.

I do make a living as a home baker -- it is so not a hobby. I don't "bake between soccer practice" or "have time to put my feet up in between cakes." I have days where I may bake from 5 a.m. when DH leaves for work until 9, 10, 11 pm or even midnight or later - and there is no laundry getting done in between and as far as my kids/DH are concerned they know that I am working and to leave me alone. This misconception is so true of many people who do different jobs from home.

My marketing material, adversiting, etc., is far superior to the only "storefront" bakery in town. I spent tons of cash on logo design, marketing, etc. I also pay rent for a retail location in a co-op where I sell off-the-shelf items and people pick up their orders.

Not all home bakers use mixes and crisco icing. Lots of us are baking darn good cakes and turning out quality products from licensed home kitchens.

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:00am
post #42 of 237

I am one of those home bakers, in Ohio, a Cottage Food State. I have read the rules, spent money on getting my name "taken" with the state, etc etc. My boyfriend is even finding a new home for his dog so I can pass a home inspection and sell more. I spend most nights online, getting my name out there and doing orders. I dream cakes and cookies. I have two small children who are here with me 24/7. It doesnt make me any less of a baker or less of a businesswoman.

I know I might never get the stature of some of the cake shoppes around town, but ya know what? That is fine. As long as the people who are receiving my cakes are happy, I am happy.

Life isnt fair. You have to deal with what you have. Thats all you can do. Much love to all the home bakers and owners/participants of bakeries out there!

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:02am
post #43 of 237

I never intended to do anything illegal. I made a few birthday cakes as GIFTS. They sent me a thank you card with cash in it. What do you do about that?

southerncake Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:04am
post #44 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by smab109

I am one of those home bakers, in Ohio, a Cottage Food State. I have read the rules, spent money on getting my name "taken" with the state, etc etc. My boyfriend is even finding a new home for his dog so I can pass a home inspection and sell more. I spend most nights online, getting my name out there and doing orders. I dream cakes and cookies. I have two small children who are here with me 24/7. It doesnt make me any less of a baker or less of a businesswoman.

I know I might never get the stature of some of the cake shoppes around town, but ya know what? That is fine. As long as the people who are receiving my cakes are happy, I am happy.

Life isnt fair. You have to deal with what you have. Thats all you can do. Much love to all the home bakers and owners/participants of bakeries out there!

Good for you -- and you can do it! I remember the day years ago when I had to watch my sweet little dog leave with the person that I had to give her away to, but I knew that I had to make that sacrifice in order to be legal! We all may have different paths, but hopefully success is in all of our futures!

womanzano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
womanzano Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:08am
post #45 of 237

I see both sides of the story. I understand the decorator doing it as a hobby and the businesswoman (or man as the case may be icon_lol.gif ). I am a hobbyist. I do cakes for friends and family but I think in my mind I feel like the people that I bake for would not really buy a custom cake from a real bakery. If I didn't make them a cake, they would just go down to Wal-Mart or the local grocery store and get a sheet cake for $15.00.

That being said, my cakes are usually gifts and I've turned down some weddings so that I'm not serving cake to the public. I know that doesn't make it right (by legal standards) but I LOVE cake! I'm not giving it up anytime soon! icon_biggrin.gif

drowsyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowsyrn Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:12am
post #46 of 237
Quote:

I didn't do any cakes for order before becoming legal. I just did friends bdays, dinner parties, a few wedding cakes as gifts.. really never thought to charge.

I started my business with no clients whatsoever. Why is that crazy? If you've got something good to offer and conduct yourself as a legit business, the clients will come!

Same here FlowerGirl, I opened my shop on December 2. Each month I have doubled my business. Every cake that goes out the door brings in more customers and phone calls. I never did one cake in the state I live in now and where I opened my business. I moved here one year ago (Air Force husband), and knew this city needed a cake shop. No one even knew my name. I was totally new to the area.

If you offer a quality product at a fair price...the customers will come. I think they also like the fact that it is a shop that has been through all the inspections and is followed by the state. That makes people feel good about the person they are doing business with.

