It All Went Wrong - Rant And Vent... Long

Decorating By bwonderful Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 9:45pm by ShopGrl1128

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:25am
post #1 of 19

I was working on a cake tonight for a baby shower tomorrow. I was not looking forward to this cake. It's for a friend who's having her first baby but I am a little perturbed with her for houding me about coming to her shower and then she called and ask me to do her cake. This was a week ago and the shower is today (saturday) at 3. I do all the babyshower cakes for my church, I have an agreement with them, but I do them for next to nothing. Really it only covers supplies. So I know they told her in advance that I would do it but she waited until the last minute and when I told her the price, then she told me that she was going to cancel her order at Kroger's and wanted me to do it. She doesn't even pay for it though, the church will pay me. So I started out not looking forward to the cake.

I bake the cake, it's WASC with strawberry filling and It's all going great. I leveled the cake and thought I would be done quickly. Then I tried to make the icing.. I don't know if it's the high humidity here today or what but it was a disaster. First it was gritty, then it just had million air pockets in it. My husband even came downstairs to get something at one point and commented on how dry it looked (thanks sweetie). I finally get it to a consistancy that I could put it on the cake and figured I would just smooth it with the VIVA method once it hardened. The icing never set. I used the same crusting recipe I always use. nothing. So I'm trying to smoothe it over one last time and I go to turn the cake but my hand slips off the board and into the cake.....Luckily I was able to fix it but now there's piping down all the corners so that I could hide that one. I finally get the rest of the cake put together and start picking up when I remember that they were very specific that she wanted butterflies on the cake and I forgot to make any... So I have to sit down and make butterflies. The cake is in the fridge but the back left corner is drooping for some reasonn who knows. I also made a baby figurine for the top out of fondant that my DH referred to as the linebacker because she has extremely wide shoulders. (he's pure sugar)

Good thing it's not a cake that I will actually make any profit off of it. I know it probably looks better than what I see but I am really fustrated. I'm definately going to be sneeking out of that babyshower early. I'll post a picture later.

18 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:48am
post #2 of 19

{{{{{{{{{{{hugssssss}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

oliveoyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliveoyle Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 19

I'm so sorry that this happened to you .

as for the buttercream not crusting I had that happen to me last weekend never did figure out why icon_confused.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwonderful

but she waited until the last minute and when I told her the price, then she told me that she was going to cancel her order at Kroger's and wanted me to do it. She doesn't even pay for it though,

I had an aunt try this with me once. I was going to do a cake for my aunt's granddaughter (my cousin) but I had a scheduling conflict come up and I told them MONTHS in advance I couldnt' do the cake. My aunt tried to schmooze me into by trying the "but she wants YOU to do it!", making it sound like such a COMPLIMENT and I should just swoon with the adoration that was being bestowed on me .... when I knew that what she meant was "But she so wants to get a free cake!"

She waited until the last minute, was very willing to have a Kroger cake, she's not even paying for it, and she worked it so the people paying for it are only paying barely more than cost. I wouldn't worry too much about what it looks like.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 19

just out of curiosity, why are you making cakes at a loss??
is it to get your name out?

bwonderful Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 19

I'm not taking a loss, I'm just not making a profit. I only do it for my church because they give so much back to me. We have a great church that we love and I could never ask to recieve a profit from them. I'm not trying to get my name out here because we'll be moving 5 hours away in about 3 months.

I delivered the cake and they loved it. However this morning I woke up to realize that I had wrapped the cake board in wrapping paper and didn't cover it with contact paper so all the grease from the icing soaked into the paper and looked like that cake had pit stains. I get it out of the fridge to fix it and by some freak accident, one of the drawers that hang on the side of our fridge breaks and falls on the corner of the cake while I'm pulling it out. I'm not joking. Luckily it hit the bad droopy corner. I quickly fixed it, covered the edges of the board with some vinyl lacey fabric I had and ran out the door to the shower. I just dropped the cake off and left, I didn't stay. They really did love it and gave me a small tip. So I'm happy overall but wish it would have gone smoother. I guess every cake can't be your perfect vision...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 19

I get it out of the fridge to fix it and by some freak accident, one of the drawers that hang on the side of our fridge breaks and falls on the corner of the cake while I'm pulling it out.

