Concerned About Foam Roller?

Decorating By Melvira Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 5:38pm by mkolmar

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:54am
post #1 of 14

I know some people have expressed some concern about the 'food safe' issue with using the Melvira Method foam roller on their cakes. Many options have been suggested, including using a Viva or typing paper between the icing and the roller, and these are all excellent options. I just wanted to point out that as I type this I am watching Alton Brown apply an egg wash to his homemade ravioli using... you guessed it, a foam paint trim roller!! (Different shape than the one I use.) I just thought this might help some people feel a little more relaxed about using this item. If Food Network is supporting the use of this item for food related purposes, who am I to argue!! icon_wink.gif

13 replies
penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:13am
post #2 of 14

Great point!

Melvira Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks! I'm not trying to annoy anyone who has expressed concerns, I just want them to know that I'm not alone in suggesting it's use for various food related things. And you'd hope that a huge corporation like that would've done their research! icon_wink.gif

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 14

I for one have never been concerned and I am truly glad you came up with this method, becuase until then I never could get a cake smooth !! Thanks for the heads up on this isssue though. I agree, if they are using it , why can't we??

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 14

I also saw mario botali <sp> use one to coat garlic butter over his fried biscuits in a special on his personal history story on foodnetwork just 2 days ago...melvira you been cheatin on us with food network stars now????? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sdae

I also saw mario botali <sp> use one to coat garlic butter over his fried biscuits in a special on his personal history story on foodnetwork just 2 days ago...melvira you been cheatin on us with food network stars now????? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

With Alton, yes... Mario... that's a big old HECK NO!! YUK!!! But, Alton and I weren't exactly discreet... perhaps sweaty armpit guy saw us and thought it sounded like a good idea! icon_lol.gif

Edited to add: Thank you frstech, your vote of confidence is appreciated!

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 14

I've never been concerned with the safety - I just can't thank you enough for introducing this method to us . It really saves me lots of time & frustration. The best thing is, it works EVERY TIME!! THANKS AGAIN!!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sdae

With Alton, yes... Mario... that's a big old HECK NO!! YUK!!! But, Alton and I weren't exactly discreet... perhaps sweaty armpit guy saw us and thought it sounded like a good idea! icon_lol.gif

Edited to add: Thank you frstech, your vote of confidence is appreciated!

EEEEEWWWWWWW! SWEATY ARMPIT GUY!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 14

OMG I can't believe you said FRIED BISCUIT!!! I am SOOOO in the mood for a fried biscuit..

Melvira I love the roller method btw!!!

Have a wonderful day!

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:17pm
post #10 of 14

OK please remind me how it works.

You let the icing crust first right? I have never tried it but I just cant seem to make my buttercream smooth to save my life!!!

Melvira Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate

OK please remind me how it works.

You let the icing crust first right? I have never tried it but I just cant seem to make my buttercream smooth to save my life!!!

No problem at all! Here is the link to the article!! I hope you try it out and find success. A lot of people who swore they'd never have a smooth cake are now turning out some of the most amazing fondant-look cakes I've seen in a long time! icon_wink.gif http://cakecentral.com/article83-Quick--Easy-Smooth-Icing-Using-a-Roller-Melvira-Method.html

And yes, fried biscuits, especially with garlic on them is right up my alley too. Of course, in the third trimester anything EDIBLE is up my alley! Hehehehe!

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:12am
post #12 of 14

I have never been worried about using the roller. I was much more worried about horrible looking icing LOL. Thanks for pointing that out though!

I love my Melvira (that's my roller's name LOL)

Thanks again Melvira!!!!!!! You are a genius for sharing the paint roller idea!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:30am
post #13 of 14

Hey, I washed mine with dishwashing liquid before I used it - what's to worry about. I don't think that's any different from letting a ribbon touch a cake (the one I used on top of my cake as a bow I also washed first) or using scrapers, rulers, etc. bought at home improvement stores or even cake decorating supplies bought at craft stores. They're always washed before they make contact with a cake.

Besides I've used the Melvira method and it works. I ain't goin' back now!!!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:38pm
post #14 of 14

Melvira I thought Alton was mine! (at least that's what I keep telling myself when DH is out of earshot range.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%