Omg I Accidentally Made The Best Cake Ever....need Feedback!

Baking By jojobear1998 Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 11:46pm by gottabakenow

bluebuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluebuns Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:53pm
post #31 of 44

I have been looking all over for a cake recipe using Dream Whip. My sister always talks about a "Dream Whip Cake" that a neighbor used to make and I had thought to make it for her for her birthday. I think that the recipe provided is a little too big, though. Has anyone tried to make it on a smaller scale?
And how would you make an icing using Dream Whip?

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:04am
post #32 of 44

I decided to try this recipe this evening. Of course I needed to make it smaller as this wasn't for any occasion (and I'm trying to lose weight), so I basically halved the recipe. This is what I wrote down and followed:

1 box of cake mix (I used DH Moist Deluxe Classic Yellow)
4 eggs
1 pkg of Dream Whip
1 pkg of pudding (I used vanilla instant sugar-free/fat-free - that's what I had in my cabinet)
1 c cold water (I later changed this to 1-1/3 c. I'll explain later)
1/3 c oil (I substituted applesauce as I usually do for oil - 1/3 c)

So I made the batter following this recipe and while it was mixing I was looking at the Dream Whip box and noticed a recipe on the back of the box for 'Dream Cake'. The recipe says to use 1 pkg of cake mix (any flavor); 1 envelope of Dream Whip; 4 eggs and 1 c cold water. Hmmm, sounds familiar, so I checked the box for the mix and the amount of water was 1-1/3 cups. Since I added the pudding, too, I figured it would be best to add a bit more liquid which is why I added the 1/3 cup of extra water. So the only real difference between this recipe and Dream Whip's is the box of pudding.

As for the results, the cupcakes were definitely delicious and pretty moist, but not as 'outrageous' as I expected. Yes, I'll probably make them again, but maybe for something where adults and kids are mixed and I don't want to bake from scratch for kids.

Tomorrow I will fill the remaining cupcakes with lemon curd, most likely, and then use them to probably make a ccc.

Sorry I wasn't more impressed with the results. I don't mean to burst any bubbles - they definitely were good (my DH and 9 year old DD said they were good, too), just not as good as I was anticipating. Also, since the recipe is basically off the box of Dream Whip and doubled, that might be a small problem too.

Thanks for sharing it, jojobear1998.

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:09pm
post #33 of 44

Sugar_Plum_Fairy,

don't you perhaps think the sugarless/fat free pudding had something to do with the outcome of the cupcakes.?
Sometimes these sugarless items tend to have a bit of an after taste to it, which I feel could possibly affect the taste of an item.

Don't quote me on that, just asking your opinion!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:26pm
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmaine49

Sugar_Plum_Fairy,

don't you perhaps think the sugarless/fat free pudding had something to do with the outcome of the cupcakes.?
Sometimes these sugarless items tend to have a bit of an after taste to it, which I feel could possibly affect the taste of an item.

Don't quote me on that, just asking your opinion!

It's possible. I'm definitely no 'chemist' or scientist, especially when it comes to baking. I just follow a recipe and decide if I like it or not and see what others think as well.

edited to add: Oh, I forgot to mention that I got 29 cupcakes out of this!
Why not give it a try yourself and see what you think. I'm only one person reporting my results, but as has been seen many times on this board, tastes vary widely. Happy Guinea Pigging! icon_lol.gif

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:07pm
post #35 of 44

I am giving this cake a try tonight.

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:13pm
post #36 of 44

i've always use a package of dream whip in my cake mixes,no matter what flavor or if im adding pudding to the mix or not.this is something we learned from our wilton instructor when we took the classes.you put the dream whip in the cake mix dry the add all other ingredients and beat for 4 minutes.made the cakes fluffier. but we did use milk instead of water in the ingredients.

peanut123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut123 Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:23am
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Quote:

I'm definitely no 'chemist' or scientist, especially when it comes to baking.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy,
You are a âchemistââ¦because baking cakes is chemistry. You are also not afraid to run experiments and report your results for peer review and challenge. icon_smile.gif

â¦more on Dream Whip:
The addition of Dream Whip will make almost any cake easier to stack, carve, slice, and serve.

Dream Whip is loaded with emulsifiers and thickening agents that make the cake denser, while retaining a soft texture.

Dream Whip does bring a slight âchemicalâ taste to the batter since it contains the âkitchen sinkâ of emulsifiers and thickening agents;

modified cornstarch,
propylene glycol monostearate,
sodium caseinate,
cellulose gel,
cellulose gum,
hydroxypropyl methylcellulose,
acetylated monoglycerides,
monoglycerides, and
diglycerides.

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:03pm
post #38 of 44

Really I'm going to try to type this with the lightest voice I can because I am not trying to be nasty.

However, the recipe was not followed the way it was written so it is going to give a different result and it may or may not be as good as the OP says.

Not to long ago a member had a recipe pulled for the same reason. People were saying the recipe was not that great and when asked what they did, they substituted things all over the place and were upset or disappointed with the result.

