Number Shaped Cake Idea- Need Suggestions Quickly!!!

Decorating By knel Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 10:46am by misha35

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 10

I am doing a "21" cake. The cake is actually two cakes; a "2" and a "1". One cake is to be white/white BC and the other is to be choc/choc BC. The other color is a teal blue. The cake is for a guy. What kind of decorations could I put on the cakes (so they coordinate better with each other) that are manly? Do polka dots and stripes work for a man???? I thought about doing paisley, but I don't want to do both cakes that way.
Please help! Thanks

9 replies
flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 10

I think polka dots and stripes are a perfect way to tie the two together.
Maybe you could a few stripes that look like they go across both cakes on the diagonal and then some polka dots above and below the stripes. The stripes would kind of give it a "racing stripe" effect, so that's manly to me!
Good luck!

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 10

I'd stick w/ simple. I suggest not making the teal too "girly" Make it a dark tone. Maybe pipe a dot or rope border using a large tip.

Hookste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hookste Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 10

I would keep the colors in white, teal and brown on both. I have seen a few cakes done in those colors (specifically with stripes) and they looked fairly masculine. I would go as dark on the teal as you can. I think if you add more colors, it may look kind of like Easter. If I come across the picture, I will let you know. I think less is more on the decoration of these cakes. Good luck!

knel Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 10

What if I use more of a bluer blue than teal. Would that help? I even thought about green or lime green???

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 10

I think the bluer the better - I would stay away from lime green.

I like the racing stripe idea. How about a wide vertical stripe down the middle of each (choc on the white cake, white on the choc cake) and then a thinner teal stripe on each side of the wide stripe. That would pull the base color from each cake and create a more cohesive look.

For border work I suggest a flat tip, run around the bottom. I did a "2" last night and it was the best border for a shape like this - very clean and you can go from either direction, making it easier on the inside curves.

knel Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 10

thanks everyone for all of your suggestions... I tried to combine them all and this is what I came up with... The pixels must be too big to attach, so if you want to see what I ended up with, check out my pics. It will be easy to spot. It's a "2" "1". icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 10

knel - I can only view the thumbnail in your album but from what I can see I'd say *WOW!!* how awesomeicon_smile.gif Looks really great for a masculine design!
Wish I could really see it but I'm still having major problems w/this site not loading for meicon_sad.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 8:36am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by knel

thanks everyone for all of your suggestions... I tried to combine them all and this is what I came up with... The pixels must be too big to attach, so if you want to see what I ended up with, check out my pics. It will be easy to spot. It's a "2" "1". icon_biggrin.gif

That turned out really great. Definitely suitable as a masculine cake. Good job! icon_smile.gif

misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 10:46am
post #10 of 10

your cakes turned out great!!!!1
I have a habit if trying to keep all of the cake on one board - you really don't notice it's on 2 but I bet it makes it much easier to work with (I was looking cause WOW they look great!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%