I Need Help>>>

Decorating By lelajoyce Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 6:01pm by BROOKSIE007

lelajoyce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lelajoyce Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 9

decorating a cake is not the big deal for me. It is getting a nice canvas!!!!!

last night i baked and cooled a 2 layer chocolate.....My frosting seemed to be the right consitancy. My problem this time was that the cake was chocolate and you could see the rim on the sides of where the two cakes meet. i tried to add more frosting on the sides but when i would go to smooth it the cake would still show through....any tips. i did use a cake icer tip.

Also does anyone have any tips for not getting icing on your cake board or plate while frosting. I always seem to make a mess

thanks

8 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 9

Just try to put enough icing to where you can smooth it without the cake showing through...try using less pressure when smoothing maybe?

As far as not making a mess....try icing the cake on a plain board and then refrigerate until firm....then put a piece of double stick carpet tape on the wrapped board and slide the firm iced cake onto the decorated board on top of the tape so that it does not slide around. Then decorate.

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 9

I put my cake on a cardboard the same size as the cake then put this on a larger "scrap" board. After I ice the cake I can move the cake with the same size board to my nice board to decorate.

As for seeing the cake through the icing. Make sure you put a really thick layer of icing on the sides to start about 1/2". Then slowly scrape it off as you smooth. It takes some practice. Sometimes I trim a bit of the sides in the area between the two layers if there is a small bulge to keep it from sticking out and showing though the icing.

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 9

Was there a lot filling in between your layers? I usually fill the gap with icing when I'm crumb coating. I've had this happen more than once to me. I usually have to bite the bullet at frost the cake put it in fridge until firm and than add another layer of frosting. Kind of a pain. As for the mess I usually use a hot inverted spatula and a paper towel to pick up the extras. I've heard putting parchement squares around cake and removing after. Seems like to much work for me!!!!!!

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 9

Another thing that can be causing your cake edges to show through is if you are using pans that have slightly flared edges...not perfectly straight. If they are flared put your bottom cake "bottom-up" and then your next cake bottom-down so that the meeting edges are the same size. Also remember not to "ice to the cake"...by following exactly the cake lines but to ice for your desired finished look.

As for keeping your cake board clean I've found that if you tuck strips of wax paper under the edges of your cake, then ice - once you're all done icing just gently pull them out and you've got a perfectly clean board. HTH

lelajoyce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lelajoyce Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you all so much...I have been using strips of wax paper on my board but I let it crust over and then slip them out....it has been pulling my icing/cake out a bit and the sides then no longer look straight...should i take them out right after frosting...before i let the buttercream crust??

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 9

Yes, pull the strips out before the BC crusts. Sometimes you may have to do a little smoothing of the bottom edge but usually not.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:51pm
post #8 of 9

1) are you using a cake icer tip?
2) are you crumbcoating the cake 1st?
3) yes, take the strips out about 5 minutes after icing is finished. That give it some time to start setting up, but not get overly hard.
I agree choco cakes are a bit harder to cover.
You have to put enough icing on. When finished it should be about 1/4" thick. The icer tip does just that....then all you have to do is slightly smooth it.
Don't scrape the icing off when smoothingicon_smile.gif Just smooth out any 'burps' there might be & the lines where the two stripes of icing meet.

BROOKSIE007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BROOKSIE007 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 9

When I do chocolate cakes. I do a good crumb coat. I also put it in the fridge. Let it crust. Take it out. Put a good amount of icing on now. Let it crust. When you smooth use very light pressure. I smooth with Viva paper towels and a fondant smoother.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%