I'm sorry, but when I read this after everything else that had happened to you I laughed really hard..This cake was cursed, but at least they really liked it. I think that sometimes when I make a cake I'm not interested in, or feel p.o.'d about or something, the cake is like a magnet for my negative thoughts and it turns into a disaster cake like this one was for you. We've all been there...the next one will be better, don't worry!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 19

if you let people walk all over you, they will. if you can't do a cake at the time that they specify, tell them. we are cake decorators not magicians.
icon_wink.gif

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 19

Some cakes just don't want to be made. This sounds like one of them. Sorry about your frustration though. *hugs*

bwonderful Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:41am
post #10 of 19

So here's the finished cake... I'm happy with how it turned out. The baby does have big shoulders and the top isn't totally flat but It's my first sheet cake so I'm happy with it. It's really tall for a sheet cake though.
LL

lindy01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindy01 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:56am
post #11 of 19

hey, dont worry i made a cake last year and every thing i did didnt go right, i really hated it, it was for my brother in laws grandma and thy insisted on lots of things, i founf out that they actually charged things on it after i dropped if off to them!!
but your cake looks pretty good, i like the roses and butterfly's

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:04am
post #12 of 19

adorable!! so pretty!!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:05am
post #13 of 19

I hate those days where everything under the sun goes wrong! The cake gods are against you those days! (although I did make a topsy turvy cake that I swear God held together b/c it fell apart at 2 AM and I had to smush it back together with icing and travel with it!).

I think the cake looks beautiful. It's a lovely design. The baby's shoulders are a little wide - but maybe it's a surprise and it'll turn out to be a boy baby! LOL! Or maybe it's a little girl who's going to be a swimmer (they have big shoulders) icon_smile.gif Hopefully the shoulders will stay small during the delivery - I'd hate for her to have to push out a really wide-shouldered baby! icon_smile.gif

(hope you know I'm joking with all of this and just trying to make you laugh - the cake is lovely). icon_smile.gif

gucci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gucci Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 4:54am
post #14 of 19

First of all, bwonderful, I think your cake is adorable: ) I especially love your flowers and butterflies. Also, I have two questions: What does WASC stand for, and what is Kroger's cakes that everyone mentions?

bwonderful Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 5:02am
post #15 of 19

ImArtsy, dont worry... she's already planning her epidural now so she'll have no problem with those wide shoulders icon_lol.gif

Kroger's is a grocery store here in the south and WASC stands for White Almond Sour cream cake... very good stuff... especially with any type of fruit filling... in my own opinion

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 5:17am
post #16 of 19

I'm so sorry to hear about all the problems you had with this cake. I know how it goes sometimes. I think everyone on this board has had an experience like this at least once.

Well at least it's over with now and going by the photo, I'd never have guessed how badly this cake went. It turned out really pretty and the baby is very cute! You fixed it so well. Yes, that upper left corner looks a little lower, but it certainly doesn't look bad. Great save!

dannique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dannique Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:05am
post #17 of 19

for all the dramas you had I think it turned out lovely!! I think it's a very pretty cake. I love when people ask you to do cake at last minute!!

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 12:47am
post #18 of 19

I love the "freak accident" part. I know it was stressful to you but I was laughing so hard b/c I can see something like that happening to me. I thought the cake looked great!

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:45pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by imartsy

.... The baby's shoulders are a little wide - but maybe it's a surprise and it'll turn out to be a boy baby! LOL! Or maybe it's a little girl who's going to be a swimmer (they have big shoulders) icon_smile.gif Hopefully the shoulders will stay small during the delivery - I'd hate for her to have to push out a really wide-shouldered baby! icon_smile.gif

(hope you know I'm joking with all of this and just trying to make you laugh - the cake is lovely). icon_smile.gif

LMAO!!!!
This is too funny....

After so much aggravation I think the cake came out great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%