Does Anybody Have Any Tips And Advice On Roses

Decorating By paintinggrams Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 12:56pm by galliesway

paintinggrams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paintinggrams Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 16

I'm so frustrated!!!! I have been practicing roses since last year when I took Course one and I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I wish I knew what I was doing wrong. Not sure if it's my icing conistency or what. One minute it's falling over and then I thicken it and then the petals are choppy. I'm seriously contemplating whether I should do course one again. I hate to spend the money and have a instructor like my first who had her favorites in class and seem to spend all her time just helping them. Anyone with any suggestions or tips I'd greatly appreciate it. I have spent the most of the last year doing cookies just because I don't feel like I could do cakes especially if someone asked for roses on it. Lynda

15 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 16

have you tried the witch's hat nail?

middysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
middysmom Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:31am
post #3 of 16

what is a witch's hat nail i had trouble making roses also and someone called it a witch's hat nail is that the same as the nail you make the roses on thank you dorothy from tenn

middysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
middysmom Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:35am
post #4 of 16

what is a witch's hat nail i had trouble making roses also and someone called it a witch's hat nail is that the same as the nail you make the roses on thank you dorothy from tenn

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 10:07am
post #5 of 16

I wish you luck, and wish I could help. My roses look terrible. Now if I called them cabbages they would be GREAT icon_cool.gif LOL

Mike

MomMomX3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomMomX3 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 16

I too can not seem to get the roses. Also my instructor seemed partial to a few in our class, and I must say was very frustrating that I almost didn't even finish the class. My daughter told me to hang in there mom! So I did but still can't make a rose to save my life! Course 2 is starting up but its the same instructor?? What to do?
And what is the witch's nail???

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 16

I see roses on here that are just masterpieces .... mine dont' even come close to looking as real as many of these BC roses.

But you know what? I don't worry about it. Even God doesnt' make a perfect rose every time. The folks I make icing roses for ... they can't make them at all, so they think they look beautiful!!

If your roses are plopping over, you may not be making your base wide enough. Work on making them faster, not necessarily better. The better will come. If you are working too slow, the heat from your hand may be affecting the icing in the bag (so if you're working slow, you're holding the bag longer).

On lots of BC work, as we start to learn a new technique, it's our natural tendency to "take it slow" to try to get it right, when moving faster is better, easier and results in a better looking whatever-it-is-we're-making.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 16

Sorry to hear you had a so-so instructor - I just took the Wilton 1 class and had a really good one.

But since I'm currently in college now - and have worked in a college for many years - I do know that no matter what the course is, you have to advocate for yourself, to the point of being aggressive if necessary. In other words, speak up - ask for help, ask questions, get the attention and instruction you need.

If you're taking Class 2, you can ask the instructor to continue to help you with the roses - ask her if you can meet her 15 minutes early or stay after 15 minutes so she can go over it again with you.

Otherwise - it's just a matter of practice - and there's no getting around that. I'm rather pleased with how the roses came out on my finale cake for the course, but I had been practicing earlier in the week, where maybe one rose came out nice for every 3 roses I tried to make.

Here's my finale cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1204078

(Yeah, I need to work on the leaves too LOL)

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 16

maybe you would be happier if you tried some other methods (besides BC) roses

gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 16

I took Wilton and also found the roses difficult and the two step process a pain-
I now use a dowel stick and even though they are still difficult to do without a ton of practice, they are ultimately easier, IMO, and look better also, IMO!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1203449
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1187436

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 3:27pm
post #11 of 16

Dragonflydreams - Thanks for posting all those tutorials. I've never seen a bubblegum rose before!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 3:53pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwdonlon

Dragonflydreams - Thanks for posting all those tutorials. I've never seen a bubblegum rose before!

. . . your welcome . . . guess those are for people who want truly "edible" flowers. . . you can make many of these out of starburst candies too (also for the edible aspect - and depending on your cake I guess) . . .

here is quite possibly my most favorite tutorial of all . . . boy does this lady have talent (when I grow up . . . icon_lol.gif )

http://www.wildflowersbylori.com/Meet%20Lori.htm

scentnita123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scentnita123 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 4:37pm
post #13 of 16

Thank You Dragon Fly Dreams..I live in New Jersey and I was looking for someone teaching classes in my area...This is perfect for me...too bad her spring classes are full but I will definitely enroll for the Fall class...Her work is beautiful.....My roses also looks like a glob of icing...I tried making the icing thicker but they still didnt come out correct. I actually think I was working too fast when trying to create the roses and in rushing I was unable to get the petals to look like petals...I gave up an djust started ordering the Royal Icing premade roses. My customers complain that they are too hard but they like how it looks like an actual roses. So far I have been able to dodge the customers demanding the bittercream roses but I dont know how long I can keep up this charade...lol

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 4:55pm
post #14 of 16

I teach classes and I dont let my students get out of the course without getting the rose..I even tell them if they forget, to comeback to me and I will teach them again. I bet for those who had try the skewer rose if you go back to the nail I bet you can do it too..Is the same technique.
Anyway, Keep trying and practicing..and know that there are plenty of other flowers you can use too
Good luck!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 5:23pm
post #15 of 16

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=DT0910&bhcd2=1207070466

heres the nail. eliminates the bc center of the flower which likes to topple.

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:56pm
post #16 of 16

Thank god I am not the only one! this why didn't take course 2. I'm more interested in fondant & gumpaste anyway. Thanks for the info!

Kelley

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%