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:05am
post #47 of 237

Well, did you know in my state, it's illegal to walk backwards and eat a hamburgar? Also it's illegal to own a red bathtub and is a 30.00 fine to say the 'G..D...' curse word in public? These aren't noramlly challenged these days obviously because tmes have changed so much but they are still 'on the books'. The fact that someone could be fined for accepting money to cover cost from a relative while making their kid a cake belongs in this 'law' category. Anyways, Many restraunt kitchens are hazardous as we have all seen those 'hidden camera' shows. Still these businesses are long standing well known huge corporations and still going strong. It goes to show that the 'licensing requirements and laws aren't necessarily going to protect the consumer. Their business practice and our expectations of their services aren't always followed just because the paper work has been done. To pay and sign on the dotted line doesn't prove that the goods are going to be 'good'. All licesnsed kitchens and or cake decorators aren't necessarily 'ethical'. I'm sure most are, especially after investing so much but It all comes down to the individual's morals. Many 'unlicensed' people are so clean and careful because they appreciate their customer and take pride in their work and are respectable in general. They will use the best ingredients and put TLC into their work. Bottom line, I for one feel the laws should be the same across the board. If you can have a home bakery in some of the states, then everyone should have the option. I also feel that the cost and requirements are too much for many people and they are not all able to meet the criteria. Not that they 'wouldn't' if they could, but simply can't. Some people weren't born with the resources available in their lives to make this dream come true. Some can't spend 50,000 on a 'chance'. I don't think anyone should 'have' to. I think that we should be taxed at a set percentage of our earnings. Insurance should be available to all and charge accordingly. Insurance costs for example based on tenure and record of history. Higher cost for the new business and lesser cost for good record proven. Discounts for the long standing 'no incidents' business. There are so many different points of views here and I can understand how everyone here feels. But I do think that the cost and requirements are pretty extreme for most and cost incurred to get 'legal' should be based on revenue proven, not revenue estimated. Image

indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:40am
post #48 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaaaann

Some people weren't born with the resources available in their lives to make this dream come true. Some can't spend 50,000 on a 'chance'.

I wasn't going to go here, but I cannot let that statement stand.

That's pretty over-simplistic, isn't it? I sure as heck wasn't born with a silver spoon in MY mouth. We were the poor kids in school. we had perfect attendance because that's where the food was. No one handed me anything in life .. it's all been earned.

Everything we do in life is "a chance". No guarantees .... to ANYONE.

I understand the frustrating of a home baker who wants to move forward but doesnt' have the funds to do so. Been there. But that frustration can apply to ANY business venture, not just caking. It takes money to start 99% of businesses.

But I AM offended when people look at what has taken me 25 YEARS to achieve .... by putting everything I own and more at risk to get here ..... and just assume that I have big bucks just laying around and that I just woke up one day, broke my open piggy bank and opened a shop.

It really ticks me off when people imply that I (and any other person who opens a business - cake or otherwise) was just handed everything and that I (and others like me) were "born" with the resources and the money was no problem. It ticks me off that my perserverance, hard work, and my personal drive & dedication just doesnt' factor into anything that I've accomplished.

No.....it MUST be that I'm just some bored little rich wife who pulled $75,000 out of a certain part of her body and decided to rent a retail space one day.

Anyone who thinks business owners become business owners because they were born with the resources and/or just have an extra $50,000 laying around that they can "afford" to take "a chance" with ...... if they think that's the ONLY way to open a business, then I'd say that person has no idea how to start and run a business.

And by the way, I also give back... by helping, in any way I can, anyone who is interesting in taking their business to the next level, whether it e by sharing my experiences, sharing copies of my biz plan, or offering to share my kitchen space.

I have never publicly backed out of a thread before, but I am out of this one. I will not sit here and read comments that challenge my hard work and dedication to my passion and my accomplishments, or the hard work of others who have come before me and who will come after me, when they proudly hang their sign over their doorway.

