Help! Add An Egg?

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 9:35pm by mommabuda

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 12

I have to make a 3D teddy bear cake for tomorrow for a baby shower and they want chocolate... normally I use the recipe on here for making it more dense but I don't have sour cream and am NOT going to the store. Could I add an egg or 2 and would that help it dense up a bit? Or any other tricks? I'm using DH devil's food cake mix BTW. Thanks!

11 replies
Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 12

I think you can use instant chocolate pudding or plain yogurt to sub for the sour cream, if you have either of those. I'm not 100% sure about adding an egg, but I THINK it does help dense up the cake.

mommabuda Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 12

Darn, no pudding or yogurt here... I'm going to try the egg and see what happens... worse comes to worse I'll be redoing it all icon_smile.gif

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 12

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 12

I always use jumbo eggs in all my recipes. Seems to keep the cakes more dense. Good luck!!!

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 12

i wish i could help...but keep us posted on how that works out!!!! good luck........

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 12

I have never tried it, but my instructor said apple sauce if nothing else. Just passing it on.

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 12

You can use mayonaise in place of othe sour cream.

mommabuda Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 12

Oh darn, I had mayo! lol... I just put it in the oven with an extra egg for each cake mix (so 2 total)... as long as I don't have a foot fall off the bear, I'm good... icon_smile.gif

mommabuda Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 12

Oh my gosh! I way overfilled the bear! lol... I had to slide another cookie sheet underneath to catch everything that keeps overflowing from it... aahhhhh!!! lol... I scooped it out 3 times already and it's STILL overflowing!

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:26pm
post #11 of 12

I like to add a little more veg oil and tad less water than the recipe calls for. I like to bake at 325 also.
I usually have pretty good results, but I thing the eggs will add the need fat too! By the way, your Jack Sparrow picture is wonderful!!!! What great work!!!

mommabuda Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:35pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyLaLa

I usually have pretty good results, but I thing the eggs will add the need fat too! By the way, your Jack Sparrow picture is wonderful!!!! What great work!!!

Awww, thanks!!! lol... that's one cake I'll never try again but I was happy with the result... just way too much of a headache!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%