Buttercream Under Fondant

Decorating By kentuckyjode Updated 27 Mar 2008 , 11:52am by Ellistwins

kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 10

How thick of a layer of buttercream do you put on under fondant?

9 replies
teenteen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teenteen Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 10

A very thin layer over the cake to crumb coat it. You want a smooth surface to lay the fondant on.

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 10

I use more than a crumb coat, but less than if it was iced only in bc. You may want to search the archives, there has been a lot of discussion about this. I think it really boils down to trial and error to find out what works for you - everyone does it a little differently. Hope that helps!

Bec

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 10

I do a basic crumbcoat, then when that dries, I'll do another thin layer of buttercream... same as i_heart_pastry...

HTH

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 10

I find that doing a nice layer of butter cream and smoothing out just like when your icing a regular bc cake and putting it in the freezer just until the butter cream is pretty firm really cuts down on the "cellulite" that soft butter cream makes. Also most people peel the fondant off, so I'd like there to be frosting under so it's just not cake and fondant.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 10

i do a slightly thicker than usual crumb coat.. not super thin, but not as thick as if it were just bc...

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 10

same as I---heart---pastry

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 10

Same as Wendy LaLa Image

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 10

I trim my cake sides to make them straight; apply CC of BC; zap in freezer a few minutes and then cover with 3/16-1/4 inch fondnat.

HTH

Ellistwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellistwins Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:52am
post #10 of 10

Nowadays I do the crumb base, and in the freezer, then i put a thicker layer to get a smooth surfuce, in the freezer again and I also smooth it out with a roller, then i get a really neat surface and when the BC is frozen and you are lucky enough you get a second chance if the Fondant does not fit properly without wasting the fondant.
However i do use a thinner layer of BC than i would with BC only.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%