I will not have all of that diminished by someone who thinks I was "born with it" or that I have enough money that it's ok for me to "risk" $50,000 (and more).

edited for a typo

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:57am
post #49 of 237

Here here Debi.. no one has handed me anything either. I am a simple, but legal, homebaker with a dream and I hope to someday be as lucky as you have been. If you aren't willing to assume the risk of doing something right.. why do it?

southerncake Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:07am
post #50 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

And by the way, I also give back... by helping, in any way I can, anyone who is interesting in taking their business to the next level, whether it e by sharing my experiences, sharing copies of my biz plan, or offering to share my kitchen space.

And Debi really does mean this. A while back when we were looking into expanding our business (which we did and still kept the kitchen home-based), I PM'd Debi with some questions. She sent back probably three or four pages of info (literally!). She answered every single question I had and passed along much more information that I hadn't even thought about asking for!

I am very happy with the setup I have now. I couldn't be happier with it any other way, but unfortunately, not everyone has the opportunities I do because of where they live. If NC didn't have a home processor allowance, it would have probably taken me many, many, many years to get where I am now.

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:10am
post #51 of 237

Instead of us kvetching about who is better than who - why don't we try to reform the existing cottage industries in our states? Especially with the economy the way it is maybe it is a good time to allow more home businesses. There is no reason why it shouldn't be allowed if a proper inspection is done. If you pass inspection - voila a green light to bake. Where should we start?

And for those of you who have a store front - you will always do more business than the home baker. I would rather do custom orders, than just bake a bunch of cakes and cookies and hope someone buys them before they go stale.

CharmingConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingConfections Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:11am
post #52 of 237

Wow, I am sorry my thread has gotten so out of control! I didn't mean to upset anyone. I just want to be clear on the laws.
I personally went yesterday and spoke with the one shop in our town that does some wedding cakes, she is nationally known for her pies, and is going to be featured on the Food Network. I asked her what I should do to become legal and any advice she had for me. I told her I decorate Fondant cakes. She told me flat out - if she were me she wouldn't get legal. That I should fly under the radar as long as I can. That if I am caught they would just make me comply. She then asked for me to make some business cards she could hand out because she doesn't make fondant cakes and people call and ask her. She didn't seem worried that I would take any business from her at all, and since there isn't another bakery or cake shop (besides the local grocery store where the cake decorator there also told me she wants to refer ALL her wedding cakes out to me now! that she just doesn't have the time!) I don't think I am taking business from anyone thankfully. I think that there is great potential here for me because of this, and when I become legal I will have business poping up everywhere!
I respect everyone here who is doing this legally and would not want to diminish their hard work in any way. I also think that it should be legal to bake cakes at home as previous posters have said however as long as that home met the same health standards as the commercial kitchens.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:18am
post #53 of 237

I read this mainly because I saw Debi had the last post at the time... I follow all of Debi's postings if I can because she has so much wisdom to share.

I can say for a fact Debi has been nothing but helpful to me since I came here. She didn't know me from anyone, I PM'ed her one day, we not talk thru emails, and she helps me with everything and anything I need from finishing touches on a cake, to my first wedding cake, now onto my 2nd wedding cake, and had even mentioned coming all the way to Maryland to assist with my very own wedding and reception but cannot due to other plans.

Debi has never once acted in any way like she was "rich" or well to do or better then myself and has never once made me feel bad about the way I was raised. She has always been upfront and open with me about her life before cakes and has shared the growth of her business with me every step of the way.

I think those who are making assumptions need to take a step back and look at what it has cost for these people to get where they are today. Even those who are still home bakers but are legally able to do so like myself. We lose time with our families, spouses, and children, we miss out on outings, parties, dinners, etc. because "we've got a cake due" and we put everything else on hold and our houses look like shit because we can't walk away from that cake order to wash the clothes or vacumm the living room or pick up the toys until the cake is done and we have a free minute to tend to other things... I think everyone just needs to step back and focus on what's really important here.

drowsyrn Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:22am
post #54 of 237

If I had to put $50,000 into a business, I would never have a business!

To make a very long story short...