It's just funny to me, make it the way it is written not with all of the substitutions and it may turn out to be what the OP(s) was excited to share about.

ssl

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:17pm
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladivacrj

Really I'm going to try to type this with the lightest voice I can because I am not trying to be nasty.

However, the recipe was not followed the way it was written so it is going to give a different result and it may or may not be as good as the OP says.

Not to long ago a member had a recipe pulled for the same reason. People were saying the recipe was not that great and when asked what they did, they substituted things all over the place and were upset or disappointed with the result.

It's just funny to me, make it the way it is written not with all of the substitutions and it may turn out to be what the OP(s) was excited to share about.

ssl

I agree with you, but I used what I had (which is what I usually use). If it doesn't work that way, then it's probably a recipe I'm not likely to use. All the puddings in my house are sugar-free (I'm prone to being a diabetic and had gestational diabetes at least twice, so that's what I use when I make pudding and I've substitued applesauce for oil for years. My husband didn't even realize until about a year and a half ago or so).

I'm definitely in no way trying to argue or pick a fight, but that is how I did it and it just didn't impress me much. I don't want to rain on OP's parade, but those were my results. I just don't think the pudding would make that much of a difference (the applesauce, noone has ever noticed). I could be wrong and maybe I'll buy some other pudding and try it sometime if I'm having company or something, but that's my experience as of this writing. icon_smile.gif

waywordz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waywordz Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:33pm
post #40 of 44

This dream whip recipe is the one my cake instructor shared with us the first night of our class. She said she got it from one of her students.
Dream Whip Cake
1 small box INSTANT pudding mix (Same flavor as cake or vanilla/french vanilla. Unmade.)
1 box cake mix (NOT Duncan Hines*) any flavor
*If you beat Duncan Hines for 4 minutes it comes out flat.
1 envelope dream whip (Powder whip topping mix. Unmade.)
4 Eggs
1 1/2 tsp. butter extract
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
Put all ingredients in large mixing bowl. Mix all liquids in a measuring cup and slowly pour into the mixing bowl set at low speed turning off mixer and scraping down bowl once or twice to blend ingredients. Then turn speed to medium and beat for 4 minutes. You may overbeat this cake but, don't underbeat. Underbeating will cause cake to fall after removing from oven.
Bake in preheated 325' oven for approximately an hour. To check for doneness touch center of cake lightly, cake should spring back if it is done. If indentation remains, continue baking for additional 5 or 10 minutes.
*Using store brands not name brands seem to work best.
Our instructor told us that this cake holds up well for decorating.

Note: I was told that now that they add pudding does not turn out as well. I have had some problems with it not being as high as it used to be. I was told by another instructor that there was a "secret" recipe printed on the iside of the Duncan Hines box. But, I haven't been able to find it lately in any of their cakes I buy.
And I use sugarfree instant pudding for MY cakes and regular for the regular cakes I make and they used to both come out the same. I forgot the username that started this thread but, I wonder if you used a box of cake that was made before they started adding the pudding or that didn't have pudding added? They used to not add milk either.

waywordz Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:41pm
post #41 of 44

Forgot to add; I do still have a copy of the Duncan Hines recipe I clipped out. It was inside just like the instructor had said it would be. And she gave me the alterations to it also. If anyone is interested.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 9:07am
post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by waywordz

Forgot to add; I do still have a copy of the Duncan Hines recipe I clipped out. It was inside just like the instructor had said it would be. And she gave me the alterations to it also. If anyone is interested.

Thanks, waywordz. I am always searching for new ways of cake making/baking, and decorating. If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to have the "secret". shhh.gif

Thanks again,
LadyMike icon_smile.gif

waywordz Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:39am
post #43 of 44

Hmmm. Ok. I found the back of the box I saved for the recipe. But, it didn't have any alterations with it. I had a post-it stuck to it that said it was on the coconut cake box that I bought in 2006. I've slept since then, maybe she didn't give me any alterations or I've lost them. I Hope if there are alterations someone can pass them on to you and me both. I rarely use Duncan Hines so, I just don't know which way it was. Hope you aren't too disappointed. In the meantime here's the recipe from the inside of the Duncan Hines box.
I scanned. Resized. Scanned on my other computer. Resized. Changed the color (made it clearer.) And tried to put it on here over and over. Wrong size. Wrong extension. No bmp, gif. ??? I don't know what I am doing, but, I know it's wrong! I have tried everything I can think of to get this picture of this box on here. (The box has pan size info for large tiers.) If someone could maybe help me it would be greatly appreciated. (This could be the dense as poundcake part. lol.) If not I'll post this later, typing up all the info myself.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 11:46pm
post #44 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebuns

I have been looking all over for a cake recipe using Dream Whip. My sister always talks about a "Dream Whip Cake" that a neighbor used to make and I had thought to make it for her for her birthday. I think that the recipe provided is a little too big, though. Has anyone tried to make it on a smaller scale?
And how would you make an icing using Dream Whip?

Indydebi's icing (in the recipe section) uses dream whip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%