I spent $11,000 to get my shop up and running. It is 800 sq ft and I think it is the prettiest place ever! icon_biggrin.gif

Now the kicker! I got back over $5000 of that on my income tax return! So overall, I spent about $6000 to get it going. I have never had a business before and learned as I went along. It was a challenge but a very rewarding one. I keep hearing these huge amounts of money some think that it takes and I would not have thought twice about doing this if I would have believed that.

I like many others came from NOTHING. My sisters and I walked to school in the snow in Michigan with old socks on our hands because my parents could not afford mittens for us. I then married an A1C in the AF. We both worked and clawed our way to where we are now. He is a Chief in the AF and I am an RN, who just opened a cake shop...and it can be done WAY under $50,000.

OT
(Ohmygoodies, I lived in Easton, MD for five years and loved it there!)

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:23am
post #55 of 237

joaaaan - I just wanted to say that I do understand where you're coming from. I'm in Oklahoma too and in a very rural area. There's just no way I could ever in my lifetime afford to meet the requirements in this state. And I absolutely could not expect that people here would pay the prices I'd have to charge to break even month to month. When you live in a town of 300 people there are no opportunities to rent kitchen space without driving 20-40 miles to get there. Now when we pay $3-$4 a gallon for gas there goes the money you save by renting! It's ridiculous. Especially ridiculous is the fact that we live in one of the lowest income states and our regulations mean spending tens of thousands dollars to just stick your neck out there. And saying that not all of us have those funds available to take that risk does not, to me, equal calling people rich or spoiled, or say they have money just lying around. For me it means I can't risk everything I own and more, as Debi said she did, because if the risk didn't pay off, I wouldn't be able to put food on the table...or have a house to put the darned table in anyway.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:34am
post #56 of 237

OMG Debi you made me laugh with your reply.

No one handed me anything eighter it took me years of not only working but going to school, working 15 hour days taking abuse from big headed chefs that didn't have 1/2 the talent.

To have people hire me because they believed in me and have crazy jealousy in kitchens.

I've been working since the age of 12!

I saved every single dime I could for the past 4 years, I busted my butt in school to get merit scholarships that I wouldn't have to pay back if I kept an 3.5 average and I sacrificed a great deal to put the money away.

My family supported me in my endevour, my hubby who has been out of work for the past 6 months and just found a job to my son who realized that his stay at home momma had to do this for the family.

I too come from a very poor family where my mom would wrap things that we owned to bring to family diners so we could eat and she wouldn't be made to feel like we were taking charity.

No one handed me anything that I didn't scrimp, save or scratched for and I'm sorry but I think that people have this issue backwards.

Staying safely at home, not taking any chances make me laugh, staying home is safe and secure, not making sacrifices is also expecting things to be easily gotten.

It's thanks to US out there in the front lines that have to charge bigger money so we can make a profit help the home bakers make that extra money to build that nice cash cushion or to spend on extra cake toys or classes or whatever they want to spend it on even if it IS supporting a family.

I've only been open since January and yes, things are very hard right now, but I believe in my passion and will be taken kicking and screaming away from my dream.

Am I broke right now? You betcha, broke enough that I can't even buy a 45.00 bucket of fondant for the 2 cakes I have this week. I have to make it, kneading it until my upper arms cramp up because I had to dip into my last financial reserves to get my permits paid and to get some extra paperwork done so I can sell sandwiches from the shop.

and I upset? depressed? nope, just another challenge I have to surpass at the moment.

Would I like to work from home? If I could I would, but knowing I can't I won't. I will not teach my son that it's ok to bend the laws, I will not give up my pet.

I read someplace someone's response that "Everyone does it" or that we are all hypocrites because we have bent the law sometime in our life be it driving too fast or whatever.

I can proudly say that I live an ethical life. As ethical as I possibly can. If I break the law it is by total ignorance and when I find out my mistake I try to rectify it asap.

I am by no means perfect. I have my own personal issues and demons to deal with, but I'm a leader not a follower and I will NOT DO IT just because EVERYONE else is doing it.

No sir, not for this chick. and I'm sorry my words may have offended but remember we ALL have our reasons to do what we do.

and to me, it doesn't matter how many cakes you do, or how talented you are or the thousands that you can get for one of your cakes. If you bake at home for money and you're not supposed to, then to me, this is just your hobby not your business don't get pissy with me because I had the guts to put my money where my mouth is.

Ok, off the box now.

PS: I DO admire the talent pool that is Cake Central. I appreciate the art and the work we all put into our cakes but please don't be thinking that I have some cushy job or a secret genie that handed me the money I needed to open my shop. I may never make enough to retire and buy a big yatch or become world renown, but I'm happy in my own little world and that's all that matters to me.

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:25am
post #57 of 237

I wanted to point out that I am not trying to step on any toes here. I can see everyone's point of view. I can side with the 'struggling' decorator as well as the 'achieved' decorator. I am not implying that successful business owners are only pulling money from 'certain body parts' as far as their 'resources' go. I didn't mean money to be the only 'resource' in reference. Resources to me also mean having family members or spouse who will support you like some here on CC have. I have read posts about crafty husbands that jump in and build support structures, deliver cakes, watch the kids and one case in particular, a husband built an entire room onto the house for her decorating pleasure. It helps and is motivating to have support from someone even down to just lending an ear and offering a back rub or a hug to relieve some of the stress that's sometimes encountered. I guess that's a little cheesy but some people thrive off that stuff. Some people don't have a house but have an apartment and cant meet building requirements. Maybe the decorator is a struggling single parent. Some may have a 40 hr job that they can't risk losing in case the decorating venture doesn't prove successful so can't jump in with both feet all at once. This would be the type of person that wants to do 1 or 2 cakes a week to make a little extra money to get by..and those that live paycheck to paycheck and are 'credit challenged' and unable to get a loan of that size. To a lot of people, hind sight is 20/20 and at a point now where they realize are a day late and a dollar short and can't seem to make that sacrifice. A successful business person has to have 'business sense'. A creative mind and a business mind are 2 totally different things.
Kudos to those who are blessed with both skills. I know many people who have worked very hard to become successful in other fields. I've known those that have crashed and burned. It usually is not easy I'm aware. There are those tho, that can benefit from having a spouse with a wonderful job who make it possible for the other to be a stay at home wife and or mother and take advantage of that time to try and build their own business and those that were born into money as well. I don't disrespect either side. And Indydebi, I know that you are a well respected person here on CC and many people come to you for advice and such..I probably have too because you're very knowledgeable and very helpful and so I don't doubt at all that your kindness and assistance goes beyond these threads on CC. I was only sharing my opinion..right or wrong, it's just how I felt so I put in my 2 cents. Image

amberlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlicious Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:44am
post #58 of 237

Indydebi- I just want to say that I highly respect you and I'm sorry your feelings have been hurt. I'm not around CC as much as I'd like- but you've stood out to me as a very kind, generous and helpful person. I never meant to start a us vs them fight about this- I really want to understand- but at the same time I've thought long and hard about what I need to do and I'm doing it.

Wow- this is obviously a touchy subject. It's like asking if you should breastfeed or bottle feed on a mommy board (don't answer that).

So hypothetically- my sister gets married. I provide the cake and dessert buffet for 500. I have receipts for everything and my mom reimburses me just for the cost of ingredients- technically even though it's for my sister- but because I'm feeding the public I'm not legal?

I'm also interested in how to get the laws changed. Who would you petition? The health department? The state legislature? Where would you start?

drowsyrn Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:11am
post #59 of 237

Another thing to think about is if you have a Home Owner's Association in the development where you live. Mine would not allow a business of any type to be run out of the house. icon_mad.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:49am
post #60 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlicious

I'm also interested in how to get the laws changed. Who would you petition? The health department? The state legislature? Where would you start?

Laws must be changed through your state representatives and senators. Here is a thread from last year where some of us tried (unsuccessfully) to get something going in Texas. In that thread I posted my sample letter that I sent to my senator and rep:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=46933&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%